Top Tier Gasoline = only 5 miles more per tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many have probably seen the new BP "Best Fuel Ever" advertisements on their Invigorate formula, which is a Top Tier fuel designee.

What is interesting is to take note of the disclaimer BP has attached to the new advertisement, which gives us some insight to what is actually gained with Invigorate:

Quote:
Compared to minimum detergent gasoline. Requires continuous use over 5000 miles. Restores an average of 3 - 5 miles per tank that had been lost due to deposits. Based on fleet testing representative of the U.S. car population. Fuel economy can be affected by many factors. Benefits may be more significant in older model vehicles.

While this is not indicative of all Top Tier gasoline, it does beg the question of how much benefit it gained from Top Tier gasoline.

Let's stick with BP as our example fuel, and use the assumption of 5 miles gained per tank. On a 2016 Ford Focus, which claims 372 miles of total fuel range, 5 miles represents 1.3% of total fuel range. And that certainly seems in-line from a fuel efficiency standpoint of other fuel efficiency products: M1 FE advertises a 1-3% fuel economy increase, LRR tires often advertise a 2-4% fuel economy increase, etc.

But how does this 5 miles gained per tank look from a financial stand point? Assuming $2.60 (the current price of gasoline in Ohio), 30 MPG, 372 miles of range from a clean engine, and 367 miles of range from a dirty engine; using BP Invigorate protects a 2016 Ford Focus against $0.43 of lost fuel range due to deposit build up. (You can calculate this by dividing the total fuel range by the MPG to determine total fuel usage, and multiply by cost of fuel)

So a conclusion: Top Tier fuel is always recommended for usage, especially when it is the same price as non-Top Tier fuel. However, using Top Tier fuel will not lend to dramatic performance changes, and only realistically will provide a 1-2% increase in fuel range compared to worst case scenarios.

Top Tier isn't about going further on a gallon of gas. It's about detergents that keep the engine internals cleaner than companies who use only the minimum additives required by law.

The use of the word "restores" implies that the fuel cleans your engine in such a way that it becomes more efficient and gets better fuel economy, not that the fuel itself has a higher energy density than non-top tier gasoline. This of course assumes your engine needs cleaning in the first place, and even if it does need cleaning once it has been "cleaned" the economy will no longer improve.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Top Tier isn't about going further on a gallon of gas. It's about detergents that keep the engine internals cleaner than companies who use only the minimum additives required by law.
And what "engine internals" are those other than the back of the valve tops and injectors? On DI engines probably not even the valve tops. The minimum additive standard, set by government regulation, does a reasonable job of that. I've got 350K o n a Camry which has only received "Top Tier" by accident.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The use of the word "restores" implies that the fuel cleans your engine in such a way that it becomes more efficient and gets better fuel economy, not that the fuel itself has a higher energy density than non-top tier gasoline. This of course assumes your engine needs cleaning in the first place, and even if it does need cleaning once it has been "cleaned" the economy will no longer improve.
+1 The only "Top Tier" gas in my area is Shell and they want 20 cents more a gallon.

I know my OM says if I don't use "Top Tier" Gasoline, it's considered maintenance to come in and get "Super Hyundai STP Seafoam Gumout Treatment" for 105$.........
I normally go to Valero anyway, unless I am traveling Interstates, I will go to Loves/TA/Flying J/Pilot, Normally theyre supplied by Valero or EXXON.

Hey man, really though, I just replaced my spark plugs in my Fit after 5 years of only using Top Tier (ESSO).

The plugs were SPOTLESS.

Is more detergent worth the few pennies extra?

In my book, for sure.

I know pics or it "didn't happen" but really going to crummy gas stations to save MAYBE 1 cent a litre is a total waste of my time.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
And what "engine internals" are those other than the back of the valve tops and injectors? On DI engines probably not even the valve tops. The minimum additive standard, set by government regulation, does a reasonable job of that. I've got 350K o n a Camry which has only received "Top Tier" by accident.

