Do you buy coffee at SBux or the gas station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all obviously free to spend our money as we wish, but I haven't quite figured out the reasoning for buying plain black brewed coffee at some place like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

To put this into context, I usually brew my own at home using a very cheap and simple drip brewer. I'll either buy ground coffee (8 O Clock, Seattle's Best, etc.) or get whole bean and grind my own. A $7 bag (12-14 oz) of ground coffee will last me a few weeks on average.

I kept hearing how Dunkin' Donuts supposedly sells the best tasting coffee, so I went to one, paid ~$2.99 for a large black coffee and tried it out. Aside from being a bit more bitter (maybe a lack of regular cleaning of the machine?) it tasted identical to a cup I could brew at home. No complaints, but hard to describe the experience as life changing. On a similar note, I've tried out coffees at other places like McDonalds, 7/11, QT and the experience is usually the same. Assuming they brew at the correct ratio, the only difference I can usually tell is whether there is a bitterness that can be attributed to machine age or cleaning.

I'm guessing most buy it for convenience, but I'm curious if anyone actually prefers to buy pre-brewed over making their own?

This discussion obviously excludes specialty drinks like frappucinos and others that require more than just coffee grounds and water.

I go to a little coffee shop every morning. I spend $1.50 for a cup +50 cent tip and sip my coffee while reading my kindle. One of life's little pleasures
1_KINDLE_CAMERA_1451900017000.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I'm guessing most buy it for convenience, but I'm curious if anyone actually prefers to buy pre-brewed over making their own?

Good question. I'd have to say, I do prefer a good cup of coffee. I also kinda sorta care to keep my money, so the two are at odds. So far, the only coffee that I would say I really "like" buying is Starbucks; I do enjoy a good dark roast--not French roast, but dark roast. Starbucks is on the verge of being too dark, but is otherwise the only coffee I look forward to buying.

Otherwise, it's about convenience. Call me a bad person but I like 3-4 cups a day. If I'm on the road traveling, I will brew a cup or two to bring with me, but at some point I will run out. That means I have to buy some. Usually gas station coffee is ok, although I've had that stuff twist and turn my gut--home brewed coffee I can use a minimum of sugar to control the acid, but anything I buy away from home has to get 1-2 teaspoons of sugar, "just in case".

We bought a Keureg for my mother in law. She doesn't do coffee, so it really was a present for ourselves, for when we visit.
wink.gif
Not the cheapest way to make coffee, but a decent compromise between cost and effort.

Depends...

Unlike Silk, I am not home most days of the month...so making it myself isn't always an option.

For those days when I am on the road, I buy at Sbux, Caribou, or Dunkin, whatever happens to be in the airport. I've got the app for all 3 on my phone so that I don't need cash and I don't have to deal with change, all while collecting the rewards points and free coffees that come with the membership.

Now, in Highlands Ranch, there is a little coffee shop called "Enchanted Grounds" that makes a nice cup and I stop by there often when I am in Colorado.

Finally, when I lived in Stowe, VT, the best cup of coffee was at the gas station. The local Mobil station was called "Maplefields", one of several Maplefields in Vermont all owned by a fellow named Skip Vallee who coincidentally was a college classmate, and "Mapes" happened to have fresh-brewed Green Mountain coffee in several varieties.

For $1.15, their 16oz cup was fresh and flavorful. They even had a rewards card that made every 10th cup free.

I would take the kids to school, and stop by for gas and coffee, or at least coffee, every morning that I was in town...happy to support Skip and happy to enjoy a very good coffee at a very nice price...

Last edited:
yeah i dont get it, i grew up with the rise of starbucks and it takes 1 minute max to setup the drip machine and Sxxx Shower and Shave and coffee is ready.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
yeah i dont get it, i grew up with the rise of starbucks and it takes 1 minute max to setup the drip machine and Sxxx Shower and Shave and coffee is ready.

That drip machine is so inconvenient to travel with, however, and nearly every airport has a Starbucks now...

If I'm travelling I take a bottle of water...and I'm less likely to need to dispose of what I've just drunk as quickly as I have to do with coffee.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

No way. I can make a better espresso at home, and for a lot less. But if I'm out and about or traveling and want some caffeine, I will buy some latte from Sbucks or similar. I try to avoid gas station coffee.

I home brew 80% of the time. However, most places such as UDF and the local gas stations will sell you coffee at a reduced rate if not free if you bring your own mug. Generally, it doesn't make a difference if the mug you bring is 1 or 100 oz, the price is the same. So note to self; Always have a clean mug sitting in your vehicle and you will save hundreds per year if you buy your coffee. Also the coffee is way better than those hipster places. I never eat fast food, but McDonald's has really good coffee as well. UDF has an extra caffeine brew called, Jacked. It is the pot with the yellow rim. If I drink that before an anaerobic workout, I feel like Superman. Though Turkey Hill is one of those places that the coffee is free if you bring your own container, so sometimes less caffeine wins.

I use to get coffee at at Caribou until they went out of business. I kinda quit drinking coffee and haven't had any in a while. Really don't miss it either.

Used to be a fan of McDonald's coffee on the road, as it was hot and strong...then came the 15 year olds, and a white coffee ended up being tepid, and far too milky.

Don't like milk based coffee (unless it's got the grounds boiled in milk with some cinnamon sticks, and then only twice a decade.

When this lot are in town, or I know of them around, I'll happily pay the $4.50.

They get what a "long black with a dash of cold milk" means.

http://tantricturtle.wix.com/shop

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Folders instant coffee for me.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
*Folgers?

Maybe there is no difference when it comes to taste.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back