Bought Timken Bearing, got a Naichi part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had to do the rear wheel bearings on my 1998 Toyota 4Runner and bought a Timken part from Rockauto because it's a reputable source. Opened the box and noticed the two retainers and the bearing is branded Naichi. It doesn't seem like maybe it was a returned part because both boxes were like that and the chances of a return swap would be low considering it was on both.

Naichi is a pretty reputable brand and I was tight on time, so I've installed the parts already. But I'm wondering if it's typical for aftermarket parts makers to simple repackage parts from another manufacturer? I've also noticed this on some Moog and Raybestos ball joints, of which were actually Sankei 555.

I bought Timken because of the brand, but only to find that I got something else. I'm not dissapointed that I got a Naichi, but it brings about the question...can you even really trust aftermarket parts anymore? It seems if I am choosing a part and decide based on the manufacturer's reputation, it's somewhat meaningless.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
What was the country of origin on that Naichi bearing out of curiosity?

Oops typo, should be Nachi not Naichi. Country of origin is Japan.

This is quite common. One company can't make it all, so they rebox to fill the line. For example, Victor Reinz gaskets for Japanese cars are usually reboxed OE parts made in Japan by the Japanese supplier. Japanese automakers, other than Toyota, tend to use smaller suppliers for their parts. Nissan has been shifting away from this under Ghosn.

Nachi is most likely the OE supplier for that bearing.

Don't trust RA for cataloging/shipping anything right.Yet they run those ads on TV slamming parts stores not being able to trust them to "look up the right part" (I think we can order a set from the warehouse)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back