Google and Project Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone signed for to obtain cell service from Google's Project Fi. You need a newer model Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 phone.

It looks to allow voice calls to seamlessly move from a WIFI to multiple cell carriers. And multiple devices can share a number.

I signed up, but am not sure it will buy me anything with the poor cell service where I live.

I work with two people that have it and a Motorola Nexus 6. They love it and it's cheap.

If you use your cell in your house and you normally have poor cell signal in your house, those problems go away with WiFi calling.

I've been wanting to try it, just been putting it off. I'll get much more serious if it ever opens up to other phones, namely iPhones. I like my Nexus and my wife likes her iPhone.

Do you have sprint or tmobile service? then you will be fine.

Tmobile is esp. expanding their low frequency band coverage which while not the fastest signal gives good building penetration.

My friend tried it in his Nexus for awhile and ended up going back to his regular carrier. We are in a rural area and it just did not work for him. He has not given up on it though and is holding out hope it will get better. Its probably locale specific. If there is some way you can trial it?

I have tried it for about 3 weeks. The actual cell reception is no better or worse. Basically I get almost no cell service where I live.

However since this can use Wifi for voice and text it has proved a positive experience for me.

My largest issue before was texting family and I would need to send a text and leave my phone by the window for 5 minutes and if the planets were aligned properly, the text finally went.

With Project Wi, the text goes immediately.

And no voice. (Unless you count Vonage extensions).

At this point I have wife and daughters on Consumer Cellular and I am on Project Wi. So the total monthly cost is higher, but I like technology so I will probably keep it.

At some point maybe I will get better cell service and then it will be even more useful.

Thanks for the feedback

I'm gearing up to try it for a month. Downloaded the VZW Messenger so that I can get my main number's texts, I'll forward my VZW number to my GV number.

Looking forward to it. Hopefully the service is suitable in my area and I'll certainly consider it when my VZW contract is up in May 2017, even if my wife can't get on it with her iPhone.

I've had it for 5-6 months. The service is not as good as Verizon in my area. You'll get a few bad sounding/dropped calls and slow internet at times. It's not too bad however. Price is good if you typically don't use a lot of data. Service should only improve as everyone moves to VoLTE and VoWiFi.

My gal just ordered the Nexus 5X through Fi for a very healthy discount. Since we use T-Mobile currently the new dual sim card (Sprint/T-Mobile) should work just fine. Won't be here till next week....I'm letting her be the guinea pig on this one.

Her S4 Galaxy has gotten a bit wonky as of late so this seemed like a great time to upgrade the phone at a reasonable price. She ordered the 32GB one.

She got her Nexus 5X and has had several days to play with it. In short, I believe I'll get one also through Project Fi.

Porting the phone number took less than 24 hours. The pure android operating system is a delight to use, the phone is quick to respond, and the camera is absolutely superior. Looks like a winner overall.

I ordered mine through Project Fi after playing with her phone for a while. It really seems to be an excellent product and Fi is working perfectly so far. Yes I paid for the phone upfront but it was $50 off the normal price. My bill, for the same service I have now will drop by $10 a month.

Not trying to hog someone else's thread but others just might be interested.....or not.

I've had it for a month now, paid for the phone upfront.

Got my first discount for data not used as well. Overall I am happy and the phone is worlds better than my Droid was.

Service is no better nor worse, data might be actually faster.

I'll add to this that the speaker on the Nexus 5X is really not very good. The volume to the speaker when at full is dismal. This is a big disappointment. Used speakerphone for a call this evening and it worked but not very well at all. Now I find TONS of complaints about this phone on the very same subject....pity. My Galaxy S4 is heads and shoulders above the 5X in this respect, loud and clear.

To be fair it was only one call so I'll try it again. With previous phones I never had to have the volume all the way up for normal use or speaker. This one does require full volume and I find it a bit lacking in clarity and loudness.

Oddly all previous phones had the speaker on the back and were clear and plenty loud. This one has it right on the front and is a bit lacking. I do like everything else so this is pretty minor to be sure.

the 5x speaker is weak maybe 50% as loud as my lg g3
headphone jack nothing to write home about either

they just cheaped out in that area

cant even hear it over the shower (music)

the lg g3 was plenty loud

htc 10 looking pretty good once the $ drops

Good Headphone amp and dual speaker "boomsound"

This is a bit disconcerting since we just bought the phones. This is from google.

Nexus%20updates_zpsifpuwvh7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back