Watkins Glen Opening Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the Jeep out again as usual. And ended up with a picture that says "hey dummy, add some more negative camber up front!"

p2117375708-6.jpg

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Not much body roll atleast! How are the brakes on that beast?

Not much body roll, but the picture and the scuffing on the outer tread blocks makes it clear that I could use a little more negative camber up front. Easy enough.

Brakes. Uh, well... It's got more power than it used to, thanks to some recent tinkering. And they weren't exactly pacing us slowly. I made it most of the way through lap 2 before I had to start going easy on the brakes to keep them from fading away to nothing. And as they heat soaked when we slowed down at the end, I boiled the fluid a little too, as the pedal went to [censored].

It's definitely going to be time to put some bigger brakes under there at some point, as I can't go much more aggressive on the pads and still expect them to work on a cold day on the street.

The picture does look like it's in the boot, but I'm not really sure where the photographers were standing.

As far as tinkering, the motor has heads, cam, intake, headers, tune and a few other minor tweaks. Suspension is springs, shocks and some minor geometry changes. And then wheels and tires are 255/60R17 Eagle F1 Asymmetric 4x4s on 17x8s. Wheels are +10 offset with 3/4" spacers (stock offset is +13).

Is that still live axle front end ?

very cool.

I want a Cherokee SRT after one "pulled out in front of me" the other day, and then took off like a scalded cat.

Yep, it's a live axle up front.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Very Cool! My local track says; No helmet? No driving.

Being that opening weekend isn't a full track day and they keep you behind a pace car, they don't require helmets or anything. And they'll let you run basically anything you drove there.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Can you adjust camber with a solid axle? I didn't think you could, easily atleast, or on purpose.

On the front, it's easy enough. Camber is adjusted with offset ball joints to tilt the knuckle. On the rear, there's no adjustment other than bending the tubes, and that's not exactly a solution, as it mis-aligns the axle shaft splines in the diff.

I guess bad things happen to the U-joint if you try to get too much camber? Or do unlocking hubs save them.
I've got an old 300 kingquad with rear swing axle suspension with U-joints and you can feel them vary the speed of the tires when you get some angle on them with a big load.
Maybe the lesson is don't run 5 deg and you'll be fine!
grin.gif

I've got CV shafts in the front axle, so no vibration issues from adding camber. They see far more angle when turning anyway. The hubs don't unlock on this thing though, so any vibration would be pretty obvious, as the front drive bits are still spinning in 2wd, just with no power applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back