Tractor grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine makes house pads with a decent sized case tractor. He says he's had lots of problems with the linkage that lifts the bucket up and down.i guess every pivot point has a zerk for grease.

He greases it daily. He tried Lucas red and tacky and said it was awful. He then switched to Lucas heavy duty.he said that's better but still getting lots of wear. I was wondering if a moly grease would be a better choice?

Last edited:
I'd look for something with moly in it. Not sure about "locally available" greases, but Schaeffers makes a lot that people rave about. I'm sure many will chime in with other suggestions.

3-5% Moly grease seems like a good idea to me, so that's what I now use on my loader. Even these greases vary alot in load testing so it would be worthwhile for him to do some reading on testing and get a grease with actual specs available.
I used to follow the "any grease applied often" is good enough but I do have some more slop in the pins than when it was new.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Maybe he overloads the bucket.

Or uses it as a bulldozer. I try hard not bulldoze undisturbed dirt but I'm not usually in a hurry.

The best grease is the grease that you use..old saying. On pivot points you cant fix worn parts with better grease..Pins arent lifetime parts so your friend needs to think about that.

In your friends application i dont think a synthetic boutique grease would work any better than a stick of Napa Multipurpose grease.

If we were talking about u joints this would be a different application, but load bearing pins just need grease period.

Loader, backhoe, and bucket pins are a horrible environment. The absolute supremacy of the grease is a lot less important than just keeping clean grease IN the joint at all times. I'd consider a highly water-resistant conventional grease or a Bentonite grease, used daily. Those aren't super-duper lubricants, but this isn't an Omega watch, either. They have the advantage of staying where you put them, and "decent" but continuous lube is better than superb lubrication that contaminates out quickly.

Curious what problems your friend is having? Its normal for pins to loosen up over time. Used Chevron EP2 on heavy equipment for 40 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Curious what problems your friend is having? Its normal for pins to loosen up over time. Used Chevron EP2 on heavy equipment for 40 years.
I guess he's constantly fixing worn parts.He comes from a tractor family so I dont think its from misuse or abuse. He says he greases it daily. Rain is not an issue here so thats not it.

Fella named Harold McAllister padded a lot for me in Hesperia around 1972. Mission St. close Santa Fe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back