No Benefit: Centrifuge or Bypass Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
No data = useless blog post. Based on the text, you can't infer whether the used oil for both setups, with and without the centrifuge, were used up at an equal interval, or whether one or the other or both analysis results indicated that a longer interval was possible.

Even if both analysis results looked similar at the same interval, does hat mean both will continue along the same trend line of the interval is extended even further?

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
Negative review from an oil company about filters that might reduce the demand for their product?

Whodathunkit?
Is it any different than the marketing claims from the companies that sell the bypass filters.

Every Centrifuge picture or video I have seen, whether from a Centrifuge manufacturer or user always shows some sort of debris "spun" out of the oil in a used Centrifuge. Thus, they must be working. Same with the toilet paper bypass filters. When you change one out, the old one is always dark with contaminants. As always, its everyone choice to use one or not...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Is it any different than the marketing claims from the companies that sell the bypass filters.

I've never seen a "marketing claim" for the Motorguards installed throughout my fleet - have you?

I have purchased the smallest Centrifuge I could find, without paying for engineering. This is designed for oil sumps 7-15 liters and measures 75mm X 130mm, about the size of a coffee cup; Model LC-10:

http://www.bhagyashreeaccessories.com/centrifugal-lube-oil-cleaners.html

I'm going to install this together with a Puradyn filter that replenishes the additives in motor oil; Puradyn has 5 US Patents:

https://www.puradyn.com/5-7-product-line/

https://www.puradyn.com/filter-elements/

I'm not inventing anything; just using known and proven technology; but what if, by changing filter elements @ about 15K intervals and adding top up oil when necessary, what if I can TOTALLY eliminate oil changes for the life of the vehicle; AND extend the useful life of the engine?

WHO doesn't want this to happen? Answer: Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, Chevron, Shell Oil, Walmart, Napa, Autozone, Fram Filters, Car Dealerships, Jiffy Lube, etc....

Of course, I will be doing UOA to verify and track results, but what if?

Originally Posted By: xtell
Every Centrifuge picture or video I have seen, whether from a Centrifuge manufacturer or user always shows some sort of debris "spun" out of the oil in a used Centrifuge. Thus, they must be working. Same with the toilet paper bypass filters. When you change one out, the old one is always dark with contaminants. As always, its everyone choice to use one or not...

Some large ship's diesel generators have large individual sumps for lube oil. If there is no ability to draw off, purify and return the oil, a paper-type centrifugal filter is used as a particulate separator. I've only seen a few changed in my life, but they did work, though they had a lot less in them than you'd expect. I'd bet money that the bottom of the sump was pretty gross, though.

This is an excerpt from the OP page linked to:

Centrifuge or bypass extended service oil filters, designed to remove soot by spinning a bypassed stream of oil, have shown questionable results. In one evaluation conducted by Chevron Lubricants with a large national refuse hauling company, there was not one measurable benefit with extended drain intervals when using this type of filter.

These filters can not only be ineffective, but also costly. For example, based on Chevron’s used oil analysis, the addition of a bypass filter at a cost of up to $1,500 per vehicle did not result in any difference in performance compared to identical units without the centrifuge filter assembly. Wear metal concentrations, viscosity and acid control were excellent at extended intervals with and without the bypass units, causing the fleet to rethink the added cost of the centrifugal filters.

- See more at: http://www.chevronlubematters.com/2015/0...R.a9Qecxgn.dpuf

IMHO, this is nothing short of falsehood and propaganda, but hey, Chevron wants to sell more oil. Change it every 3k miles. Notice the very careful wording: "no difference in performance" Performance of what? The engine? Going to dyno more measurable horsepower using a better oil filter?

Notice Chevron does NOT claim that the oil is not cleaner. I'm betting on the Centrifuge: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3780763/centrifuge#Post3780763

"With longer oil drain intervals, one of the keys to success is the analysis of routine oil use, which is important because detecting contamination, coolant leaks and fuel dilution is critical for ensuring long engine service life.

The benefits of extending oil drain intervals correctly can be significant. By implementing an extended drain program in conjunction with OEMs and lubricant suppliers, fleets can realize a measurable payback in reduced maintenance, lubricant and waste oil disposal costs.

Count the costs of your extended service diesel engine oil filter. Whether you are planning to go beyond OEM recommended drain intervals or just your fleet’s current interval, using the right filter to safely extend drains is essential along with using premium lubricants and a robust used oil analysis program".
Cut and paste from the article.

^^ CT8 is absolutely correct, but the article is a duh?! I think anyone who is using synthetic oil and bypass filtration or maybe a centrifuge will learn nothing new from this article. What do you think Chevron's purpose of the article is? Answer: To cast doubt on fine(er) filtration and its benefits.

I'm not buying their snake oil scare tactics. I have been doing UOA and I know how to read the report. It's like the gas company telling you to leave your furnace pilot light lit all summer because a spider web can cause problems in the fall. Who is telling you what and what are they selling?

I spent 23 years in total working for an independent and a dealership that rented forklifts sweepers the company has 3 class 8 trucks and we mostly did forklifts and sweepers yet other material handling equipment was filtered into the mix as well as some larger trucks and equipment due to the while you are servicing our forklifts can yo do our Semi? So we did it. What I learned is proper maintenance done properly was the secret for long life. a bypass filter setup may or may not increase the oil life or the engine life due to the machines operating conditions, A semi driven around town will not last as long as an over the road truck in most circumstances. Most fleet maintenance etc is managed to have the equipment last as long as possible at the lowest cost . Each company had its own science . Some companies bought new equipment every 3 or 5 years ,some leased equipment and some thought is was better to fix the equipment and invest the larger chunks on product to manufacture and sell.. You can't have a blanket statement that works in real life. For example the majority of BITOG seems to say syn oil is the best thing to run in the engines. Why are the latest model semi truck engines running conventional oil. All the trans tags and differentials has run syn oils? It is so interesting. There are some industry pros on the board that really know their stuff and are worth studying up on their postings.

I spent 23 years in total working for an independent and a dealership that rented forklifts sweepers the company has 3 class 8 trucks and we mostly did forklifts and sweepers yet other material handling equipment was filtered into the mix as well as some larger trucks and equipment due to the while you are servicing our forklifts can yo do our Semi? So we did it. What I learned is proper maintenance done properly was the secret for long life. a bypass filter setup may or may not increase the oil life or the engine life due to the machines operating conditions, A semi driven around town will not last as long as an over the road truck in most circumstances. Most fleet maintenance etc is managed to have the equipment last as long as possible at the lowest cost . Each company had its own science . Some companies bought new equipment every 3 or 5 years ,some leased equipment and some thought is was better to fix the equipment and invest the larger chunks on product to manufacture and sell.. You can't have a blanket statement that works in real life. For example the majority of BITOG seems to say syn oil is the best thing to run in the engines. Why are the latest model semi truck engines running conventional oil. All the trans tags and differentials has run syn oils? It is so interesting. There are some industry pros on the board that really know their stuff and are worth studying up on their postings.

It says they tested garbage trucks from what I read. Baldwin, etc, already provide dual filters for these kind of larger engines, don't they? The filters have a bypass element built in. They aren't talking about pickup truck engine filters from WM, and give no details on the test filters. Of course there was no noticeable difference adding centrifuge filtration, since the engines probably used high quality element bypass filters. The article really says centrifuge only, the bypass part was because centrifuge filters are a type of bypass filter. The next sentence says "designed to remove soot by spinning a bypassed stream of" They are not talking about element bypass filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back