Favorite BMW LL-01 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Solarent
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

I agree with this. Pass the sequence testing required by the manufacturer. Everything else is just Marketing speak.

I'd also add that the BMW certification process is not easy nor cheap. SO just because an oil has some good physical properties does not mean it will stand up to the required testing.

One thing I have learned about dealing with OEM certifications, they each require some unique and expensive tests - in addition to charging licensing fees and in some cases royalties. This makes it hard to get a single oil that is on the official list of a long group of OEMs. and in some cases the certifications of one OEM make it impossible to meet those of another.

The more complex new engine designs get - the more complex the oils that service them will be. I attended a conference recently where Lubrizol hypothesized that within 20 years engine oil will no longer be an interchangeable part - but specifically engineered to be matched only with the equipment it was designed to work with.

I agree, I was thinking about how many varieties of engine oils that have already expanded in the past 10-15 years. The applieed technology engines are using today, require specific performance, and properties from engine oil. Those specifics would need to address the particular stresses an engine design puts its lubricant through.

Increasing power density for consumer satisfaction, and economy for environmental compliance push things even harder for the engines and their service fluids.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Solarent
I'd also add that the BMW certification process is not easy nor cheap. SO just because an oil has some good physical properties does not mean it will stand up to the required testing.

Or just some chemical constituents that are popularly considered to be superior.

Yes, I just sit back and laugh about some of the "popular" conclusions drawn about formulas from some of our members. If only they knew about how complex these fluids really are. Being an engine oil formulator is truely a thankless profession.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Who gives a [censored] about random data points if the oil can't pass Test developed by those who develop engines ?!? Honestly I get fed up read this [censored] about esters and shear stability. Does it really matter if the oil ends up at 11 or 10 cst. The way you drive it and corresponding fuel dilution has a far greater effect on viscosity

Jeez man settle down; you can keep using whatever oil you like.

IMO, you get what you pay for, more or less, and there is a reason oils like Motul and Redline are so expensive. Esters are superior, but you pay for it. I'm OK with this for a car that only holds 4.2 liters of oil and will get an annual oil change; my X5 that holds 8 liters will not be getting Redline.

As far as certs go, Redline doesn't pursue certifications, so I wouldn't say it doesn't pass.

Carry on. We are all just stating our opinions here.

Purchase justification at its finest. I bet you are an android fanboy too ? Focusing on the specs rather than what it actually does for you as a user ?

Why would you spend $200k to pass the tests for a specification but then not pay $3k to register it correctly with the OEM?? Further still, why make out this is some sort of superior thing

I read comment earlier about OEM approved lists. Sure these may not be important for the public but dealers and workshops are very interested in these and so are BMW. Anything on that list need to be approved. If you had a product that was approved but no longer is capable than the only real way to stay on that list is to reforms late under the same brand name or keep the spec on products with the existing name where the formulation is capable and introduce a new one that ' tales he hit' with the new formulation (aka geographic specific formulation) Ala 'FS' and let the remaining product on name on an old formulation (somewhere else in the world) milk to the existing approval for as long as possible,,,

Last edited:
Jeez man settle down; you can keep using whatever oil you like.

I don't think it's a question of what he uses. He knows more than just brand differentiation. You may do well to pay attention to what he posts.

It's funny that in this environment of so many technical variables that convenience (or price)is a strong consideration- i.e. Just get the Mobil 1 at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Originally Posted By: kschachn
This is very interesting. My fiance's Mini Cooper with the N16 engine calls for LL-01 oil (just out of warranty). I plan to use Redline 5W-30. While not officially "certified", the specs appear far better than M1 and Castrol.

Which specs as related to the requirements of Longlife-01?

I never said specific LL-01 specs. I was talking general oil specs, specifically: HTHS, NOACK, cold flow/pour point are far ahead of M1 and Castrol. It's also an ester based oil, which requires less VIIs... will stay in grade longer.

Who gives a [censored] about random data points if the oil can't pass Test developed by those who develop engines ?!? Honestly I get fed up read this [censored] about esters and shear stability. Does it really matter if the oil ends up at 11 or 10 cst. The way you drive it and corresponding fuel dilution has a far greater effect on viscosity

I know a few people who have switched over to an Ester oil and it has helped them tremendously with oil consumption and temps. So I think esters and shear resistance is important to certain degree.

Once out of warranty, all bets are off. Track days, better think that through real hard...

Redline works well for many folks. Extended drain intervals is not what it does best. Lapping Infineon, it does very well
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Once out of warranty, all bets are off. Track days, better think that through real hard...

Redline works well for many folks. Extended drain intervals is not what it does best. Lapping Infineon, it does very well
smile.gif

So what you're saying, is that because it is a good oil for the track (with no evidence on hand to back it up) that it must be good for all users?

Spending double for oil with a drain interval that is half as long sounds like a good way to spend four times as much money.

What benefit would the average BMW owner see from using Redline?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So what you're saying, is that because it is a good oil for the track (with no evidence on hand to back it up) that it must be good for all users?

Spending double for oil with a drain interval that is half as long sounds like a good way to spend four times as much money.

What benefit would the average BMW owner see from using Redline?

Good question. The only benefit that one can prove is that it would look good on your garage shelf to "those in the know", and at the local bar when the subject comes up.

smile.gif

If extended drain intervals are not what it does best, then what good is it to "many folks"? If for a minute we assume it meets Longlife-01, then I will argue that in terms of wear or engine longevity there will be no tangible benefit to the vast majority of users.

