Gumout GDI intake valve cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried the CRC stuff. Didn't really notice anything. Tonight I picked up the gumout version. Gonna give it a try. One thing i noticed that was different with the gumout product it says to spray into the intake and when your done just idle for a few minutes. But the CRC stuff said to let it sit for an hour. Then take it out for a drive. Idk I guess it can't hurt.

I have seen nothing short of dental tools and walnut blasting remove GDI carbon buildup.

There is no magic elixir you can put in your fuel tank or induction system to remove it. Once it is baked on, it will remain until it is manually removed.

Last edited:
Any liquid introduced into a dry manifold will have uneven distribution at best.

And I agree that if you have serious buildup no spray can is likely to help much...

There is a comment on the CRC video covering the use of their version of this product that claims a performance shop has seen turbo turbine damage and cylinder wall scoring from the hard carbon particles that the treatment dislodges. CRC's only reply was that the shop should contact them.
FWIW...I am surprised that CRC did not answer this more forcefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRwcnj8-OE

When I worked @ VW, we had the BG rep come in with a fogging machine designed to soften and clean baked on deposits with a direct "fog" application of BG 44K (an OUTSTANDING cleaner). After a presentation, they performed the practical demonstration and it did...

Nothing. The customer car we used for the demonstration had 85k worth of buildup and active cold start misfire codes.

After the the demonstration, we performed a courtesy walnut blast and declined BJ's newest machine.

I need to dig through my old files from VW to see if I can find the extreme examples I've seen.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
There is a comment on the CRC video covering the use of their version of this product that claims a performance shop has seen turbo turbine damage and cylinder wall scoring from the hard carbon particles that the treatment dislodges. CRC's only reply was that the shop should contact them.

It's the appropriate response. Why accept or deny anything without gathering more info?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

It's the appropriate response. Why accept or deny anything without gathering more info?

I agree. CRC is VERY reputable company, I'm sure if data becomes available that would recommend against use in turbo DI engines they will put a warning on the label against that application.

That comment and response is 3 months old and CRC has not even posted anything to the effect of "the shop never contacted us" to provide some closure.
There is even a more recent comment string in which a Mazdaspeed6 driver says they are worried about the turbo damage mentioned in the comments, and CRC denies that there is even a post saying that turbo damage was observed! It's right there for everybody to see. But, CRC does claim at that point that the product dissolves and does not dislodge large pieces of carbon.

Right now, that damaging comment from RX Performance Products is the first comment a user sees on this video and there is no answer/rebuttal/explanation for CRC concerning it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Well I will sandblast if I have too

I would avoid actual "sandblasting." you'll nuke your engine as soon as you turn it over.

I've used CRC IVD cleaner in a gdi hyundai with great success. You rev, you spray,you let it sit for an hour, you drive like a felon on the run. It works and I put 199000 miles on a gdi in 28 months. I like this product very much.

I'm calling bull****. How do you know it works? Have you seen the valves before and after, or does it "work" because it makes you feel better?

That comment and response is 3 months old and CRC has not even posted anything to the effect of "the shop never contacted us" to provide some closure.
There is even a more recent comment string in which a Mazdaspeed6 driver says they are worried about the turbo damage mentioned in the comments, and CRC denies that there is even a post saying that turbo damage was observed! It's right there for everybody to see. But, CRC does claim at that point that the product dissolves and does not dislodge large pieces of carbon.

Right now, that damaging comment from RX Performance Products is the first comment a user sees on this video and there is no answer/rebuttal/explanation for CRC concerning it.

Well, the comment alleging turbo and cylinder wall damage has been removed. CRC seems to be saying the carbon will be removed as a solution and there will be no damage from particles.

???????

Any GDI turbo people here tried it yet?

I picked up a 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 a few weeks ago with 52,000 miles on it. Finally got around to tinkering on it some of the stuff I had planned. Did an Amsoil engine oil flush, cleaned the MAF and Throttle body, did the CRC Intake Valve Cleaner thing, did the PCV valve mod that some have done, changed the air filter, thru in some Amsoil P.I. fuel system and injector cleaner and filled up, and did an oil change and put in the same Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 I have been using in other GM stuff for a while. I cannot attest to which of the things I did made the most difference, but it is like driving a different car. Runs like a scalded ape now. Will get around to the other stuff I have planned as I can make time.

Well, I tried the CRC GDI intake valve cleaner, and they are not kidding about keeping that stuff off your MAF sensor.

I decided to squirt it in the intake past the MAF because I felt the straw was giving me enough clearance, but there is a right angle bend just past the sensor that the straw had to feed through. Everything was fine during the application and the brief revving then idling afterwards...after letting it sit for an hour, I got some big clouds of white smoke not long after starting it, but the car also hesitated severely twice and I got nasty "ball bearings tossed in a coffee can" sounds when that happened. Things seemed fine at first after that, but then I noticed that the car would briefly hesitate and then surge whenever I asked for significant power during my spirited cleanout drive. I even had a few triple hesitations (rrrVRRROOMMrrrVRROOMMrrrVRROOMM) over the next day and started to really freak out.

I suspected a dirty MAF after some thinking and the symptoms I was having matched what I found for that issue online. I was already planning to change the oil after the intake treatment, so I decided to apply the CRC MAF cleaner I had picked up at the same time as the valve cleaner while I had the hood up. The MAF sensor in my Forester is way on the left side of the engine compartment and I had to find a short screwdriver to fit in the tiny space, then I hosed the sensor down good with the spray. Gave it some time to dry (didn't take long) and cleverly dropped the screwdriver when I was just about done tightening the second screw on the sensor...I was able to track it down after cursing my own clumsiness and got it out after popping one of the mudguard attachments off.

Good news is the car feels great now with no hint of hesitation. I can't say the intake cleaner made the car feel any different to me (as long as it wasn't on the MAF ;^) ), but the white smoke suggests to me that it cleaned some stuff out. Didn't get the white smoke during the application, only after the 1 hour wait. Did not like that ball bearing sound, I'll be happy if I never hear that again. Guess my car is not configured well for the "easy" application of this cleaner, I'm wondering if taking the MAF sensor out and spraying through the opening for it might work??

I've read about the walnut blasting but don't recall if it can be done without tear down or do you blast with valves close then blow out with compressed air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back