QSUD in Ecotec: 2 qts. consumed in 3K !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll admit I haven't been checking the oil on the Regal with the 2.4L Ecotec as often as I should. The Buick has 65K miles, 3K miles/4 months on the current fill of 5W-30 QSUD dexos. For the first two years of my ownership, it's gotten AC Delco dexos oil from the dealer every 6 months/4500 miles, and the oil level never budged during an OCI. When my 4 "free" OCs were used up, I thought I'd try QSUD.

My last oil level check, I think, was in early March (mea culpa). I drew out the dipstick this morning, and it was bone dry. It took 2 qts. of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 dexos to bring the level up to where it should be. I don't see any oil on the ground, and the engine compartment looks dry as well -- there are no obvious leaks on the block or on the components below.

True, coincidence is not causation . . . but it sure looks that way. Have any of you had a sudden change in oil consumption with QSUD, esp. on an Ecotec engine? This could be the old worry about synthetic cleaning stuff out inside my engine so that leaks occur. But how could that much crud have accumulated with my short OCIs?

Or is it simply that this engine does not "like" QSUD?

Sometimes, it will take an OCI or two for things to stabilize. Of course, your engine may not "like" this particular oil, but it hasn't been really given much of a chance yet.

Give it some time. They tend to use oil when brands are changed, until things settle down.

This is why it is a good idea to find an oil, and then stay with it. I use the same oil in everything that I drive. No unexpected consumption issues.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Give it some time. They tend to use oil when brands are changed, until things settle down.

This is why it is a good idea to find an oil, and then stay with it. I use the same oil in everything that I drive. No unexpected consumption issues.

+1

I had an Ecotec back 2005-2010 that absolutely guzzled Mobil 1. As it got older it started using all oil but not ever at the rate that it drank Mobil 1. It did better on Napa Synthetic which was cheaper anyway (when on sale).

Some engines just like to consume different oil formulations...try something else and see if things continue (indicating a possible problem) or things settle down.

Sorry to hear about the oil burning problem youre having. This is a known problem with that engine and there are TSB's about the issue. There are a few threads on this site regarding the issue as well, mainly in the Equinox. If youre under warranty i would go to your dealer with your concern. When my ecotec was new i used QSUD or actually "Q Horsepower" exclusively for the first couple of years. This is not a QSUD problem.

It's hard to get an accurate oil level reading on this engine. The cartridge filter will slowly drain back into the sump causing the level to rise over night [no anti drain back valve]. This is a false high reading. According to the manual, you are supposed to check the oil within a few minutes of shut down.
My ecotec uses more synthetic oil than conventional.

Not to hi-jack this thread but it is relevant. Would someone explain to me the mechanism by which more oil would be used when switching brands. Hard to believe it is true.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
It's hard to get an accurate oil level reading on this engine. The cartridge filter will slowly drain back into the sump causing the level to rise over night [no anti drain back valve]. This is a false high reading. According to the manual, you are supposed to check the oil within a few minutes of shut down.
My ecotec uses more synthetic oil than conventional.

Not to hi-jack this thread but it is relevant. Would someone explain to me the mechanism by which more oil would be used when switching brands. Hard to believe it is true.

What? If your oil level is going up after the engine has been shut off for awhile then you might not have the oil filter cap torqued down tight enough. The o-ring on the oil filter nipple is what keeps the oil in the filter housing and if its not torqued enough it will drain down to the oil pan. Ive been around these engines for over a decade now and have made all these mistakes when first getting accustomed to them.

The shoulders of the oil filter cap should be making contact with the engine block. If its not then its not torqued enough and oil will drain back.

Sorry this is off the OP topic but just had to clarify. Many people dont torque down the cap tight enough.

Would someone explain to me the mechanism by which more oil would be used when switching brands. Hard to believe it is true.

It's been observed often enough, but I've never seen a valid mechanism presented.
wink.gif

Thanks, everybody,

I did check the oil within a few minutes of shutting down, as I always do -- and as I did in January and February, when I didn't notice any movement of the oil on the stick. It does seem odd that the engine would suddenly start burning oil just at the 62K mark, after I changed to QSUD.

That TSB: Is that something that a dealer will do out of warranty? My extended warranty just ended about 3-4K ago.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

+1

+2 Castrol Magnetic should be a good oil for that.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Does Buick have the 5yr/100k mile powertrain like the Chevys did?

I hope so; I'll check my paperwork. However, the car first went into service in late 2010, I think, so the 5 years may be up.

Have you changed the air filter? A dirty air filter causes an increase in vacuum between the throttle body and the filter. The crankcase ventilation hose from the valve cover is vented to this area of the intake system. An increase in vacuum will draw air/oil out of the crankcase. If this is a problem with your engine you will see oil on the throttle body plate.

Have you changed the air filter? A dirty air filter causes an increase in vacuum between the throttle body and the filter. The crankcase ventilation hose from the valve cover is vented to this area of the intake system. An increase in vacuum will draw air/oil out of the crankcase. If this is a problem with your engine you will see oil on the throttle body plate.

Changed it when I bought the car in early 2014. The dealer had already done the replacement. The filter I removed was clean and new, so I saved it. Should I swap it out again?

My first thought was about the PCV system -- but this car doesn't have a PCV valve that I can change, as far as I know.

I think the mechanism by which different oil are consumed at different rates must relate mostly to the additive package. That's why it takes a while to settle down with the new oil... The ad-pak has to react over time to heat cycles and it takes some time ...

Syn's are a different animal (real synthetics). They have lower inherent surface tension, so they can sneak past all sorts of things in minute amounts, including piston rings and valve seals. That's not bad, it means better top end lubrication (top ring area), but it does lead to consumption.

Older Euro motors like Volvo's consumed 1 qt per 1,000~1,500 miles from the get go. They lasted to over 250,000 miles easily if maintained at least minimally well. Oil consumption is not a real issue unless it's messing with other systems like ashing up the CAT or something...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Syn's are a different animal (real synthetics). They have lower inherent surface tension, so they can sneak past all sorts of things in minute amounts, including piston rings and valve seals. That's not bad, it means better top end lubrication (top ring area), but it does lead to consumption.

That's been my experience with synthetics every time I've tried them, both in older cars and newer. Looks like I'd do better to stick with a synblend.

This afternoon, if it hasn't rained, I'll inspect the ground under the car and see if I can worm under for a peek at the drain plug. Just to eliminate the logical possibility of leaks from that area.

Is the throttle valve covered in oil? If so, the engine is ingesting oil from the PCV system and the rings may be allowing too much blow-by.

If the air filter has been changed in the last couple of years and looks clean, I doubt it is causing problems.

I do understand that some oils are more easily consumed than others. Some people say that when switching oils, often there is increased consumption until the engine "settles into this oil" and then consumption returns to normal. I find this hard to believe but I'm willing to learn how this could happen.

The cartridge style oil filter is contained in a cavity cast into the block in a relatively high position and there is no anti-drain back valve. I find the filter cavity drains over time and the oil level in the sump rises considerably if left overnight. My guess is the oil leaves the oil filter housing two ways. Some drains back through the oil pump and some flows to the sump through the lower main bearings. However this occurs, I find the oil level varies greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back