So if it doesn't have a long drain interval (as "Longlife" implies) then what good is it?

As stated "track days" for sustained high RPM and high heat use. It comes out at least twice a year. I know a number of Beemer drivers/owners who would not run anything else for a car that gets tracked...

If your BMW is a grocery getter, you and I are on different planets. What's the point ...

Anyone who would consider beating on a beemer while trying to get 10K miles out of their oil is not someone I know, or prolly want to ...

Some of the guys I know change their brake fluid every event ... Oil changes are a given.

Trying to convince the BIL who just bought a new Beemer to drop the FF at some point and get a UOA so we know how the engine is doing (metallic residue/matter). He admits it's a very expensive car, but then seems content to let things go ...

Last edited:
Well you used the term "many folks", I guess I didn't think many folks track their BMW. I have a friend who does track one of his five BMWs but I figured that was atypical.

Oh and my BMW is not a "grocery getter" but I don't track it either. I'm still unclear what advantage I or most folks would have by purchasing Redline oil at nearly three times the cost of Castrol @ Walmart.

Prolly none. But there is more related info here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4069393/1/new_bmw_10w60_turbo_oil
smile.gif

I was trying to suggest that Redline is not an appropriate oil for sustained long oil change intervals. Their add-pak package is not up for that. And you brought up the cost which is not justified if you are not tracking your car.

I buy Redline products to solve a problem (like notchy shifting in ZF gear boxes, etc.). I never consider them a go-to oil for everyday driven vehicles.

Another extremely good oil is Motul 300v Ester. I dunno if it's on BMW's LL-01 list of not, but I would never hesitate to use it in a track car or a bike. But at $19/L it ain't going into anything that is not pushed to the limit
laugh.gif

As stated "track days" for sustained high RPM and high heat use. It comes out at least twice a year. I know a number of Beemer drivers/owners who would not run anything else for a car that gets tracked...

If your BMW is a grocery getter, you and I are on different planets. What's the point ...

Anyone who would consider beating on a beemer while trying to get 10K miles out of their oil is not someone I know, or prolly want to ...

Some of the guys I know change their brake fluid every event ... Oil changes are a given.

Trying to convince the BIL who just bought a new Beemer to drop the FF at some point and get a UOA so we know how the engine is doing (metallic residue/matter). He admits it's a very expensive car, but then seems content to let things go ...

I think you've got it right. Track use is quite different to normal city/highway driving, the life span of all car fluids should be reduced drastically if a car's been used on a track and/or highly tuned (FI, Nitro, etc). An engine oil that has reached for prolonged periods temperatures of about and above 140-150 degrees Celsius is a good candidate for an oil change because high tepms use to lead to high oil oxidation and tend to destroy oil additives, reducing the level of oil's performance significantly.
It's not something unusuall to change all race car's fluids after every/a few racing events - depending on the level and intensity of racing.
For track use oil change intervals should be measured in engine hours, not in thousand miles, years and so on.

Prolly none. But there is more related info here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4069393/1/new_bmw_10w60_turbo_oil
smile.gif

I was trying to suggest that Redline is not an appropriate oil for sustained long oil change intervals. Their add-pak package is not up for that. And you brought up the cost which is not justified if you are not tracking your car.

I buy Redline products to solve a problem (like notchy shifting in ZF gear boxes, etc.). I never consider them a go-to oil for everyday driven vehicles.

Another extremely good oil is Motul 300v Ester. I dunno if it's on BMW's LL-01 list of not, but I would never hesitate to use it in a track car or a bike. But at $19/L it ain't going into anything that is not pushed to the limit
laugh.gif

I think there's not an all-purpose oil. A "civil" oil apropriate for long OCIs isn't the best option for high-stressed race cars engines used mostly on track - just the additives that make an oil "long life" are not the same that make an oil "high performance". That's why oils like Redline and Motul 300V even not carrying manufacturer's recomendations are much better option for track driven cars - their additive packages are dedicated on mostly protecting the engine, not losing oil pressure with high temperatures, dealing with high fuel dilution which is something normal for a high-performance race car, but their priorities are not taking care of emissions control systems, extremely long OCIs (for which a lot of detergent and dispersant additives are needed). I think it's impossible to have all in a bottle - a Long Life manufacturers approved oil which in the same time passes the hard test of race track.
For race applications IMO oils like Redline and Motul 300V are the way to go, although they don't appear in the factory recomendation lists and don't carry manufacturers approvals like BMW LL 01,04; VW 502 00/505 00; MB 229,5/226,5 etc. And for a grocery getter doing long OCIs better stay with oficially approved oils having all detergent and conserving additives, allowing longer use.

Hello:

Speaking of "Favorite BMW LL-01 oil", perhaps you have not seen my LL-01 thread about the performance of different LL-01 brands. It's a little bit of a long read.

".....In summary, both my BMWs quickly lost 2/3 to 3/4 quart of the Liqui Moly Leichtlauf HT 5W-40 (both have the same 6.9 quart sump capacity). Using my wife's 328i as the example, this was a 10.9% loss of oil volume in just 128 miles. 100C viscosity increased 9.1% in that same 128 miles....."

The moral of the story is that even when oils meet the same spec (eg LL-01), the behavior of these oils may vary greatly.

Hard to believe but it's true. Weird, eh?

Scott

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...chtlauf_#UNREAD

I'd seen that thread. The liqui-moly was an oil I was specifically interested in.

Related, thoughts about the new euro Pennzoil Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back