Any advice for me... a PEDAL MASHER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like cycling on secondary roads, where steep grade hills, and gravel are present. My first bike was a Western Flyer, single speed and ever since if the going got tough, I would mash those pedals.

Now I just got my Bike rebuilt. a Trek 7300 hybrid. I'm about to start the cycling season, any advice for hill climbing in the countryside without mashing the pedals.

Do I need lower gearing? I do not cycle at fast speeds.

Last edited:
Pedals with clips or at least quality cages do wonders for efficiency on hills, just remind yourself to "pull" with each pedal stroke and it'll become second nature soon enough. If there is gravel, try and transfer your weight to the back of the saddle to maintain traction, especially while using a granny gear, you'll be surprised with the amount of places slicks/hybrid tires will be able to take you!

Pedals won't change his method of mashing, if by mashing he means too high a gear and pushing hard to get up the hill. Vern, that's why they put all those gears on there. On flat ground do you pedal at 70-90 rpm or do you mash there too?

As you start into the base of the climb start downshifting to keep the effort low and your rpms up. Keep shifting down, eventually you'll get to a gear that you can spin up the hill, or you'll run out of gears. Do you sit or stand to climb? Standing takes a lower rpm usually. Only you can operate the shifters.

Quote:
Vern, that's why they put all those gears on there. On flat ground do you pedal at 70-90 rpm or do you mash there too?

Well, I only use the smallest front gear(1, I never use the two smaller gears) and just shift between 1-5 gears in the back. This seems the easiest for me. So I'm more of a cruiser.

When going up hills, I peter out and end up at the lowest gears only half way up the hill, then I stand and mash up the rest of the way. I'm talking about 30 degree slopes on paved country roads.

My front shocks pulsate and I'm standing as I mash up the hill, front wheel almost lifts.

Last edited:
You're not a masher, you're just not strong enough for where you ride! A masher runs too high of a gear all the time thinking pushing hard and slow is fast. You just run out of steam. Knowing nothing about you or how & where you ride there's no way to give advice on how to get stronger. If you always use the little chainring and ony 1-5 on the back you never go very fast, and probably don't get much workout. Pretty hard to imagine 30 degree uphills on paved roads anywhere...

There's lots of advice online for bike training if that's what you want. FWIW hills always hurt, you just go up them faster as you get fit.

If you have a suspension fork, lock it out. For me, I feel hills are to be taken on a low gear - slow and steady beats spinning out. On a hybrid bike, you have mountain gearing - an 34x24 combo isn't a bad climbing ratio.

Fitness trumps gearing on hills.

Thirty degrees is pretty steep. That's a 1 foot rise over ~1.73 feet of travel.

I think the steepest climb on the Tour de France is around 10-12% or about 5 to 7 degrees.

If you are trying to climb 30 degree hills, that's your problem, the hill is too darn steep.

If you can't turn at least 60 rpm with the pedals, you need a lower gear. Your knees aren't built for it, save them and get the gearing you need. If you get stronger, you can always go back to what you have.

Vern, nobody mentioned bike fit. If you've got a riding position much out of the traditionally accepted optimal then you're giving up power and efficiency. Something like seat too low or handlebars way too high will kill your uphill. A huge comfort seat won't do you any favors either. Lots of info online on good bike fit as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back