Weed wacker mix yourself or tru fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capacity is 296ml on my string trimmer.. Now either i mix oil with non ethanol gas but i doubt id go through a gallon within 30 days so gas will get old and sit in trimmer. I imagine that the tank will outlast one job ob my 7000 sq foot lot.. Its my first gas powered trimmer and am debating buying trufuel for 10$ for a qt. Just want trimmer to last with little maintenance and hopefully wont cause issues if i leave trufuel in it over 30 days. Not sure how much i will use it. Any advice for a first time owner? Will only be using for my own property so maybe 30 mins once a week or once every 2 weeks.

I have always mixed my own and have never had a problem. I have read and heard that the Trufuel is good stuff though so maybe give a try.

It takes me about 3 -4 months to go through a gallon of gas / 2 stroke mix for my trimmer. No problems with regular gas. And my trimmer is over 6 years old.

If you live near a drag strip or in a big city, you should be able to find unleaded ethanol free race gas. It's not cheap but a gallon of it is still cheaper than TruFuel ounce for ounce.

Mixing your own with E0 in a somewhat sealed can is easily going to be good for a year, or season. The only way I'd use the premix is if I only used a quart a year.

I usually mix up a gallon and it lasts me all summer, and never a problem. E-0 of course. I also fill it up in the fall, ands let it set till spring, and it always starts right up in the spring . Both my trimmer (Echo) and leaf blower. And I have been doing so for the last 15 years. I will NEVER pay tru fuel price!!! I am just to much of a penny pincher (some say cheap) for that.

I can't get gas without ethanol. I have been using trufuel.but the carbs still gum up.if I was using them daily I'd run pump gas.but they sometimes sit months.

Last edited:
I have 2 String trimmers a gas blower and a chainsaw ,I use bulk universal 2 stroke oil I buy from interstate oil jobbers, I don't use Stabil or drain the tanks over the winter ect and I never drain the gas mix over the winter and have 0 problems, Marketing works.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I can't get gas without ethanol. I have been using trufuel.but the carbs still gum up.if I was using them daily I'd run pump gas.but they sometimes sit months.
Probably the gas evaporates.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Capacity is 296ml on my string trimmer.. Now either i mix oil with non ethanol gas but i doubt id go through a gallon within 30 days so gas will get old and sit in trimmer. I imagine that the tank will outlast one job ob my 7000 sq foot lot.. Its my first gas powered trimmer and am debating buying trufuel for 10$ for a qt. Just want trimmer to last with little maintenance and hopefully wont cause issues if i leave trufuel in it over 30 days. Not sure how much i will use it. Any advice for a first time owner? Will only be using for my own property so maybe 30 mins once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Just wondering what brand model trimmer we talking about.

Mix your own gas. Most two stroke oils have stabilizers in with them. I mix up a gallon, sometimes I use it in a month, sometimes it sits there for 6 months. I always mix mine a little rich. I have had the same Craftsman weed eater for 23 years. I run it hard too. When that thing dies, Ill probably bury it. I have blowers, lawn boys and chainsaws. I ve never had a issue with the fuel. I would never buy Trufuel. I am too cheap and too smart. The reason I say too smart is anyone that pays over $40 a gallon for pre mixed gas, they aint real smart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Just wondering what brand model trimmer we talking about.

Its a yardworks model from canadian tire.. I believe mtd makes it.

I can't get e0 premium to last three months in a sealed container. My chainsaw only likes fresh gas or truefuel. The rest of my two stroke stuff doesn't mind the three month old gas.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The reason I say too smart is anyone that pays over $40 a gallon for pre mixed gas, they aint real smart.

I bought a Husquarva 224L for that reason. I don't buy anything that requires mixing gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back