2016 hyundai tucson 1.6 turbo oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys me and my wife pulled the trigger on a new tucson with the 1.6 turbo. We pick it up monday and im already planning oil changes lol. Anyway iv only owned 1 other turbo gas engine and that was a neon srt4 and didnt have it long enough to do any oil changes. Anyway what would you guys recommend for brand and millage between changes. Owners manual is in the car and i cant look in it for the proper weight or any requierments so if anyone has any info on that it would be great thanks!

1.6L turbo as per my manual states 5w30 or 5w40 ACEA A5 Quaker State/Shell Helix

talked to Hyundai Customer Service via number in OM
Lady said to use and of the SOPUS Brands, in proper viscosity,
3K OCI for Dino
4K OCI for Semi
5K OCI for Syn

She also told me to avoid engine to use OEM filters or a MANN equivalent.

As far as I know, Hyundai recommends 5W30 oil for that engine and 5W40.
Now difference between 5W30 ACEA A1 and 5W40 that meets ACEA A3 (potentially if you want to use best) is pretty big. Difference between 0/5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4 and 0/5W40 ACEA A3/B3 B4 is not as big.
So, to cut to the chase here is what I would do:
I would go with European ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils that also meet VW 502.00, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 and Porsche A40.
Castrol 0W30 would be probably best option since it is not as heavy as 5W40, but not as thing as regular 5W30 ACEA A1 GF-5.
However, Castrol 0W30 is bit expensive.
Other VERY good option is Mobil1 0W40 FS that you can buy in Wal Mart for $22 to $27 for 5qt.
That will keep that turbo lubricated and cool for loooooooong time.
Edit: In Europe, Hyundai goes with European spec. oils that I mentioned due to high speeds there.
In LA heat, I would go as mentioned M1 0W40 FS or Castrol 0W40 (also in Wal Mart, same price).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I don't think you could go worng on M1 0w30 or 0w40

There is huge difference between M1 0W30 and 0W40.
0W30 is energy saving oil, while 0W40 is M1's premier product made to run in Porsches, AMG's etc.
Castrol 0W30 is also one of the Euro oils that have really good tracking.
In turbo application I am always for Euro spec. oils since they are heavier with HTHS of minimum 3.5cp.

Any 5w30 that meets the specs, just don't go over 5k intervals. That's the max Hyundai allows on their turbo engines. Napa full syn when it is on sale. No need to spend a bunch when you have to stick to a low change interval.

Also it is best to use the OEM filter. Even though you don't have to by law, there is a TSB on using aftermarket filters.

Here's the oil specs. ACEA A5 oils in these weights.

If you could find a 5w40, I'd use that.

2hhji44.jpg

Originally Posted By: vaportrail
Delo 400 LE Synthetic 5W-40

Cheap at walmart, one big jug should be enough, change every 5000 miles...

Does not meet ACEA A5 Specs
Engine takes 4.5qts, Delo comes in 4 qt/1gal jugs. With the price of an extra individual quart he can find something that fully meets specs.

Stick with the recommended specs and viscosity in whatever brand you'd like. Hyundai/KIA intervals are so conservative that it won't make a difference. Incidentally, I contacted Hyundai to see if our 2.0T would be "re-spec'd" to meet the A5 ONLY spec. They said "no", API/ILSAC is enough. Specs will remain as-is.

That new Tucson 1.6T is a very nice ride, enjoy.

Being its a GDI turbo engine, I recommend Castrol Extended Performance 5W30. It is an A5 oil and scored the best reported by AMSOIL in the TEOST test procedure. The very good performance Castrol achieved in that test is meaningful if you use it in a GDI and especially turbocharged GDI engine.

Red line, M1EP, Edge Titanium, and others need 2.37 OC while AMSOIL need just one to run 11,400 miles? I don't get it. Isn't 15K - 25K for each side?

Red line, M1EP, Edge Titanium, and others need 2.37 OC while AMSOIL need just one to run 11,400 miles? I don't get it. Isn't 15K - 25K for each side?

Repost powered by Chrome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

Engine takes 4.5qts, Delo comes in 4 qt/1gal jugs. With the price of an extra individual quart he can find something that fully meets specs.

I'm no genius, but the service manager at the dealership told me it's a good choice of oil for my car.

I own a 2014 1.6 turbo Hyundai, and I do my own servicing. I've learned that the 4 quart jug of oil is the correct re-fill amount according to my dipstick-

At my local walmart i can get 5w30 castrol edge with ti, edge ep, reg m1 and ep. Also pen plat. What would you guys use out of that bunch, now the filter might be an inconvenience because i would like to keep the oil and filter on the same recipt and my local walmart does not carry mann filters or oem. But does have a wide selction of fram ultras. What would you do?

From what i can read on the bottles, only Pennzoil plat 5w30 is acea a5 none of the others in 5w30 meet that. Is that correct or am i missing something here

I'm no genius, but the service manager at the dealership told me it's a good choice of oil for my car.

I own a 2014 1.6 turbo Hyundai, and I do my own servicing. I've learned that the 4 quart jug of oil is the correct re-fill amount according to my dipstick-

My 2016 1.6 Turbo states 4.5qts of oil, So maybe it has changed since or is model specific, or year specific.
But according to AMSOIL and various other sites, were both wrong on the Tucson, they all say 4.8qts.

A thing of Delo Synthetic 4qts at my Walmart is $17.96
an extra quart is $5.19
Comes out to $23.15

When he can get manufacturer recommended OEM fill in Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 in a 5QT jug for 21.97.

Or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 5qts (ACEA A5 Spec'd) for 22.47 (being that it is a SOPUS product, preferred by Hyundai)

With a 5K OCI, I see no reason to use Delo over OEM specs

Looks like the only Mobil oil that meets the ACEA A5 is "Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w30" which I believe a lot of stores have closed out on. If you can find some, it meets all the specs.

I wonder if Kmart has some getting dusty on the shelves.

And yes, QSUD 5w30 is also ACEA A5

But, if trying to choose a 40 grade as per the diagram, you won't find an A5/B5. You can certainly get an A3/B4 or E7, E9 40 grade, either of which are very robust specifications. It's pretty hard to follow the manual recommendation to the letter when the specifications look like they were written by an intoxicated lawyer.

Read the last starred note. Find me an A5 5w-20. It doesn't exist.

For an A5/B5 5w-30, the best option is probably PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back