Powerstroke (Duratorq) 5 Cylinder Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

First off, Big Thanks to everyone on here for their input. I have learnt a lot in just a few short weeks of reading (mostly i've learned i don't know very much!).

I'm trying to make an informed decision about oil for my PX Ford Ranger T6, Mazda also has a badge engineered version called the BT50. Both have a 3.2L Puma P5AT 5 cylinder TDCi diesel engine, and it appears the North American market gets this engine in the Transit delivery van as a "Powerstroke".

The problem is no one version of this motor recommends the same engine oil, by weight or specification.

According to this Motorcraft pdf (last line) Transit 5 cylinders should have 5W-40 CJ4. Can anyone confirm this from the vehicle Service Schedule Guide?

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/oilchart.pdf

Many thanks, Adam.

G'day Adam, I drive a 2014 3.2 Ranger at work, and although I'm on days off and don't have the vehicle in my driveway at the moment to check the book, I am 100% certain they use a 5w30, as per the link. I can't say for sure what other specs they ask for, but the Oz models don't run a DPF, so that makes life easier. I can update this post in a couple of days once I have the ute back...

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp

Thanks, yeah i have my Ranger book which is 5W-30 Ford 913-C or........but i was looking to see if a diesel specific oil (Delo/Rimula) might be a better alternative.

My Cat, EGR and PCV have all stopped working the way Ford intended, very mysterious...wink wink, which opens things up a bit for me.

Cheers, Adam

Last edited:
Mysterious indeed! I'm sure you'll get that attended to ASAP
smile.gif
I see why you'd want to use Rimula or similar, but "my" Ranger, which is less than 2 years old and has already done 130,000km at the hands of several drivers, has spent its life on "Fleet Managers Special" (cheapest oil available) at 15,000km intervals, and it runs better than new.

Per the US Transit Owners Manual - which I believe any one can get to at: Ford Owner

Motor oil: Motorcraft SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil XO-5W40-5QSD WSS-M2C171-E

It would be CJ4/ACEA E9 if your emissions were functioning but now I'd suggest something like Shell Rimula R6M 10W40 which is I believe available in NZ. It is on the Shell Australasia list. If you want something synthetic and expensive.
You are currently at about Euro 3 or US 1998 emission levels and therefore can use virtually any diesel specific oil that meets ACEA E3 or E4, or API CH4.

Charlie

Wow, 200 units in one fleet, that's a massive sample. Any problems rearing their ugly head?

OK, so:

FORD AU/NZ wants;

"Only SAE 5W-30 oil which meets or exceeds Ford specification WSS M2C913 C, and minimum of ACEA A3/B3 or C3. Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30 meets these specifications." this is on a 15,000km OCI, drops to 7500km for Severe Service.

MAZDA AU/NZ wants;

"ACEA A5/B5 (preferred) A3/B3 SAE 5W-30 5W-40 10W-40 (Ford Spec WSS-M2C913-C)" for a 10,000km OCI

FORD North America wants;

"SAE 5W-40 CJ4"

Given that i have no egr, no Cat Converter, ambient temp never lower than zero degrees celcius and never higher than fourty degrees celcius and a good friend who is now a Shell agent whom i would like to support i have narrowed my choices down.

1. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, ~11 NZD per litre
http://www.cnergyasiapac.com/assets/Uplo...A3-B4-en-TDS.pd

2. Rimula (Rotella?) R6 MS 10W-40, ~13 NZD per litre
http://www.smithandallan.com/documents/Rimula_R6_MS_10W-40_(E7_LDF-3)__(en-GB)_TDS.pdf

So A3/B4 5W-40 vs E4/E7 10W-40 for a 12mth /max 15,000 OCI

Any thoughts, which offers the best engine protection? My worst regular commute is only 5km to my transport connection which is terrible for any engine.

Cheers, Adam.

http://www.powerstrokehub.com/3.2-power-stroke.html

here is the spec of your engine !
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...oli#Post4045357

as you can see this is an sn/cj-4 OIL. so you wont get any issue with this oil ,and it is whatechemacallit freidnly (egr, diesel particulate etc etc etc .very important . i always try to get an oil that do both sn and cj-4 .if an oil got those two you are covered

dont run bio diesel. or full one tank of bio diesel only once a month . try to find the 2 % bio diesel . ( as far as i know only PA and canada does it this way ! 2 % biodiesel is recommended. exit 104 i95 in virgina sell 5% biodiesel less bad then the 20% in other place but stil harmfull .if you are stuck with 20% biodiesel in your area .change oil more often

oh new zealand?sorry i dont know what oil they got there! but try to find an oil that is similar in spec to a mobil delvac le5w-30

Fully Synthetic Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30 is a fully synthetic, heavy-duty diesel engine oil that combines advanced engine protection for modern low emissions vehicles with enhanced fuel economy potential1 and other sustainability-related benefits such as engine durability, emissions system protection and extended drain capability.

