Marlin Model 60 Stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I was thinking of picking up a Marlin Model 60. I understand that Remington bought out Marlin not long ago, and was wondering if the 'laminated hardwood' stock is something that was done under Marlin before Remington acquired Marlin. Seems the most current Model 60 has just a plain stained pine stock without the nice looking lamination. Marlin still shows the stock to be 'walnut-finished laminated hardwood' on their website, so I'm wondering why I'm not seeing the laminated stocks at the stores like the one pictured below?

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60.asp

wm_7280803.jpg

They make runs of them from time to time in coffee colored laminate. I have 3 Marlin Model 60's. The first one is a Birched stocked 22" barrel model from the early 80's. It holds 17 rounds. The other is a Walnut Stocked 50th Anniversary Model. (Cabela's still offers them with the Walnut stock from time to time). The third is a grey laminated stock Stainless Steel Model. It is of current production. Both the Walnut and grey laminate are 18" barreled models that hold 15 rounds. They are also currently offered in a black synthetic stock, as well as a camo version. It's pretty hard to find a more accurate semi auto .22 rifle in today's market.

Remington did not buy them, the Freedom Group bought them. They also own Remington, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, Para Ordnance, DPMS, Harrington and Richardson, and a few more.

Originally Posted By: billt460
They make runs of them from time to time in coffee colored laminate. I have 3 Marlin Model 60's.

Nice group of Marlin 60s. The plain wood stock on the new production guns isn't much to look at. I really want to find one with the walnut finished walnut (stained) stock ... looks nice IMO. The gray laminated stock looks great with the stainless model.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Remington did not buy them, the Freedom Group bought them. They also own Remington, Bushmaster, Dakota Arms, Para Ordnance, DPMS, Harrington and Richardson, and a few more.

Thanks, didn't know the details. Just heard a couple times at the local gun stores guys saying that "Remington bought out Marlin", so apparently not quite accurate on their part.

So I dug into the Marlin 60 wood stocks again, wondering why new ones come with plain looking stained birch stocks instead of the advertised (by Marlin) hardwood laminated stocks.

I called Marlin and asked them if they dropped making the laminated stocks, and the gal told me their supplier's factory for the laminated stocks burned down about 8 months ago so they had to go to another supplier who couldn't do laminated stocks. She said they expect to have laminated stocks on the Marlin 60s start making it into production in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back