What happened to this kind of oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I'm hearing of it, but it does say say 5 years from 2015. I would imagine manufactures would not want this, as they would lose maintenance revenue.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
90 second oil change.

I'm kind of surprised a german manufacturer didn't try it out.
wink.gif

Separate drain plugs, oil filters, and fill caps aren't very complicated and could be "improved" afterall...

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
First I'm hearing of it, but it does say say 5 years from 2015. I would imagine manufactures would not want this, as they would lose maintenance revenue.

I'm sure most manufacturers would charge the same labor rate even though it takes 90 seconds to do. They could have even less training for the lube jockies.

You guys would have liked a Texaco LOF service back in 1970. We even oiled the door hinges. You got real service. Sure couldn't pull off a real job in 90 seconds.

Modern cars get no credit for the amazing increase in reliability over the last 40+ years. The man who changes your oil may be more important than you think...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You guys would have liked a Texaco LOF service back in 1970. We even oiled the door hinges. You got real service. Sure couldn't pull off a real job in 90 seconds.

Modern cars get no credit for the amazing increase in reliability over the last 40+ years. The man who changes your oil may be more important than you think...

My dad gets good service from a Valvoline LOF shop near his house. He has been using $20 coupons for years. They even offer top offs on all fluids in between service for free.

Me, I'm a nut about torque spec and using proper oil so I do it myself, but I kind of enjoy getting out in the garage and away from the IT Office.

There will be massive resistance; to the point that it won't take place unless mandated.

Here's why: My son is going to graduate college soon and start work Boeing Aircraft..I can assure you he knows nothing about oil. One of the jobs he held while in high school was a "porter" at a new car dealership. Before anyone comes up with preconceived notions of his duties, he did not empty garbage cans and clean toilets.
There were two employees on site at 6 am; the service manager and my son. The service manager would read the customer complaints for vehicles dropped off after hours for service. Realize that even at a major metropolitan new car dealership; some mechanics are really good at electrical work, while another may be good with automatic transmissions, etc. The manager would give my son the keys and tell him to go out on the parking lot and find the blue Impala and pull it up for "Larry." It would go like this until all the cars are positioned for service, when the $35 hour Union Mechanics start work at 8 am, the cars are waiting for them.
There was only one mechanic who got two service bays all by himself. This guy did nothing but oil changes...He had two lifts. He could look at a car and tell you the size socket needed for oil change. My son would pull in a car for him, he would run it up on the lift and take one of his sockets off his belt clip, chuck it into his air ratchet and btwwwwwf! off the drain pan bolt, letting the socket and oil fall into his positioned drain pan. Then he would undo and throw away the oil filter. While this car is draining, he'd pull a second car into the other lift and start over. While the SECOND car is draining, he would go back to the first car, replace the drain plug, install a new filter, let the car down off the lift and fill with bulk oil; then go to the second car and repeat while my son would pull out the first car and bring another one in.
Back and forth like this, the "oil change monkey" could crank out 8 oil changes an hour, all day long, EVERY DAY and eat a sandwich, drink a soda, etc. Oil changes are the NUMBER ONE reason owners visit the stealership service department. Dealers aren't going to let this go without lobbying their legislatures.

In the interest of saving the environment and being green, this will kick the oil changing business to the curb within twenty years. The government will make whatever deals necessary.

Even an F1 team couldn't do a 90 second oil change.

When this becomes a reality does jiffy lube create an express lane called lightning lube? Lol

If i dont lube the door hinges ,the customers get annoyed .Still use shackle fluid on the springs and rubbers underneath the car !

What would places like Midas do without the 86-point inspection to find money-making opportunities like the full brake job that seems to always be recommended?

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
What would places like Midas do without the 86-point inspection to find money-making opportunities like the full brake job that seems to always be recommended?

Who says that wouldn't happen?

There is already one production car with this system built into it. It's not a car you are likely to ever see, but nonetheless it is out in the wild now.

Here is a BP promo video for the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWlPyM1gzQ4

These oil cells strike me as printer cartridges for engines. If these things catch on, there's plenty of money to be made for the dealer, auto maker and lubrication vendor by having an engine rely on expensive proprietary parts for routine maintenance.

Last edited:
I wanna see someone do a c&p on that! lol

Looks sketchy - and a nice way to make an oil change cost $3-400 probably.

What about the oil in the sump?

That cell probably only holds a gallon at most.

Oh well, most engines with a half-assed oil change would last just long enough to make it out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor

Yep. That has happened here too. Midas full brake job. Precision Tune didn't cought though. 3 shops and all are close now.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
I wanna see someone do a c&p on that! lol

Looks sketchy - and a nice way to make an oil change cost $3-400 probably.

What about the oil in the sump?

That cell probably only holds a gallon at most.

Oh well, most engines with a half-assed oil change would last just long enough to make it out of warranty.

The engine would have to be redesigned without an oil pan.

It can be deployed as a wet- or dry- sump version. You put the car in "service mode" and it pumps the oil to the cell, which is then removed and replaced.

This concept has been posted here several times before.
It's a silly idea that would accomplish nothing more than greatly increasing the volume of waste to be disposed of in the course of an oil change.
It would be cheaper to merely dispose of these units than it would be to ship them anywhere for recycling.
Oil changes are so fast and easy using a drain plug and filter that this concept has little to offer, especially for those with access to a lift, that magical device that makes so many service tasks so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back