Not all engines are created equal..

might be more important in a turbo engine making 130hp/liter.

HerrStig...

Top Tier is the same price as non Top Tier in this area. In GDI engines, TT more about keeping the highly pressurized fuel pump and injectors clean and flowing as per spec since spray pattern and frequency are just as important as the valves.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I know my OM says if I don't use "Top Tier" Gasoline, it's considered maintenance to come in and get "Super Hyundai STP Seafoam Gumout Treatment" for 105$.........

For a GDI deposit cleanup? That's a great price! One buddy paid roughly $400 about two years ago to get his BMW 335i cleaned.

Originally Posted By: wemay

For a GDI deposit cleanup? That's a great price! One buddy paid roughly $400 about two years ago to get his BMW 335i cleaned.

Except, literally, it comes out of a can akin to a seafoam can, and all they do is one in the gas, one in the engine, and flush and change oil afterwards.
If I remember correctly, they told me when I do come in for it, to have very little gas left.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Hey man, really though, I just replaced my spark plugs in my Fit after 5 years of only using Top Tier (ESSO).

The plugs were SPOTLESS.

In my book, for sure.

I know pics or it "didn't happen" but really going to crummy gas stations to save MAYBE 1 cent a litre is a total waste of my time.

Interesting. I changed the plugs in our Durango this spring, and they've never seen "Top Tier" gasoline in their 10 years/120,000 miles. While they weren't SPOTLESS, they were perfectly acceptable for that age and mileage. The Durango ran the same both before and after the plug change. And I was able to get twice the mileage out of my plugs using fuel from "crummy" gas stations than you were by using "Top Tier" gas.

Driving around trying to find "Top Tier" and spending several cents more per gallon to achieve the same results would be a total waste of my time.

Except, literally, it comes out of a can akin to a seafoam can, and all they do is one in the gas, one in the engine, and flush and change oil afterwards.
If I remember correctly, they told me when I do come in for it, to have very little gas left.

LOL... ok, now i understand. That is pretty ridiculous then. The buddy i mentioned had his valve cover removed etc. At least that's what he was told.

I've never seen "bad" plugs on any car that didn't have a mechanical problem. I don't think that's where poor gasoline would manifest itself.

The plugs were SPOTLESS.

In my book, for sure.

Pop_Rivit,

I'm sure it's a waste of time in some applications. But in others, not so much.

What i don't understand is how some people need to "drive around" to find a TT station. Around here, that's all we have...

Shell
Chevron
Costco
Mobil
Exxon
Valero
BP
Citgo

The only non-TT is Marathon.

What i don't understand is how some people need to "drive around" to find a TT station. Around here, that's all we have...

Shell
Chevron
Costco
Mobil
Exxon
Valero
BP
Citgo

The only non-TT is Marathon.

Texaco
Citgo
Valero
Chevron
Exxon
Shell

all I've really seen around here.
non TT is Cefco, Sams, HEB, Walmart, Stripes

Back home we had Citgo (non Ethanol)
Chevron
BP
Shell
With Racetrac, Wawa, Sunoco, WM/Sams, and the occasional WinnDixie as non TT

Sadly, the truck in Sig was more responsive using Sunoco gas in high school, averaged better fuel economy. Always filled up there, when they had rewards cards for pennies off of gas as well as drinks. They also never carded for Dip.. at 240K+ Miles, the plugs and engine internals are spotless, that engine has survived most of its life on Sunoco and Racetrac gasoline, with everything from Amsoil 0w20 SS to QSGB 10w40 to Rotella 15w40

The only time the truck felt a little off was using Autolite Platinum Plugs. Which were swapped back to NGK after 15K miles.

Last edited:
I always get less mileage when I use "top tier". I stick with Pilot or Kroger gas, since they are convenient to me.

For all I know, they are "top tier".

The plugs were SPOTLESS.

In my book, for sure.

It's 20 cents here . If your plugs were "spotless, why were they replaced?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back