Chevron Lubricants Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
To our friends at BITOG,

Thank you for your interest in Chevron Lubricants. We’re always looking to make better connections with our fans and open up the lines of communication. So thank you for welcoming us to this forum.

Our high-quality products are engineered for the real world. Everything from your everyday commuter cars to your diesel workhorses, from your high-performance imports to your weekend off-roaders are all priorities for the teams behind Chevron Lubricants. We’re dedicated to developing the next level in lubricant engineering.

Our premium lubricant Havoline® features our Deposit Shield® technology, designed to help protect engine performance and the investment you made in your vehicle. Our latest offering, Havoline ProDS, is a fully synthetic motor oil with unbeatable wear protection.

Our heavy-duty brand of lubricants, Delo®, is designed for both on- and off-road applications, ranging from truck and bus transportation to construction, mining, agriculture, and power generation. Across industries, Delo’s premium lubricants deliver world-class protection, performance and maximum operational reliability in a wide range of operating conditions.

Our fuel additive product, Techron®, will help protect your new investment or restore your used car as close as possible to its original performance. Techron products keep your engine running clean and can even prevent faulty fuel gauge readings. And now, the same Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner, is available in a new 32-ounce, multi-serve, value package. Keep it in the garage and use it in all of your gasoline powered transportation vehicles and engines, e.g. passenger cars, classic cars, trucks, RVs, motor cycles, ATVs, boats, personal water craft, and lawn mowers, to keep your engines running clean and in tip-top performance.

We want to give you, the BITOG community, the opportunity to ask questions about our premium products and innovative technologies. In advance of our official launch, this thread will be open for questions. Please post any questions you have until Sunday April 24, 2016. We will send these questions back to our full team of scientists, engineers and brand representatives to provide answers to as many questions as we can. We will post the answers a few weeks later.

We are excited for this opportunity and have only a few requests:

1. Please utilize this thread ONLY for submitting questions. Members of the team have noted that there have been questions posed in various threads, but please repost the question in this thread to help us make sure we address everything.
2. Please understand that we will not be able to answer all of your questions.
3. Please understand our comments will only be about our own products. We cannot comment on competitor products.

Thank you for your enthusiasm for our products. Speak to you soon.

-The Chevron Lubricants Team

What would the HTHS be on Delo 400 LE 15W40 and Delo 400 XLE 10W30 be?

Does Delo ELC (Red) contain any 2-EHA?

Questions regarding your Delo 15W30 Severe Duty product:

1) What are the NOACK and HTHS for this product?

2) As a replacement for Delo 10W30, can it be run at the same intervals? (In
a highway driven application)

3) At what winter temperatures would you recommend Delo 10W30 over
Delo 15W30 Severe Duty?

Thank you for the opportunity to ask direct questions!

Both Chevron Supreme and Havoline are available where I shop. I am attracted to the Chevron for the higher moly, the lower NOACK volatility and lower sulfur as compared to the Havoline as shown in PQIA test results. Will Chevron Supreme continue to have these advantages?

Thank you for taking our questions! Any plans on releasing ACEA-compliant 5w30 or 0w30? Something that meets current ACEA A5/B5 or A3/B4 standards would be great
smile.gif

And to elaborate on the previous question, will there be a "euro" formula meeting various Euro mfg specs, similar to m1 0w40 or castrol 0w40, and where can it be purchased in the US?

Regarding my earlier antifreeze question,

Does Havoline Universal (Yellow) contain any 2EHA? Or any of the chevron antifreezes contain 2EHA?

Are Havoline and Chevron passenger car motor oil the same oil just in different bottles/jugs?

I noticed recently that Havoline passenger car motor oil has less calcium now, and the starting TBN has gone down about a point. The Havoline also has small dose of magnesium too. I gathered this information from PQIA, and the actual Havoline product data sheets.

1. Why is there less calcium now in the latest Havoline?

2. Also, since the starting TBN is lower now, is the latest Havoline more likely to have a lower TBN say at 4,500 miles than the older blend that had more calcium, and a higher starting TBN at the same 4,500 miles?

Thank you for posting the product data sheets, and making them easy to find on your website!

what percentage of your product mix do you think will change from 15W40 to 10W30 in the next 2 years? Will availability of 10W30 products be extended?

Will you be increasing availability of Delo 5W30? What about Delo 0W40 will you have one approved with either CK-4 or FA-4?

What universal oils do you have planned for the new upgrade (ie CK-4/SN or FA-4/GF-6?

Last edited:
With the Dexron VI standard, it has been said that all Dexron VI fluids from every other manufacturer are basically the same. What makes your product stand apart from the others?

I live in Louisiana. Why is it so hard to find Chevron Supreme in retail stores, such as Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.? The only places I can find it is at Chevron gas stations, and the prices are insanely high.

Regarding HDEOs, in a Caltex Document from 1995, titled
"THE EFFECT OF ENGINE DESIGN ON HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL
FORMULATION"

a distinction was drawn between the manufacturing trends of the Japanese, American and European engine makers, and the requirements for lubricants to meet those variances.

Delo CXJ was recommended for Japanese OEM diesels;
Delo SHP for European; and
Delo LSA for US designed engines.

The paper describes power density, piston ring location, sump capacity, crown thickness, and the requirement for more/less dispersents, greater/lower sulfated ash amongst others to deal with the nuances of design.

Has the convergence to modern HDMOs been driven by either
* Convergence in design parameters by the various OEMs; or
* improvements in the lubricant technology such that the apparent shortcomings in the Caltex paper have been reduced to the point that they no longer are of significance ?

Thanks.

What motor oil do you recommend for my 2008 Chevy Corvette Ls3 engine with 28,000 miles on it. I recently installed a ECS supercharger &American Racing Headers. It has 550 Rwhp. Till now I been using the recommended 5-30w full synthetic motor oil. Is there an oil I should be using to better protect my boosted engine. I do not race my car. Thank you.

Delo 5w-30 has a dual rating of CJ-4 and SN. Does Delo 5w-30 have a higher concentration of detergents and dispersants than a SN rated gasoline engine oil? Would you expect a gasoline engine which is operated with Delo 5w-30 CJ-4/SN to be cleaner than an engine operated with a SN rated gasoline only engine oil?

Thank to all those that participated!

Chevron will have the answers back to us as soon as possible.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back