MC FL-500S, 6,500 miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off my friends 2014 Ford Transit van with the 3.7 engine. He uses the cargo van to deliver supplies to companies all over. Had it at dealer for a oil change so it got MC 5w30 and a TG filter. Looks good to me. Made on March 2nd, 2015 also

v7xwd4.jpg

v7xwd4.jpg

9pz82g.jpg

2a8mf7b.jpg

23vb6zk.jpg

51vvcm.jpg

2mn0w95.jpg

24bokjk.jpg

33427bp.jpg

2porxty.jpg

Looks good, car51. I am putting one of these on the 5.0 next. Walmart didn't have any FRAMs of the 10575 variety. I just like the grippy end. Lol Usual Motorcraft quality here. Thanks for the C&P.

The outside of the can looks like it was dropped in a bucket of dirty oil...the inside of can and element look like they were dipped in a bucket of new oil
smile.gif

I've been trying to "get over the hump" and leave my FL500S filter on for a second oci but I didn't make it. Last week I still replaced mine at 5,500 miles. This filter looks like it could do 10k+ easy (in a clean engine). I will try again in November to resist the urge to change it.

Thanks for the C & P !

Quote:
I will try again in November to resist the urge to change it.

Why? The cost of a MC filter at Walmart is less than $4. Change it and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:

Why? The cost of a MC filter at Walmart is less than $4. Change it and sleep easy.

Yeah it's cheap (about $6 for the FL500S) but I still think it could handle two 5k-6k oci's (with ease). Hopefully it would be a little more efficient in the second oci but I'm not sure.

What does the Taurus spec for an OCI? I'd certainly go that distance with a FL500s and synthetic oil. Aren't they specing 10k OCIs for that car?

What does the Taurus spec for an OCI? I'd certainly go that distance with a FL500s and synthetic oil. Aren't they specing 10k OCIs for that car?

I believe the olm on mine is just a count down type thing (not sure). It seems to signal an OC at around 7,200 miles. I have been doing 5-6k miles on QSGB and uoa show remaining tbn of 1.9 - 2.4 (one was even 3.3).

I think mine is probably set for 7.5k oci's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Quote:

Yeah it's cheap (about $6 for the FL500S) but I still think it could handle two 5k-6k oci's (with ease). Hopefully it would be a little more efficient in the second oci but I'm not sure.
But more restrictive so the efficiency could cause the bypass to open more and longer.

Personally, I would comfortably use a FL500s for the manufacturer recommended OCI and not worry if I went over a few hundred miles, but if I wanted to go 10-15k I would switch to something like the Fram Ultra built for those extended drain intervals.

I believe the olm on mine is just a count down type thing (not sure). It seems to signal an OC at around 7,200 miles. I have been doing 5-6k miles on QSGB and uoa show remaining tbn of 1.9 - 2.4 (one was even 3.3).

I think mine is probably set for 7.5k oci's.

According to Ford's maintenance website, a 2011 Taurus SEL should have the intelligent oil life monitor but I don't know. Maybe check your Owner's manual. The intelligent OLM in our 2012 Taurus triggers a change every 8,500-10,000 & it sees mostly highway at 65-85 MPH.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Any known reason why the FL500s is twice the price of other Motorcraft filters?

I thought it was about $6 at walmart but online it shows $5.39 there. It's two-thirds the cost of the Fram Ultra equivalent (XG10575) and fully capable of two-thirds of the Ultra's interval. So at least it's not a rip off.

I don't know what the other MC filters cost but the FL500S seems to be an excellent filter and while not a big filter, it's not a lil' bitty thing either (as far as car filters go). A good value in my opinion.

I've hacked open 3 of these FL500S' (at 5,100-5,900 miles) and they all look like the one in this thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Quote:

But more restrictive so the efficiency could cause the bypass to open more and longer.

Fair point but 10-12k miles should be a piece of cake. ...I think. I was wondering if 5-6k miles would even load it up enough to be much more efficient than new.

A few tests using particle count would help find out.

Blue: think u either mis understood or.....

I changed oil in the van for him and put a tough guard filter on sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back