Puradyn MTS-24 Bypass Filter (Donated by Puradyn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought some of you guys would be interested in a video I made of a new Puradyn MTS-24 bypass system that was donated to me by Puradyn. I'm currently using the older TF-24 unit on my 1993 Dodge D250 with a Cummins 6BT and made a YouTube video of the system. Puradyn saw the video and contacted me to see if I would like the newer model? I gladly took them up on the offer and did a video of the new system.

Here's the video of the MTS-24:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgwOipFMF0s

TF-24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXfkkhM7YJg

Here's the most recent oil analysis on the TF-24 unit that is now running on my Cummins. I'll be replacing the TF-24 unit this August with the MTS-24.

Thought I'd update this post. The MTS-24 unit is still waiting to be installed on my sister's Dodge, replacing the TF-24 currently being used at the moment. I had some spare time to detail the MTS-24 unit and make it purdy:) I'm sure it will clean the oil better if it's shiny.:) here's a video I made of the new filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRshdLQJ24w

Very nice. Yes, I'm sure shiny filters clean oil better. BTW, more than one test lab says you can calculate a "wear rate" by taking the Iron ppm DIVIDED BY the mileage on the oil in thousands.

For example, my latest UOA with 7806 on the oil shows 16 ppm Iron...So 16/7.8=2.05 for a wear rate.

Your posting above shows 8 ppm Iron with 8262 on oil; so 8/8.2=0.975. I'm nobody, but I would say this is phenomenal for a wear rate. Your filtration is effective.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Very nice. Yes, I'm sure shiny filters clean oil better. BTW, more than one test lab says you can calculate a "wear rate" by taking the Iron ppm DIVIDED BY the mileage on the oil in thousands.

For example, my latest UOA with 7806 on the oil shows 16 ppm Iron...So 16/7.8=2.05 for a wear rate.

Your posting above shows 8 ppm Iron with 8262 on oil; so 8/8.2=0.975. I'm nobody, but I would say this is phenomenal for a wear rate. Your filtration is effective.

Thanks, I'm very happy with the results so far. From now on I'm just going to do one sample per year. As my latest sample I took last month turned out excellent as well, so I'm confident it's cleaning the oil very well. Here is my latest report:

Nice engine bay....especially for a salter. I suggest you have your hood blanket replaced and the brake cylinder rust treated.

But this could all be for naught if the underbody and frame are rusting and the vehicle will be junked in the near future.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Nice engine bay....especially for a salter. I suggest you have your hood blanket replaced and the brake cylinder rust treated.

But this could all be for naught if the underbody and frame are rusting and the vehicle will be junked in the near future.

Thanks, this truck will be getting a frame off restoration this fall and all maintenance items will be addressed then. At the moment I'm just repairing items that fall off as it drives down the road:) I get to see the truck every three months for maintenance as is my sisters truck and she lives 8 hours drive from me.

Your wear rate is going DOWN...You're getting to a "sweet spot" in the life of the oil and filter. Your latest UOA is phenomenal. Do you have a plan or your own "condemnation limits?" At what point will you change filter elements and how will you know when you are there?

I'm partly asking because I'm also running a Puradyn (PFT-8). I spoke on the phone with Puradyn Technical support (regarding MY filter) and they told me that the filter takes about 12,000 miles to become 100% effective, or nearly clogged if that is how you want to view it. (On an 8 quart sump, which is what the filter is sized for). They also told me that I SHOULD be able to extend this 25%, since my system is 6 quarts, not 8. This is where they recommend filter element changes, but they also recommend UOA to determine element changes. I'm just wondering if you have a plan? Is your filter properly sized for your sump capacity or over sized?

BTW, your setup looks great.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Your wear rate is going DOWN...You're getting to a "sweet spot" in the life of the oil and filter. Your latest UOA is phenomenal. Do you have a plan or your own "condemnation limits?" At what point will you change filter elements and how will you know when you are there?

I'm partly asking because I'm also running a Puradyn (PFT-8). I spoke on the phone with Puradyn Technical support (regarding MY filter) and they told me that the filter takes about 12,000 miles to become 100% effective, or nearly clogged if that is how you want to view it. (On an 8 quart sump, which is what the filter is sized for). They also told me that I SHOULD be able to extend this 25%, since my system is 6 quarts, not 8. This is where they recommend filter element changes, but they also recommend UOA to determine element changes. I'm just wondering if you have a plan? Is your filter properly sized for your sump capacity or over sized?

BTW, your setup looks great.

Thanks, sorry for the late reply on this thread, as I never realized anyone posted since my last post. Yes the system is working great at the moment and have been adding top up oil about 1 quart every 5000 miles. The filter is twice the capacity that I need, so I can probably run it over twice the recommended change intervals. At the moment I'm looking at a filter change every 30,000 miles or until the filter doesn't flow anymore oil through it. I just check from time to time if it's getting hot and that way I know it's still flowing oil. I'm only doing oil analysis once a year now to check on the TBN and metals in the oil. Next month the truck will be coming up for another service and at that point I will finally be able to install my vintage MotorGuard in series before the MTS24. I'm doing this to address what I think will be a problem in the future with the MTS24 and that's a drop in the TBN and a rise in metals. By changing the toilet paper every 5000 miles I'll keep the tbn's up and the metals down as well as extending the MTS24 element change. Only time will tell if I'm right or not, but by adding the MotorGuard I can adjust toilet roll change intervals to suit the lab results. The truck is doing about 10,000 miles a year, so with the MotorGuard added that's 2 toilet paper rolls and 4 quarts of oil a year. I think that should keep the oil very clean.:) The truck sump is 15 quarts and with the MotorGuard and MTS24 the new total is approximately 21 quarts.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
That's one ridiculous bypass filter. Might put a centrifuge to shame.

Think I might know where I'll be going to get a bypass on my trucks.

True, not sure how well it will compare to a centrifuge, but I'll know how well the MTS24 cleans oil after about three years of service. Only time and yearly oil analysis will tell.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back