Want to use Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a problem going with it. The new formulation is a really thin 40 weight if I remember correctly.

It may be overkill. It may not be the ideal viscosity, since your engine will be calling for an ILSAC 10w-30 or 5w-30. However, if you've been using GC 0w-30 for years, M1 0w-40 is, from a viscosity standpoint, a very similar product. I wouldn't bother mixing. If it were me, and I were considering M1 5w-30 EP and M1 0w-40, I'd simply choose one and one alone. Heck, either are overkill.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I wouldn't run an oil that heavy straight.
I'd cut it 50/50 with a 0W-20 to give you a heavier higher VI 0W-30 than Mobil's own 0W-30.
My choice in a 0W-20 would be the Mobil made Toyota brand 0W-20 although you could also use M1 AFE 0W-20.

Hey Cool Cat are there oils you are prepared to run straight without the mix and match to brew that ?

Why not say just run 0w-30 without the mix and match bit just leave it out ????

Last edited:
I run this oil in all my vehicles that call for 5W30 and it seems to work great.

You might not want to go too long on the first change if you switch from a conventional oil to this. I have put this in some sludged up engines and it really helps clean them out. A couple didn't go 500 miles before I changed the oil again. If the engine was cared for, you might go 3000 miles on the first change.

I also buy mine at Wal-Mart as this is by far the cheapest price on a European spec synthetic around.

Just get the correct weight oil to begin with. If your walmart store doesn't carry 5w-30 or whatever you want buy it on walmarts website and have it shipped to the store for free.

Thanks to everyone....Went with 6 qts of M1 0w40 yesterday and truck runs fine and I want to thank everyone for easing my mind...6 qts oil for $31.98 and a M1 filter on sale from AutoZone gets me an OC for under 40 bucks...I'm liking that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back