Looking for a HM additive (1/2 qt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
any recommendations? Gumout has one but I think it has swellers. I'd like to find one that just cleans and conditions but does not swell and preferably working off of esters.

I will be adding it to 5W30 havoline.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Why are you so worried about Swellers? One dose of them isn't going to hurt much.

Don't need them.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Nice clean fresh engine oil should do the job.

Not considering it. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Why are you so worried about Swellers? One dose of them isn't going to hurt much.

Don't need them.

how do you know?

Just thought I would add to the discussion the specific product you are looking for won't exist exactly because in this industry the term high mileage is associated with seal conditioning usually and you don't want seal conditioners.

Just so you know all properly formulated motor oil contains seal conditioners and high mileage oils just contain a larger dose, I've heard it's roughly double dose for high mileage oils verses their conventional counterparts.

If you want a different additive like a performance additive they exist, but liqui moly motor oil saver is probably the closest thing to what you asked it's a high viscosity product with seal conditioners.

If you want a low viscosity product with seal conditioners try the ATP 205, it's very thin like a mineral spirit from what I recall, the ATP 205 helped my high mileage Nissan greatly with leaking seals in a very short time.

Lubegard's Biotech Engine Protectant might be worth taking a look at. Not specifically a high mileage additive but it has esters, moly, etc. and might just fit the bill.

A 1/2 quart of 5W30 Redline may work for you. Although a leaking valve seal isn't your problem yet Redline cleared up an occasional blue puff of smoke first start of the day for me, similar level of Boron as the Havoline plus some Moly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just thought I would add to the discussion the specific product you are looking for won't exist exactly because in this industry the term high mileage is associated with seal conditioning usually and you don't want seal conditioners.

No. Seal conditioners are not the same as swellers.

Just to clarify if anyone wants/need full details. I have some free trop artic oil I'm using up but I only have 4 quarts and I need 4.5 quarts for the next oil change. I want to top off with something that would clean and help the turn that basic trop artic into more of a high mileage brew.

I think Rislone Engine concentrate might be worth a shot since it is $4 and easily found at my local walmart.

I really like the reviews of liqui moly, too.

Rislone Engine Treatment, is supposed to have 11% esters per Mola's analysis iirc...there is a thread on it around here, if i find i will link it in here.

Last edited:
This is for the Rislone Engine Treatment in a Quart Bottle:
Quote from thread below:

It turns out to be about a 10W20:

Rislone Engine Treatment from quart bottle (32 oz.) version.

Physical Tests:
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 43.0
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.0

Additives (ppm):
Magnesium (Mg) 3
Calcium (Ca) 1935
Phosphorus (P) 422
Zinc (Zn) 503
Boron (B) 8

TMP Ester 11% by weight.

The amount of ZDDP is at a level to supplant the MO's ZDDP when this stuff is added.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3478417/1

Thanks. I think I'll give that a go and see how things do. I just don't want the RMS leak coming back.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
any recommendations? Gumout has one but I think it has swellers. I'd like to find one that just cleans and conditions but does not swell and preferably working off of esters.

I will be adding it to 5W30 havoline.

What is it exactly that you envision being conditioned by the oil? You seem to mention seals, how are seals conditioned?

The reason I ask is because when seals get old and hard that is generally due to cross-linking of the polymers, and really there is nothing that can be done to reverse that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back