Toro OHV considered flat tappet type...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I a little confused on this. I've seen a lot of talk about how these small engines need the extra additives that SN oils don't have but haven't seen where they come right out and say what style engine they are.

I don't mean for this to be a battle of what to use, I've already decided to try Kohler 10w30 and picked up a bottle at TSC the other day. That being said I tried finding out who makes the oil for Kohler but couldn't find anything, couple posts here but no answer. Does any one know, just curious.

There are some MSDS on the net when Home Depot use to sale it, but those are like six or seven years old, and they said Warren in Dunn, NC. I just bought a bottle of it from my local hardware that is a dealer for various mowers and stuff like that. I asked the parts counter guy who made it, and he said Warren in Dunn, NC. My local Tractor Supply wants $6.xx for a quart. I can get it from the hardware for $3.99 a quart. The other hardware dealer that I bought my Echo from wanted $4.35 a quart.

That's what I'm planning on running. As well as finding an alternative to the 10 dollar kohler oil filter.

Maybe is I refined the question it may help.

Are the cams in these small engines designed similar to the flat tappet style cam? From some exploded views I have seen I would say yes but can't really find any specific images.

Yes they are flat tappet, Dont be so concerned about the zinc requirement due to the valve spring rate is so low on these small engines.

Correct. These are not drag cars. The valve spring pressure is very low. You dont need a lot pf pressure at a constant 3000 rpm. Many engines are now coming with plastic camshaft, so obviously the manufacturers don't think you need any special oil. Just SJ or better. No need to seek out a special oil. Wal-Mart has several that will be just fine (ANY 30 or 40 weight on the shelf).

Based on your climate, I'd just run the cheapest synthetic 5W30 or synthetic 10W30 on the shelf, to include store brand oil.

If you want heavy duty oil, Shell Rotella 10W30 or Delo 10W30 are usually pretty available.

Thanks guys. I was just curious about the cam. A few months ago I didn't know much about engines other than taking care of them let alone what a flat tappet cam was.

I did find this pdf on Warrnen, it lists some of the places they supply oil to and Kohler is on the list. Makes sense since TSC uses them for their house brand. Looks like its four years old though.

Warren is a big company and makes a quality product.

I think thier most famous or infamous is the supertech at Walmart. Though in some areas another company makes it.

Look on the bottom of the oil bottle. If it says "WPP" on it, it was made by Warren Performance Packaging. They are a major player in store brand oil.

The valve spring pressures are so low on that engine, the cam lobes and tappets will be the last thing to wear regardless of what type of oil you use.

But, just to keep things simple and happy - any NAPA Auto 10W-30 or 15W-40 works just great. And if it has a filter, NAPA will have a GOLD filter that will fit. That is not gold color, but their better WIX made filters are called NAPA Gold.

I've got 30 year old Kohlers and Briggs that run real well and they have had a steady diet of Delo400 15W-40 and fresh filter once a year. No cam wear issues at all.

Now some of the hot street Chevies, whole nuther can of worms...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back