The homogenization of cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Jeez Merk you sure do have a thing for big boats of cars dont you?
smile.gif

They're all the same wheezy old Cadillac!

Edit: meant to say POS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yep, those bumper jacks sure were dangerous, you use to read about people getting killed all the time when they crawled under the car and the jack kicked out and crushed them.

Plenty of fools today still crawl under jacked up cars, without jackstands or anything other than the jack.

More dangerous on the bumper jacks was the kickback when lowering the car; if you weren't ready for it you could lose some teeth.

Today's jacks are much safer to use, and that is paid for by crawling on the ground to position them; bumper jacks were a stand up operation.

Most people just make a phone call nowadays, I'm thinking.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
smile.gif

Not a single one of those is a Cadillac.
06.gif
First one is a Ford Granada, the next two are Lincoln Continentals, next is a Ford LTD, and finally another Lincoln Continental. No Cadillacs.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
smile.gif

Not a single one of those is a Cadillac.
06.gif
First one is a Ford Granada, the next two are Lincoln Continentals, next is a Ford LTD, and finally another Lincoln Continental. No Cadillacs.
spankme2.gif

Sorry, they all look like the same slow boat to me. I thought it was the new cars that looked "exactly alike!"

My dad told me that when I was a toddler(Circa 1960) I'd stand in my seat at a local roadside restaurant and call out the make of every car that drove past.
Forty years later my son was equally car crazy- but could only reliably ID four cars: BMWs, Corvettes, Jeeps, and Mustangs.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
My dad told me that when I was a toddler(Circa 1960) I'd stand in my seat at a local roadside restaurant and call out the make of every car that drove past.
Forty years later my son was equally car crazy- but could only reliably ID four cars: BMWs, Corvettes, Jeeps, and Mustangs.

This is where it's sometimes hard to draw the right conclusion. Is it because cars all look the same or just the ability of a particular person isn't that good? I can still pick out over 90% of the cars on the road and I don't even read car magazines like I used to.

I remember riding with my dad in the early 1060's, he would often comment on the model year, make and model of many of the late 50's / early 60's cars we see. Can't do that today.

My wife's late model 4 door sedan is extremely hard to tell apart from a whole host of other makes.

I'll take the reliability and longevity of today's auto's (along with their more complex and difficult to trouble shoot electronics) over those cars from long ago any day of the week.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I remember riding with my dad in the early 1060's, he would often comment on the model year, make and model of many of the late 50's / early 60's cars we see. Can't do that today. . . .

When I rode with my dad in the 1060s, we didn't see many cars. Just lots of horses and carts.
grin.gif

I know what you mean; I used to do the same thing as a kid. We'd go down to Jackson Square (now a touristy area), and I could call out the make of all the cars parked in front of the square. Now, since so many cars look like eggs or peanuts, it's tougher.

Linda mistook a gray Nissan Altima for my car the other day, despite the fact that the colors weren't even close. And last month, a campus visitor was having a problem with her car alarm beeping. I didn't know anybody was in the car, so I asked around to see if it belonged to anyone in my building, saying, "It's a Nissan or Infiniti." Turned out it was a Honda Accord.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I remember riding with my dad in the early 1060's, he would often comment on the model year, make and model of many of the late 50's / early 60's cars we see. Can't do that today. . . .

When I rode with my dad in the 1060s, we didn't see many cars. Just lots of horses and carts.
grin.gif

Dangit, ya beat me to it! Loved the modern leaf springs when they came out LOL

Sorry, they all look like the same slow boat to me. I thought it was the new cars that looked "exactly alike!"

Agreed. When one states that all new cars look alike, grabbing 1970s vintage Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles is not going to be a great counterpoint. The same will go for Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, and Chevy.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Wert thou also required upon pain of death to prostrate thyself and avert thy eyes when the Duke's carriage passeth by? Marry, 'twer a vicious time!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Cars nowadays just look cheap and disposable. Cheap junky plastic everywhere and they all look the same.

And yet they're priced as much as a house (that's an exaggeration, I know, but you get the jest)...

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Not to mention the endless amount of cheap plastic EVERYWHERE on cars today and clearly in places it should NOT be, like the intake manifold, and water pump impellers, the list goes on and on....

Yes! Plastic is so overused in today's vehicles...alloys should be used in place of many of today's plastic parts...

Some of you seriously have rose colored glasses

Automotive homogenization is far from a new thing. Different makes and models now have just as much variance as they did in the 60s+ you old men are just either too blind or too riddled with nostalgia to see it.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Some of you seriously have rose colored glasses

Automotive homogenization is far from a new thing. Different makes and models now have just as much variance as they did in the 60s+ you old men are just either too blind or too riddled with nostalgia to see it.

I agree with this. Most people remember fondly the days they grew up in.
There is a reason why most mainstream or mass produced cars look the way they do and that's because they are made to look pleasing for the majority of the buyers and be in line with whatever the latest trends are.
We have plenty of unique looking vehicles like Nissan Juke, Hyundai Veloster, BMW's EV, etc. but they are considered "ugly" by most. Remember Pontiac Aztec?

Last edited:
Thanks for the many replies.
Some of you get it and some of you really don't.
What we've gained in todays cars is far better passive safety than was once typical.
Between one of our old '86 Civic Wagons and our '12 Accord, I know which car I'd rather be driving were I to get into a collision.
OTOH, we've lost the light weight that brought really sharp handling and good fuel economy along with decent acceleration with small understessed engines.
We've accepted great complexity at the cost of easy and inexpensive long term repair and ownership.
WRT styling or design, there has been a significant reversion to a mean.
The days of a Ford looking quite distinct from a Chevy which was in turn nothing like a Dodge are long gone.
A Mercedes or BMW once looked unique and drove and endured in such a way that the high price seemed fair for what you got.
That hasn't been the case in years, as both marques trade upon their badges while neglecting the things that made them unique.
OTOH, it may be that they haven't much choice but to put their badges on glorified FWD econoboxes as well as use cheap supplier parts, since they must maintain and grow volume in an increasingly tough global market. Academics have noted for years that the production capacity available in the global industry greatly exceeds global sales. This is probably not as true as it was back in the eighties, with growing demand today coupled with shrinking capacity among the old established players, but the new players keep adding capacity, so there is probably still a glut of it.
Anyway, a fun thread.

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man.

These two cars looks as similar to each other as today's car are similar to each other.

84ChryslerFifthAvenue.jpg

198_-Oldsmobile-Delta-88-Royale.jpg

No, like, opinion involved, man.
Are you seriously trying to tell us that you can't spot the differences between an Olds based on the excellent GM downsized B-body platform and a "Chrysler" built on the POS Volare platform?
If you really can't, then drive one of each and report back.
I did back in the day and the GM car is superior in every way.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No, like, opinion involved, man.
Are you seriously trying to tell us that you can't spot the differences between an Olds based on the excellent GM downsized B-body platform and a "Chrysler" built on the POS Volare platform?
If you really can't, then drive one of each and report back.
I did back in the day and the GM car is superior in every way.

Of course it's just opinions regarding appearances and preferences. I can also spot the differences between today's cars. Today's cars are just as diverse as cars where in the 80s. 80s cars were boxy. Today's cars are jelly beans. Maybe jelly beans look more homogeneous to you than boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back