Fishing tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going fishing tomorrow morning early in a large reservoir. Any good tips for bass, sunny's, etc? We are going on a boat so depth is no problem for us if we need it..

Is bass season open where you are? Doesn't open for about 6 weeks yet here.

My favorite for sunfish is a jig with a leech on it. That usually gets them one right after another for me. Gets to be fun when you run across a big school of nice sized ones. Bass love leeches too, so sometimes you find out real quick it ain't no sunny on the end of that line.

I used to work with a guy that swore by hellgrammites aka dobsonfly larvae. He gave me one to try. I was scared to even touch it and used pliers to hold while a put the hook under its thoracic shell. As soon as it hit the water the fish went crazy. Unfortunately, a smaller quicker fish got the hook first but there was large fish interested in it.

You're bass fishing. They will bite darn near anything.

3 year olds can catch a bass. You can literally use anything. You just have to find them. Like any fisherman who wants to catch bass and panfish, look for structure.

Can you find a weed line? Breaks? Rocks?

Crack of light (dusk/dawn) I like top water (spooks, poppers).
Most used - plastic worms (usually start Texas rigged, may try wacky rigs or Carolina style).
Work in - jerk baits, spinner baits, plugs/swim baits.
Cold water, fish not to active, work slow slow slow then I might throw jigs in the mix.

Minnows - I've seen live bait users get nice bass with them.

Clear water I start out light color tackle, murky water I'll go dark colors. No hits then I'll switch color tactics.

Clear cold and/or water with heavy fishing pressure, finesse tactics. Light line, small tackle, work slow.

You may find reports on line for your area. Local tackle shops can provide what's biting and what works. Tackle & sports stores may have fishing/hunting newspapers on stand or at counters (I get Fish Sniffer & Western Outdoor News). I also listen to a early Saturday morning 5am-8am local AM radio station mainly geared toward fishing, some hunting (in season), lake conditions & reports etc.

While on the water, watch others fishing (working fast/slow, shallow/deep, structure, etc.).

Add - chow, snacks, drinks. Proper clothing for weather. Maybe a radio. Plenty of bait if using minnows and keep em alive.

Add - Often check hook point sharpness and dress them sharp as needed (I use diamond sharpeners). Extra line/rods & reels.

Main thing... have fun & remember it's called fishing, not catching. Can't git'em all all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back