Honda HRR216 drive - cheap fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mva

My 13 year old Honda HRR216 mower rear wheel drive was not working anymore. It would pull intermittently or not at all.

I changed out the belt with the correct Honda replacement, thinking that it is pretty old - I can't remember the last time I changed it. This didn't help.

Then I tightened up the drive belt adjustment as far as it would go - still didn't help. I searched the internet but didn't find any good information on how to fix other than changing out the $200 transmission.

Finally I wired the drive lever in the engaged position and flipped over the mower. I noticed that the cable that activates the drive didn't seem to be very tight with the wheel drive lever engaged.

I took the handle off and drilled a new hole to make the cable about 1/4" tighter and put it back together - ureka! now the mower works again! It turns out that the handle and cable attachments had worn enough that the drive lever on the transmission was not fully engaging.

I thought I should post this information in case anyone else has this issue. This single speed mower and very similar 3 speed models have been made for many years.

Yep, I've got the same mower.

The more typical problem is corroded axle bushings for the drive axle. They'll bind-up so tight, the belt will slip and you'll lose drive. I know 660mag has addressed this issue a few times. I would suspect this is the route of your problems.

I know with mine, it will work OK for 10min or so, then the bushings will start to bind and it's not worth a poop. I plan to tear into it this fall/winter. It's my backup mower that I rarely use anymore.

Joel

Thanks for the info - I will keep it in mind. I'm assuming you are talking about part #12 in this link:

http://www.planopower.com/store/honda/honda_rear_wheel_hrs216_self_propelled.shtml

I just cut the entire lawn and the mower ran great today. I think I have the problem solved for now. When the issue started I cleaned and lubed everything related to the drive so maybe my fix is temporary. Mind you, it wouldn't work right until I took the slop out of the drive lever cable, which has no adjustment. The cable actuates a little lever on the transmission that was not fully engaging.

The mower still runs and cuts great so i would like to keep it going if I can without spending too much on parts.

Yes, I believe it it the #12 in that diagram. It's a tough bugger to troubleshoot because there's no easy way to 'test spin' the drive axle in neutral so to speak. The bushings can be cleaned up with emery paper and re-lubed from what I understand. I've been shooting mine with spray lube the few times I've used the mower this year. It doesn't last long.

I didn't catch it at first, but I've actually got the HRS216 (no rear-bagging capability). The HRS216 has a tensioner adjuster bolt for the drive belt sticking out the back of the mower. Apparently the HRR's can't have that with the back flap in the way.

Joel

My mower also has that bolt but all it does is adjust spring tension on the belt drive. I replaced the belt and tightened the belt spring as far as it would go.

I my case I believe the belt was fine but the transmission was slipping or not engaging.

Wow, out of adjustment with the tensioner and still not tight enough? I'm thinking something besides the belt stretched or moved somewhow! Either way, sounds like you've got it sorted.

I know I had problems when I ordered a new self-propell cable for mine. There was absolutely no way to install the handle-bar end of the cable without Franken-modding the plastic throttle control bracket to accept the new cable. Super frustrating. Much of these machines is easy to work on and well designed, some not so much.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yep, I've got the same mower.

The more typical problem is corroded axle bushings for the drive axle. They'll bind-up so tight, the belt will slip and you'll lose drive. I know 660mag has addressed this issue a few times. I would suspect this is the route of your problems.

I know with mine, it will work OK for 10min or so, then the bushings will start to bind and it's not worth a poop. I plan to tear into it this fall/winter. It's my backup mower that I rarely use anymore.

Joel

Joel,

Thanks for posting this a while back. I found this post using a Google search. My little Honda mower got wet from Hurricane Joaquin back in October 2015. It sits in my shed and we were out of town, it was sitting axle deep for that storm. Not good. But I took it apart and cleaned the rear axle and bushings and now all works like new. I was thinking water had gotten in the transaxle. Nope. Thanks for saving me some $$$!!!

Gerry-

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for you Gerry.

It's an easy enough job once you get into it. It's a shame how much damage it will cause if you don't address a few stupid bushings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back