Best Oil For A 22hp Kawasaki??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Cub Cadet RZT mower with a 22hp Kawasaki engine. The following engine oils are recommended. API Service Classification : SF, SG, SH, or SJ. Now my question is what would be the best type of oil to use if I was planning on using SAE30?

My smaller Kawasaki engine uses 10w30 and my manual says the same as yours. It is a 6 hp engine and I have to say the highest quality engine that I have owned on any equipment. I would recommend any name brand synthetic 10w30 changed once a year. I have used Amsoil 10w30 in mine since new and it works great. I am not sure who makes plain SAE30 anymore, but have used Pennzoil in the past with good results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mike5150
..what would be the best type of oil to use if I was planning on using SAE30?

IMO, it wouldn't be a SAE30 for this application, it would be a 5w40 or 15w40 HDEO for a hardworking RZT in Virginia summer heat. I realize Kawi specs 10w30. Pretty much all engine manufacturers do to somewhat cover all bases. You'd be hard pressed to find a commercial outfit running SAE30 or 10w30. Also, keep a close eye on those Hydro-gear RZT transaxles. Any sign of milkyness in the oil reservoirs, change out that oil ASAP. I've heard several reports of water/condensation build-up.

Joel

Last edited:
I have this engine in a JD tractor. Here in Florida I found that the oil pressure is quite low when the engine is very hot after a mow.

I use Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It contains plenty of ZDDP for the flat tappets and has high TBN to combat acids. In other words, it's the perfect oil for hard working small engines.

Also, it's low temperature performance is phenomenal.

Thanks to everyone who replied with answers. I think I'll pick up what you suggested Cujet since you have the exact same engine and deal with the Florida heat.

For the record, my 23 HP Kawasaki engine manual on our commercial Exmark Z turn "favors" the use of 30 wt. and says 10W30 "can" be used, but watch for oil consumption.

Exmark states that Kawasaki prefers 30 wt. while the Kohler Command (?) prefers 10W30 for its valves. This generalization is the consensus at Lawnsite.com too. But, people use many grades there with success and I think the 5W40 is probably good also. The new Rotella is a quite thick 10w30.

So, yes, 30 wt. is still recommended now-a-days and Rotella is available at a lot of places.

My 12.5hp Kawasaki says Class SD, SE, SE/CC, SF
Winter: SAE5w-20
Summer SAE30

its new to me and I'm still trying to decide what oil to run...
Probably rotella 30 or 5w-40

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
My smaller Kawasaki engine uses 10w30 and my manual says the same as yours. It is a 6 hp engine and I have to say the highest quality engine that I have owned on any equipment. I would recommend any name brand synthetic 10w30 changed once a year. I have used Amsoil 10w30 in mine since new and it works great. I am not sure who makes plain SAE30 anymore, but have used Pennzoil in the past with good results.

I run 15w40 in my FX481V. Hasn't blown up yet.... They actually recommend thicker grades now. I have noticed my smaller FJ180v Kawasaki takes a while to get warmed up, and really doesn't run hot in the winter cause I get white milky condensation on the oil fill cap. I can barely get the big mower on the trailer without the valve cover being hot enough to burn my hand. I'm still on the fence on what to use in the FJ180v since I've used amsoil ASE for 1300hrs and it still burns a minimal amount. Taking the valve cover off, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a brand new engine. Doesn't even have that golden tint to it that some engines get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I run 15w40 in my FX481V. Hasn't blown up yet.... They actually recommend thicker grades now. I have noticed my smaller FJ180v Kawasaki takes a while to get warmed up, and really doesn't run hot in the winter cause I get white milky condensation on the oil fill cap. I can barely get the big mower on the trailer without the valve cover being hot enough to burn my hand. I'm still on the fence on what to use in the FJ180v since I've used amsoil ASE for 1300hrs and it still burns a minimal amount. Taking the valve cover off, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a brand new engine. Doesn't even have that golden tint to it that some engines get.

I would agree with you. Since, now Kawasaki has recommendations up to 20w50, we now know there is nothing wrong with running 15w40. And it would be safe to say that you could do the same in any small gas engine. I have said the same thing when Briggs and Stratton came out and said that 5w30 synthetic can be used at all temperature.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I would agree with you. Since, now Kawasaki has recommendations up to 20w50, we now know there is nothing wrong with running 15w40. And it would be safe to say that you could do the same in any small gas engine. I have said the same thing when Briggs and Stratton came out and said that 5w30 synthetic can be used at all temperature.

I've always wondered why they use the same oils in small engines as they do cars when a small engine can have oil temps up to 280 and that be considered normal, whereas a cars oil sump doesn't get much hotter than the coolant temp when is usually 180-190, so 205 might be the hottest for the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back