Pepper Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are a lot of gun lovers on this site.
I am one of them , but:

Question:
1) Anyone prefer to carry Pepper Spray instead of a pistol ? ? ?
2) Anyone ever use Pepper Spray ? ? ?
3) Anyone ever in a situation where they were glad they had a pistol and not Pepper Spray ? ? ?

Mostly I'm referring to being out in public.
If anyone broke into my house, well,,,, that's another story.

Op here,

No, I have never been sprayed, and with YouTube videos, I don't need to be.

I would have no problem (justifiable) Pepper Spraying someone and then leaving the scene.
If you shoot someone, you kinda have to stick around.

Now, I haven't spent a LOT of time researching but my understanding is the right pepper spray can actually be more effective than many handguns on some various 4 legged friends.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
I am one of them , but:

Question:
3) Anyone ever in a situation where they were glad they had a pistol and not Pepper Spray ? ? ?

1) Depending on where you are, the Pepper Spray is legally the same as a weapon. It may have to do with the concentration percentage of the agitating agent or chemical.

2) No.

3) If you get run up on by a drug addict, some kind of .38 Special or higher would be the stopping power you want. Maybe that has changed with grain of ammo, still I hear of many folks not getting put down or stopped with smaller than 9mm ammo, even multiple shots. If the situation ever arose.

Pepper spray and firearms are both usually concealed - the assailant doesn't know you're armed until he's on top of you..

If you carry for example, a chainsaw, the assailant will pick an easier target.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Pepper spray and firearms are both usually concealed - the assailant doesn't know you're armed until he's on top of you..

If you carry for example, a chainsaw, the assailant will pick an easier target.

Depending on where you live, you would need CCW to legally carry.. Right on.

Some places.... Don't care.

Depends on your local gub'ment.

I have bear pepper spray. Its more like a small fire extinguisher full of pepper spray. More of it and goes farther. I bring it when I am in the woods with my dogs.

I approach concealed carry defense as a 'layered' prospect; sometimes carrying a firearm is not an acceptable prospect (eg: employer doesn't allow firearms on property, no firearms allowed where alcohol is served in PA, etc); I virtually always have some sort of pepper spray or pepper gel and a small reliable folding knife on me and ccw with a firearm is intermittent; I have several brands/types that I have used over the years...currently go between Sabre Red pepper gel (flip top) and UDAP pepper spray (twist safety switch); in previous years I have used Sabre 3-in-1 pepper/OC spray (twist safety switch) and Mace 10% pepper spray (flip top); shortly after the expiration dates I take the older stuff and spray the bushes in the backyard to agitiate stray dogs/feral cats from using them as a bathroom stop (lasts until the rain or condensation washes away the residue)

Question:

I typically carry both. Pepper spray is not a substitute for a pistol, and a pistol is not a substitute for pepper spray. They have different tasks.

I've sprayed about 50 people in my previous career in corrections/law enforcement. The lesser concentrations are USUALLY effective on most people. The super strong formulations will melt the face off of everyone except those in excited delirium (the drugged up, naked, bloody guys punching holes in windows and fences, that have super human strength and don't feel pain)

Many a time. Like I said above, pepper spray is not a substitute for a weapon. If you live in an area where you can't carry a pistol, carry a framing hammer, a picture frame, and a pack of nails in your brief case. If ever questioned about the framing hammer, tell the officer that you were just going to put a picture up on the wall in your office. A framing hammer is a formidable weapon.

I am one of them , but:

Question:

1. no
2. no
3. no

Pepper spray is better than nothing. But I would never rely on it.

One consideration with pepper spray is blowback! If the wind is blowing toward you you will experience some of the effects, particularly if you use the fogger type which is the most effective.

This spray is the most common police spray used in the USA. Most use 0.2% "strength" (top left in picture), and is effective on 98% of people.

defense-technology-pepper-spray-mk2_2_569x560.jpg

The 0.7%. is ridiculously strong, It's what I carry every day.

The 1.3% one is melt your face hot. It's the hottest formulation this company makes. It effects the person spraying it pretty badly. I actually consider is too hot, but it does work and will put a person on their butt. I've used it in corrections and I hated squeezing the trigger as it made my throw-up too just from the incidental exposure. Terrible stuff. Like I said, I think it is TOO HOT, which is unnecessary and unneeded.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Now, I haven't spent a LOT of time researching but my understanding is the right pepper spray can actually be more effective than many handguns on some various 4 legged friends.

That depends!

In cases of my own personal dog walks, approaching dogs on the attack are really hard to subdue with pepper spray. When the two dogs engage, they constantly move both up & down and sideways. I found it almost impossible to land spray directly in the face.

I now prefer carrying a 17" club, which resembles a baseball bat.

However, when I'm out on an exercise walk by myself, I can see where pepper spray could be more effectively applied in the dog's face, for the animal is directly at you, versus several feet away using a long retractable dog leash. The club allows me to hit the dog anywhere on his body and create a blow hard enough to back-off the dog, or knock it silly, which I have done a few times.

By-the-way, my Min Schnauzer has been attacked 28 times in six years of long neighborhood walks. I would guess 24 of those attacks were of pitbull varieties. Our subdivision features homes that are on top of one another. I walk out my side door to a 1-1/2 car wide driveway - then a fenced 34" easement - then the neighbor's home is right there, beyond the easement. So there are many-many homes here in this subdivision.

Last edited:
Yes I carry a large can of cold Steel inferno sometimes. From the research I did back then it seemed pretty much the best. Sometimes I carry both the spray and my firearm.

It's very strong I had an accident with it involving falling off the top of a tall book shelf and somehow something got lodged in the mechanism and it discharged itself quite a bit. Even the indirect vapors were insane

200bd5h.jpg

I used to carry the 1.3 oz one but I worried about running out if I ever actually needed it for multiple attackers so now I have the 2.5 oz unit which is good for a few people

They make the bear sized fire extinguisher model too if you need to stop a small riot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back