What is happening to HM oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when the high mileage oils first came out, one of the touted benefits was the additional/higher levels of anti-wear additives compared to standard automotive oils. Now, Valvoline Maxlife, Quaker State Defy, and Castrol have reduced the levels.

Mobil 1 HM and Pennzoil HM have not cut back, yet.

So, what is going on? Is it because when the oils were first introduced, the older cars over 75,000 were from the 1990's and the cats on them could handle the higher zinc? Now, being 2016, cars with 75,000 are newer cars with sensitive cats?

I like the higher anti-wear levels, so, it's a little disappointing to see the oil companies cutting them back.

Last edited:
Most modern engines do not need high levels of ZDP. And modern AW additives are as good or better than using just high levels of ZDP.

the main advantages of a HM oil are: 1. thicker cuts of base oils for reduced volatility. 2. Added detergents. 3. Seal conditioners to help improve seals to reduce leaks/prevent.

Mobil, Pennzoil and Quaker State do not tout any more cleaning/additives from their HM oils above their regular oil. Valvoline does with MaxLife but no more than cleaning then their syn oils only white bottle Valvoline. Quaker State Defy says additional Zinc?

Originally Posted By: buster
Most modern engines do not need high levels of ZDP. And modern AW additives are as good or better than using just high levels of ZDP.

the main advantages of a HM oil are: 1. thicker cuts of base oils for reduced volatility. 2. Added detergents. 3. Seal conditioners to help improve seals to reduce leaks/prevent.

Thanks for the reply, buster. I just like the high zinc, mainly for the peace of mind, I guess. We have older cars in our family, our dad's 2006 Tundra is the newest vehicle.
The rest are a 1997 Civic, a 1994 Honda Passport, a 2001 Isuzu Trooper.
At this point, I'm not concerned about trying to get the newest and latest oil, especially since it seems the focus is reducing additives for the emission equipment. I'm just trying to make sure whatever oil I use has good anti-wear properties and keeps the engines clean.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Mobil, Pennzoil and Quaker State do not tout any more cleaning/additives from their HM oils above their regular oil. Valvoline does with MaxLife but no more than cleaning then their syn oils only white bottle Valvoline. Quaker State Defy says additional Zinc?

The Defy description says "boosted" zinc additives. Wouldn't this mean it has more? I know from browsing the UOA section, the older Defy versions had more zinc levels, while the latest version is less than it used to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back