08 Duramax LMM - 9,886 miles - Delo 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
9,886 miles on sample. 89,214 on truck. Oil and full flow filter changed. Amsoil bypass is also installed on truck, but bypass filter wasn't changed.

Main reason I changed oil was because I needed to install a fumoto.

Sample_zpsdqp4vsx2.jpg

The boron is a combination additive. It's both a detergent and an anti wear additive. It makes up for the lack of calcium, also a detergent.

GM likes to use a high level to bronze in their cam bearings and such so it is quite common to see higher copper levels in GM engines. As long as the other bearing metals are low, there really is not much to be concerned with. Amazing how fast the TBN is depleting in that time frame. My Detroit 60, the TBN only drops to 7-7.5 in 20,000 miles. I used Delo 400 early on my Series 60 and got a viscosity drop over the oil change interval that caused me to switch to another brand oil that doesn't show that problem.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
GM likes to use a high level to bronze in their cam bearings and such so it is quite common to see higher copper levels in GM engines.
The copper would still be leaching after 90K? One would think it would taper after a number of miles, but I am assuming it has been these levels or higher on every UOA?

I'd call them up and fix the information. Make sure you tell them it's Delo 400LE otherwise they flag the additives, they did the same thing to me. I'm starting to think Delo isn't very good for long runs. It only has a Tbn of 8 to begin with.

I just checked the PDS for the following 15W-40's available to me at a local distributor:

Delo 400 LE has a TBN of 9.6.
Chevron Ursa Super Plus-- 8.1
Rotella T-- 10.1.
Delvac 1300 Super-- 8.8.
Pinnacle Oil Fleetpro Ultra--10 (no decimals given)

Maybe you were thinking of Ursa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back