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance and is well suited for an extensive array of diesel-powered commercial vehicles for both on- and off-highway use in industries such as transportation, mining, construction and agriculture. Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 meets or exceeds an extremely broad range of industry and manufacturer specifications from around the world.

Features and Benefits

High output, low emissions engines significantly increase demands on engine lubricants. Tighter engine design reduces oil consumption, resulting in less fresh oil makeup to replenish depleted additives. Thermal stresses on the lubricant are increased with the use of inter-coolers and turbochargers. Higher fuel injection and cylinder pressures and retarded timing improve burn efficiency, but also increase engine temperatures, volatility, and soot loading of the oil. The advanced technology in Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 delivers exceptional performance in these severe conditions while protecting emissions systems.

Features

Advantages and Potential Benefits

Advanced Wear Protection Engine Durability
Enhanced Fuel Economy Potential1 Reduced Fuel Consumption
Extended Drain Interval Capability Fewer Oil Changes and Less Oil Disposal
Emissions System Protection Emissions System Durability and Performance
Excellent Low Temperature Performance Easier Starting in Cold Weather

1 Relative to conventional 15W-40 engine oil - Actual fuel economy improvement is dependent on vehicle/equipment type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current fluid viscosity.

Applications2
•Heavy Duty Diesel Engines including Euro V/VI and US EPA 2007/2010 Modern Low Emissions Vehicles, Utilizing Technologies such as Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), Continuously Regenerating Traps (CRT), Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
•Heavy Duty Diesel Engines using low sulfur diesel fuels and many biodiesel fuel formulations
•Naturally Aspirated and Turbo-Charged Diesel Powered Equipment
•On-Highway Short-Haul and Long-Haul Trucks and Buses
•Off-Highway Mining, Construction and Agricultural Equipment

2 Please refer to the owners handbook for OEM application requirements and oil drain intervals for your vehicle or equipment

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:

5W-30

ACEA E9 X
ACEA E7 X
ACEA E6 X
API CJ-4 X
API CI-4 PLUS X
API CI-4 X
API SN X
JASO DH-2 X
Caterpillar ECF-3 X
Cummins CES 20081 X
DAF Extended Drain X
Ford WSS-M2C171-E X

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:

5W-30

MB-Approval 235.28 X
MB-Approval 228.51 X
MB-Approval 228.31 X
MAN M 3677 X
MAN M 3477 X
MAN M 3271-1 X
Volvo VDS-4 X
Volvo VDS-3 X
Voith Retarder Oil Class B X
Deutz DQC IV-10 LA X
Detroit Fluids Specification 93K218 X
Mack EO-O Premium Plus X
MTU Oil Category 3.1 X
Renault Truck RLD-3 X
Renault Truck RLD-2 X
Scania Low Ash X

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:

5W-30

Renault Truck RGD X
Renault Truck RXD X

Typical Properties

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30

SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 69
cSt @ 100ºC 11.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 168
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 10
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -51
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 234
Density @ 15ºC, kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.855
( just in case you cant view it ! never mind mobil! the main take away here is sn,cj-4, acea e9

if the oil you look at has all that you should be way higher then what ford ask

Last edited:
I find it less than amusing when 'world car platforms' sharing identical engines, oil specs and mostly comparable gas/diesel offer more frequent OCI remcommendations in countries where they think they can gouge . ( the example of 10000km oci VS 15000 maximum Australia vs NZ is one... i have another where a Renault engined Nissan is 5000km OCI in AUS where i think it is 12000MILES in England. You can't tell me all of Australia is regarded as severe service????? Car companies knowlingly exploiting differing markets.

Man, what I'd do to be able to get a 5 cyl diesel Ranger in the US! Sometimes I really hate this country for its EPA/CAFE [censored] keeping us from the cool vehicles!

I'm not familiar with the two oils you're considering, but my 2 pennies would be to go with the 10W-40 vs 5W-40. The likelihood is that the heavier grade oil would contain less viscosity index improvers and therefore be less prone to shearing, which is an important characteristic for oil in your warm climate with a diesel engine.

BTW, your prices look like the ridiculous Canuck retail prices for oil.....
smile.gif
What are your sales taxes in NZ?

Originally Posted By: vitez
I'm not familiar with the two oils you're considering, but my 2 pennies would be to go with the 10W-40 vs 5W-40. The likelihood is that the heavier grade oil would contain less viscosity index improvers and therefore be less prone to shearing, which is an important characteristic for oil in your warm climate with a diesel engine.

BTW, your prices look like the ridiculous Canuck retail prices for oil.....
smile.gif
What are your sales taxes in NZ?

We have a 15% Goods And Service Tax (GST).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back