What is this Sidewall Symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Nankang AS-1 195/55/15. The Circle with the Arrow? Dont rag, these are for a 4th car that will be driven around town only. [img:center][/img]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Possible a directional tire symbol, i'd ask CapriRacer to be sure.

That's what I was thinking. Therefore they should be on the passenger side of the vehicle

That's too small to be a directional symbol. You've gotta get the tech's attention.

It looks like some sort of hippy dippy recycling symbol. The arrow is trying to be man-shaped, IMO.

What kind of tire is that?

Edit:

Doesn't appear to be the rotation marking:

http://www.nankang-tyre.com/home.php?fn=eur/wiki&no=4

4_wiki_img_2(1).jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Possible a directional tire symbol, i'd ask CapriRacer to be sure.

That's what I was thinking. Therefore they should be on the passenger side of the vehicle

No here is my dilemma, I specified symmetrical tires so I could rotate them between sides. The tires were purchased on-line from Discounttiredirect.com Here is the discription from the website: Features & Benefits
Advanced asymmetrical tread design combines performance, touring and traction benefits.

Now here is the same tire on sears.com website:Features
Advanced directional asymmetrical tread design combines performance, touring and traction benefits.

I phoned before delivery and Discount assured me that returning the tires would not be a problem if they show up with a directional arrow.
When the Tires arrived I phone Discount back to tell them that they may be directional and Discount was not very friendly and held their ground telling me the tires were not directional.

I have sent emails to Nanking corporate and Tireco the distributor asking what that symbol is. http://www.nankangusa.com/tires/performance/nankang-1

I have yet to receive a response....

I am not happy with Discounttiredirect.com.. plus there is no email on their website to dispute. Phone calls are rubbish....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
That's too small to be a directional symbol. You've gotta get the tech's attention.

It looks like some sort of hippy dippy recycling symbol. The arrow is trying to be man-shaped, IMO.

I think you are right. Still cant figure out why people in the business could not figure this out.
Thanks for the Help!! You guys are clever..

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I wonder if it is the outside marking...
No, Outside and Inside are clearly marked.

Going with the recycle theory for now...

Don't know what it means but those tires are asymmetrical, so as long as the outside/insides are mounted correctly, you can rotate them to either side. I feel like the arrow is just showing the best direction those tires would rotate in(since the blocks do seem to be pointing one way), but you could run them on either side.

I had Hankooks a while back which had those weird "S" type tread patterns, the lines would face different directions on each side of the car, but it drove perfectly fine.

Last edited:
You've answered your own inquiry:

"Now here is the same tire on sears.com website:Features
Advanced directional asymmetrical tread design combines performance, touring and traction benefits."

I have Goodyear Assurance Tripletreads, and they have DIRECTIONAL arrows and notations on the sidewalls. Of course, my arrows are shaped different than yours, they are different tire brands.

I can post pics if you like, but, as stated, they are different brands of tires. Other than all the "standard" nomenclature which MUST be on a sidewall, I know of no "standard" way of noting "directional" tread.

And I disagree with the above post.^^^^ Based upon; if you follow the link and read it, the symbol is accompanied by R, D, T, Q, or an M 30001.

YOUR symbol is missing the numbers. Why would this happen per government requirements?

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
You've answered your own inquiry:

"Now here is the same tire on sears.com website:Features
Advanced directional asymmetrical tread design combines performance, touring and traction benefits."

I have Goodyear Assurance Tripletreads, and they have DIRECTIONAL arrows and notations on the sidewalls. Of course, my arrows are shaped different than yours, they are different tire brands.

I can post pics if you like, but, as stated, they are different brands of tires. Other than all the "standard" nomenclature which MUST be on a sidewall, I know of no "standard" way of noting "directional" tread.

And I disagree with the above post.^^^^ Based upon; if you follow the link and read it, the symbol is accompanied by R, D, T, Q, or an M 30001.

YOUR symbol is missing the numbers. Why would this happen per government requirements?

R41084 is marked on the tires next to the symbol. That is CLEARLY the Chinese registration number affiliated with that Chinese symbol/tire brand. That is not a directional tire symbol. The 30001 number is just a generic number, one obviously not affiliated with that brand of tires. Your entire post is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back