New 2016 428IX convertible- 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked it up yesterday for my wife and on a sticker under the hood it said
0W20. Yet no one at the dealer knew anything about it.. They said at first oil change they will use 5W30. We shall see. By then maybe things will start to change.

Last edited:
Saw it on the shelves at my dealer the other day. Rated for as high protection as their 10w-60,IIRC. I grabbed a paper on it and will see if I can snap a pic for you.

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Picked it up yesterday for my wife and on a sticker under the hood it said
0W20. Yet no one at the dealer knew anything about it.. They said at first oil change they will use 5W30. We shall see. By then maybe things will start to change.

I think that it is aimed to average BMW driver in the US. Most of BMW's in the US are grocery getters. 0W20 will allow better cold performance and less wear in short runs and better MPG.
If you drive like BMW should be driven, stick to BMW LL-01. In Germany that is still go to oil for N20.

Last edited:
Got this at the dealer yesterday...

E883E043-E8A3-49F3-9472-E7CD94E0547D_zpskh2nwybk.jpg

And they're using the very scientific and highly quantifiable "bullets with qualifiers" method to speak of wear protection and temperature stability.
wink.gif
Why do none of the OEM oils have "Excellent" temperature stability?

And why does the LL01 5w30 have such poor wear protection compared to LL01 0w40, when they both meet the same LL01 spec?

Apparently meeting the LL01 spec doesn't mean cr** when it comes to wear performance.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And why does the LL01 5w30 have such poor wear protection compared to LL01 0w40, when they both meet the same LL01 spec?

Apparently meeting the LL01 spec doesn't mean cr** when it comes to wear performance.

Wait, BMW LL-12FE diesel 0W30 had better protection then 5W30 LL-04, although FE has lower HTHS?
I seriously do not get it.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Wait, BMW LL-12FE diesel 0W30 had better protection then 5W30 LL-04, although FE has lower HTHS?

Read the near bottom line "USE"

It's the get out of gaol free card...all of the above is pnly applicable if you use it in this.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Read the near bottom line "USE"

It's the get out of gaol free card...all of the above is pnly applicable if you use it in this.

It does not matter. I think in EU they still go with LL-04 for old, new diesel engines. I think this might be on this side of pond, testing waters.

Thanks for the replies guys and the pic JHZR2 . Yes mine is the 14fe+ spec. The oil cap has nothing on it. It is just a sticker on the inside of the hood that says 0W20.
Dealer knew nothing of it. Said "we use 5W30 or 10W60."
Gotta tell ya, it is one beautiful machine. It's Melbourne Red with an Oyster Interior.
M Sport package makes the car. My first BMW and my wife is beside herself with it.
I hear starting with MY 17 they are reducing the free maintenance provided. No Rotors,pads, or windshield wipers.
Pete

I'm a BMW tech at a dealer..we don't have any 0w20 either..They all get 5w30. Enjoy your new car they are beautiful rides. Amazing performance. One word of advice, especially with the msport package, save for tires..They wear tires quickly..not uncommon to need tires every 15-20k miles or so...sometimes less. Those runflats are not cheap either..$300-400 a piece..anyways enjoy your new ride man.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I'm a BMW tech at a dealer..we don't have any 0w20 either..They all get 5w30. Enjoy your new car they are beautiful rides. Amazing performance. One word of advice, especially with the msport package, save for tires..They wear tires quickly..not uncommon to need tires every 15-20k miles or so...sometimes less. Those runflats are not cheap either..$300-400 a piece..anyways enjoy your new ride man.

Performance tire should not last longer then 20K.
As for price, unless you are buying in stealership, you can find much cheaper then that.

One of the many things I love about my M235i is that it does not come with run-flats.

As for price, unless you are buying in stealership, you can find much cheaper then that.

The Michelin PSS that came on my 2er have over 19k miles on them and I would not be surprised if I get another 7k-10k out of them. As for price, my BMW dealer price-matches Tire Rack- $186/tire front, $203/tire rear.

I agree..but people look at me like I have three heads when they come in for their first oil change at 15k miles and I tell them the steel belts are showing in their tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back