Looking at buying a new .22 rifle this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me throw a third in there. It is the Browning BL22. A few years ago when I decided I wanted a lever action, I was looking at a Henry Golden Boy lever action, as I was attracted by the older style. The gun store employee handed me the Browning BL22 and told me to compare the action on the two rifles. I was totally amazed. The difference between the two is on opposite ends of the scale. The Henry action is rough and heavy, with a very long throw. In comparison the Browning action is smooth as silk, very light, and a very short throw. The workmanship makes it a beauty to hold and behold. He also pointed out the that Browning fits much better on my shoulder, as the Henry has an extreme angle on the but stock, putting it in an unnatural position.

For a moment, I was angry with the store employee, as I had wanted the Henry because I perceived it as being a part Western Americana, even manufactured in the USA, while the Browning is produced in Japan. But in the end, I had to have the better of the two. Another Heirloom gun.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Let me throw a third in there. It is the Browning BL22. A few years ago when I decided I wanted a lever action, I was looking at a Henry Golden Boy lever action, as I was attracted by the older style. The gun store employee handed me the Browning BL22 and told me to compare the action on the two rifles. I was totally amazed. The difference between the two is on opposite ends of the scale. The Henry action is rough and heavy, with a very long throw. In comparison the Browning action is smooth as silk, very light, and a very short throw. The workmanship makes it a beauty to hold and behold. He also pointed out the that Browning fits much better on my shoulder, as the Henry has an extreme angle on the but stock, putting it in an unnatural position.

For a moment, I was angry with the store employee, as I had wanted the Henry because I perceived it as being a part Western Americana, even manufactured in the USA, while the Browning is produced in Japan. But in the end, I had to have the better of the two. Another Heirloom gun.

+1

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Here are a couple suggestions, They are a little higher on the price ladder, but both are known as being among the most accurate .22 rifles outside the super high priced guns.

One is the Marlin 39A lever action. Everyone that I have talked to that has owned one tells me it is the most accurate .22 they have owned. And it has a great history. It has been in production longer than any other .22. That doesn't mean that the action is archaic. It is one of the smoothest actions on any gun in the price range. A real pleasure to handle. And it is very unique when compared to all the generic auto action .22 rifles that are out there. It is going to be one of my next two .22 purchases. The only disadvantage to this sweet piece is that it is difficult to find. If you come across one, buy it. Don't wait as I did the first time I found one, as it may be a long time before you find it again.

I'll second that as well. The Marlin 39-A is a he!! of a high end .22. I purchased this one new back in 2000, before the Remington / Cerberus takeover of Marlin. I looked all over Phoenix before I finally found this one. It was the only new one they had. I must have called over 20 gun shops looking. I paid retail at the time which was $405.00. today they're substantially higher.... If you can find one. Used one's don't come up for sale vary often, unless they're gunsmith specials. And if you do find a good used one, expect to pay through the nose for it.

The gun is all forged blued steel and Walnut. No Aluminum or plastic anywhere. It is a rifle that properly cared for will last several lifetimes. It would most likely be one of the last guns I would ever part with.

If you are looking for accuracy with breaking the bank get a CZ or Savage (Accutrigger model) bolt action. The CZ will be a little more expensive than the Savage but will feel more solid. However the Savage will be just as accurate based on my experience. I have no experience with their semi-auto rifles, but I have no doubt they both would be almost as accurate as the bolt actions.

The other semi-auto I would consider is a Marlin 60, preferably a used model before they started putting plastic trigger guards and trim pieces on them.

I think you can`t go wrong with any of the rifles mentioned. Buy what you want to spend the money on if that`s no object .

Update: Went to a Cabelas in Columbus and looked at .22 rifles and a bunch of other awesome stuff. I looked at a Remington 597, Browning BL-22 and a Henry lever action .22. I like the Browning the most. The lever action on the Browning is smoother along with a shorter throw. They didn't have the exact model I want so I'm going to sleep on it.

Get the model you're after. I made that mistake with my last rifle purchase. Cabelas didn't have the Browning Bar in my first choice 7-mag, so I went home with a .300WSM.

I later regretted not waiting for the 7-mag to be restocked.

Another mistake was getting a 12 gauge instead of that 20 gauge I looked at a couple days prior to that.

So stick with the plan.....

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Get the model you're after. I made that mistake with my last rifle purchase. Cabelas didn't have the Browning Bar in my first choice 7-mag, so I went home with a .300WSM.

I later regretted not waiting for the 7-mag to be restocked.

Another mistake was getting a 12 gauge instead of that 20 gauge I looked at a couple days prior to that.

So stick with the plan.....

Good answer. In the original post it seemed like he was after a semi-auto...now leaning towards a lever action.

Alot of choices..curious to know if this is going to be a hunting rifle, target, or plinker?

Have you taken a look at any lever guns? You cannot go wrong with a Henry Golden-Boy. Manufactured in USA from all domestic parts to boot. Another nice lever gun in .22LR is the Browning BL-22. I love/own both of these rifles. Then again all of my rifles are lever action so I'm biased when it comes to lever guns.
grin.gif

edit: Skyactiv, I just saw your post. I will say that although I do love my BL-22 a lot, the trigger pull is HARD. Just be aware that it's got a heavy trigger. You should be able to have a gun smith adjust the trigger pull eventually if you want. Also keep in mind the BL-22 comes in three different grades (if I recall). Grade I is plain jane, Grade II has engraving on the action and Grade III includes an octagon barrel. Although the Browning has the 30 degree action the Henry 90 degree action is butter smooth and a blast to shoot as well.

IMHO do not buy a gun based on price alone. Get what you WANT and keep/enjoy it forever and hand it down.

You can't go wrong with Marlin lever guns either. I have nothing against semi-auto 22s but I've shot many of them and always enjoy the lever guns hands down.

Last edited:
Marlin 60. I bought mine 39 years ago for 39 bucks at K-Mart (might have been $29 on sale). Still have it and have shot countless rounds through it. Still shoots perfectly, with a small scope it is unbelievably accurate. I still shoot it with my kids. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Last edited:
The BL22 is a very nice rifle, It would be difficult to find something about it to be displeased with.

Another vote for CZ though... they rock.

Have you cruised rimfirecentral?

What are you wanting to do with the 22 rifle?

I had a Ruger 10/22 carbine and while it was a good gun it was not the most accurate thing.

I bought a Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical and that rifle shoots ~1" groups at 100 yards. I paid ~$450 for that rifle. I also have a Savage Mark II BV bolt action that can do 1" at 100 yards as well. This is of course if you have good ammo.

Now if one is on a budget this would be an excellent rifle. Put on a decent scope and you'll be set.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...+21+4RD+SAT+BLU

totegoat, I think they are $50 now a pack.

Op,
get a savage bull barrel 22 either in a bolt or semi-auto and shot a ragged hole with just about any ammo.

I have dozen 22, from kimber, cz, savage, marlin. nearly all of them shoot.
for the $$ can't beat savage,
$200 will get you one.

A very good friend and client brought me a BL-22 to give to my son as his first rifle, when he is ready.

The BL-22 is really a beautiful, well made, rifle. I will give him my Beretta Cheetah 87 in .22, and these will be a couple of high quality .22's he can really enjoy, and maybe pass on to another generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back