Utica or SK Torque Wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping for a new torque wrench. I've had cheap beams forever and now want to move up to a clicker. My neighbor has a nice Utica. I have also found some decent SK units.

Any opinions?

I actually just bought a Performax TW from Menard's last week during their 11% rebate. I like it, it's a multifunction 3/8 or 1/2 inch.

Is it cheap, yes. For the weekend warrior it does the job though.

Check Home Depot under the Husky brand. You can still find the USA made torque wrenches. Don't order online. Just go to the store, and look at all that's on the rack. Back a few months ago my local store still had a few left.

CDI is Snap-On's industrial brand that's very affordable. I've had my CDI 1/4" & 3/8" for about 6 years with no problems after everyday use.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
CDI is Snap-On's industrial brand that's very affordable. I've had my CDI 1/4" & 3/8" for about 6 years with no problems after everyday use.

I have a CDI 5-75 ft lb 3/8 drive, and I like it a lot. The switch on the head could be a bit better, but over all it works good. Spring loaded to adjust makes it easy to dial it in and out.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Get an electronic adapter. More accurate out of the gate, no recalibrations.

I bought a Rayjay 3/4 in torque adapter going up to about 720 ft lbs. I used it to torque down truck wheels to 475 ft lbs and it seems to agree with the method I presently use - torque multiplier (multiplies 13.8 times actual/ 15 times nominal) + 1/2 in torque wrench set at 35 ft lbs.

Is it true the electronic ones do not drift out of adjustment with use?

For home use the HF's work just fine and for $30 or so you can own 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" wrenches. They click and you should back them off after use.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Forget the clicker type they are a PITA with turning them to zero after every use.
A good split beam clicker wrench is much better tool. Precision Instruments is one of the best.

I came here to post the same thing. I have 3 Precision Instruments split beams and they are by far my favorite torque wrenches. They used to make torque wrenches for SnapOn, not sure if they still do.

Tooltopia.com had the best prices when I bought mine. They are about $120 depending on which model you get. That is a very good deal for a quality USA made torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Trav
Forget the clicker type they are a PITA with turning them to zero after every use.
A good split beam clicker wrench is much better tool. Precision Instruments is one of the best.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDispla...CFQ9Zhgodt5sAcw

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-Split-Beam-Click-Type-C2FR100F/dp/B000YOX568

Too bad they don't offer a 1/4" drive with lower range of like 3.5-35 in-lb

For 1/4" drive something like this is nice, the memory needle is helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CO...EJ4917ZJ9JREM9X

Originally Posted By: totegoat
For home use the HF's work just fine and for $30 or so you can own 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" wrenches. They click and you should back them off after use.

For what kind of home use? Don't get me wrong - I own all three HFT clicker torque wrenches. They're OK for torquing oil pans and wheels (I already have a feel for the torque, and consistency is most important). But would you use a Harbor Freight torque wrench on cylinder head bolts? I probably wouldn't.

Thanks for the tips. I ordered a 3/8" Precision Instruments for $111.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Thanks for the tips. I ordered a 3/8" Precision Instruments for $111.

Excellent choice!

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Get an electronic adapter. More accurate out of the gate, no recalibrations.

I bought a Rayjay 3/4 in torque adapter going up to about 720 ft lbs. I used it to torque down truck wheels to 475 ft lbs and it seems to agree with the method I presently use - torque multiplier (multiplies 13.8 times actual/ 15 times nominal) + 1/2 in torque wrench set at 35 ft lbs.

Is it true the electronic ones do not drift out of adjustment with use?

Not true. I calibrate torque wrenches for living. The electronic ones drift out just as much. The electronic ones are capable of losing their calibration entirely!!

For the money, it's hard to beat the Craftsman clicker type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back