Best Penetrating Oil for Rusted Automotive Fasteners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it better to spray on hot parts or on cold parts for soaking?

Also somebody (CRC ?) makes Freeze Off? How is that one?

I had a can of Kroil for years that worked good, but man that smell just will not go away. My brother needed some penetrating fluid for a mower he was working on, so I gave him the little bit that was left. Bought a can of Liquid Wrench, and it has been working very good, and does not stink like the Kroil.

I used Kroil on some nuts on a strut tower that was inside of my trunk, and it took over a week before the smell toned down inside of the car, and that was leaving the trunk open to air out too.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Kroil.
I'll up the ante one. My fav is SiliKroil (Kriol w silicone).

2nd. Very rarely has this not done the trick, even up here in the Salt belt.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Kroil.
I'll up the ante one. My fav is SiliKroil (Kriol w silicone).
+1

I have tried a lot of them as well. Kroil seems to work the best for me.

Liquid wrench would probably be my second place. The ATF/Acetone mix didn't seem to be that great. Although the foaming, bubbling, aerosol action of the commercially made stuff does seem to help and maybe that gives it an advantage.

GM heat riser lubricant. Although heat risers don't really exist anymore. It's a graphite based lubricant. It's important to shake well before spraying. I've soaked rusted to nothing bolts over night in a cap filled with it. Ate all the rust off and left the bolt usable.

I'm emptying my can of Liquid Wrench and using my Kroil (my brother went to Nashville so NO SHIPPING!)
I always;
APPLY
HIT WITH WIRE BRUSH
REAPPLY
SEE YA TOMORROW

Blows my mind (not difficult) to see people spray then reach for a wrench. What are they thinking? This stuff ain't magic.

I have a well made little Westwood window fan. It had always made a slight dinging noise I couldn't cure, despite trying light Si grease, Mobil !, Rem oil for firearms, and some general purpose Tuffoil. One day, since my Kriol was nearby I gave both bearings a shot of Kriol. The noise went away. I thought: " This can't last". It's been a month, the fan runs 24/7 in hot weather and it's still quiet. Don't quite know waht to make of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back