Walmart quit watching their self checkout monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
In every Walmart with self checkout machines, there's a monitor machine out in the middle of the floor for store employees to monitor customer's purchases so that they don't cheat and put something back in the cart without first scanning it and placing it on the scale. But lately, nobody's been standing in front of the monitor screen. I feel like I'm being honest for nothing. I never leave the store without the receipt though.

There's a sign by the checkout machine that says I'm being watched with a camera, but I never see police cars out in the parking lot at the Walmart Neighborhood Markets like I do at the regular Walmart stores.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
lately, nobody's been standing in front of the monitor screen.

Oh, they're watching. There are cameras all over the place near the ceiling.

Walmart operates on razor-thin margins. Theft (known as "shrinkage" in the retail industry) is very damaging to the bottom line, so they ARE watching.

You just go ahead and try and "forget" to scan something. You will not make it to the front door before being accosted.

I'm a Cashier at a different retailer with the same machines. we aren't allowed to stand behind the station, unless we are processing a check, or something else that necessitates it.

we are to be circulating through the self checkouts, interacting with, and assisting customers, and preforming any and all needed overrides at the checkouts themselves.
Our corporate HQ has gotten serious enough about it, that they get weekly reports on overrides done at the station, and we get write ups for more than a couple.

Last edited:
The police are getting called out to the local WalMart all the time for shoplifters.They are watching.

My local WM is pretty bad about it too, but who knows what they've been tasked to do on top of running the self checkouts.

Lately, my go to has been Meijer for oil. Yes WM has a better A3/B4 selection, but Meijer generally has better sales such as buy a jug of oil and get a filter 50% off.

*Speaking of WM watching, apparently the localish inter-city WM had sensors up when the Pennzoil Platinum "under the cap" rebate was going on. If anyone walked by them, they would go off and the person watching the cameras was to watch the area. That is what the department head told me at least and there were little electronic boxes in the area.
21.gif

Last edited:
I feel like I'm being honest for nothing.

So, just the fact that 'stealing is bad' wouldn't be enough to keep you from doing so? It's the threat of being watched and most likely caught is what's really keeping you honest?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Oh, they're watching. There are cameras all over the place near the ceiling.

I think you're referring to the Walmart super centers where there's a camera on the ceiling every 10 feet. These Walmart Neighborhood Markets (grocery stores) don't have as many cameras. I remember when they first opened up they would be at the monitor station all the time, but now, the monitor station stays empty most of the time. It's like they don't bother to watch the monitor unless all the self checkout lines are packed full. One or two people in self checkout and they don't even bother.

One time the bell at the exit door went off as a young lady was exiting the store. I asked an employee why they weren't chasing her down. The employee told me they're not aloud to chase down customers anymore.

I absolutely refuse to use "self checkout" at any store! It is the companies responsibility to ring up and bag their stuff, not mine. If I wanted a job at walmart, I would submit a job application!

It has its advantages. You can buy your "personal stuff" without the employee handling it. Before using self checkout, I would have to find a female cashier because some stuff I don't want guys touching.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I absolutely refuse to use "self checkout" at any store! It is the companies responsibility to ring up and bag their stuff, not mine. If I wanted a job at walmart, I would submit a job application!

I like them. Don't have to deal with small talk with the cashier. I do get more free stuff from the regular check lanes, though. More than once I have had a cashier forget to ring something up and when I go to customer service to let them know and pay for the item, I get looked at like I'm an alien.

So you'd rather waste your time standing in line?

My local Wally's has 17 checkout aisles and there are never more than 3-4 manned, but there's always a self-checkout open. I can breeze right through while others are still standing there...

I'm not a big fan of self-checkout, especially at the grocery store, unless I'm getting things that are all barcoded. Forget it if you are purchasing something that has to be weighed! Still, I would guess 50% of the time I try self-checkout I need the attendant for something: won't scan, price is wrong, machine refuses to let me scan something, etc. Our WalMart always has an attendant on duty and there was a police car there on Sunday looking like they were working some crime. This is in a fairly affluent area not known for crime. I frequently read of people arrested there for stealing stuff, so I know you are being watched.

I feel like I'm being honest for nothing.

Integrity = doing the right thing even when no one is looking...

I'd just as soon use self checkout. Pay for my items and shove 'em into a pocket, no need for a bag. Less waste. What's worse is the baggers at the grocery store, most of the time they just do a poor job, stacking stuff badly.

I get the point about loss of jobs, but they aren't high paying jobs either.

I do find myself avoiding them if I buy a bottle of wine. Self checkout is useless if I have to stand there and wait for someone to ring that item.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I like them. Don't have to deal with small talk with the cashier. I do get more free stuff from the regular check lanes, though. More than once I have had a cashier forget to ring something up and when I go to customer service to let them know and pay for the item, I get looked at like I'm an alien.

I don't worry about small talk with the cashier. At my Walmart I can't understand what they are saying most of the time.

Quote:
People learned to use the machines mostly. The person was there to assist more then validate honestly l think.

Even if you know how to work them properly I find that 50% of the time something doesn't work right--usually an item that won't scan or comes up with the wrong price for something on sale. Even when using the cashier at the supermarket I catch a lot of mispriced items, but then the cashier usually just overrides it and keeps going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back