New Favorite Cooking Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law set me up with a second hand Traeger Jr Pellet Grill. Nice entry level piece. Previous owner is a friend of his that took good care of it, just stumbled on a wicked deal for a different brand new one.

I've been reading and such over the last couple weeks. A little apprehensive about trying it, scared it would be difficult and take forever. Definitely wanted to work it on a weekend day just in case.

I finally bit the bullet yesterday and cooked an oven roaster on it. I injected the breasts with a couple syringes of a basic marinade (no salt chicken broth, salt, pepper, butter and garlic), put a syringe in each leg, a little bit of dry bbq rub around the skin and dropped it on the grill at 375* with a temp probe in each breast and burning pecan pellets that came with it.

About 1.5-1.75hrs later my phone let me know that it was at temp and off it came.

Best whole chicken I've ever had. I'm normally not much for skin, but that was just awesome. I think I need to buy more pellets.

Some may say it's cheating, but I don't care. It's an amazing piece of equipment.

Most people cook by heating up processed food in the microwave. A pellet grill certainty isn't cheating. Keep cooking and enjoy.

I'm a cheapskate:

clay-smoker%20jpg.jpg

Originally Posted By: hatt
Most people cook by heating up processed food in the microwave. A pellet grill certainty isn't cheating. Keep cooking and enjoy.

Some call it cheating because you aren't maintaining a fire and all that.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Where is the pic of this machine and the wonderful chicken?

I didn't think to take a picture of the chicken. It sure look pretty though.

For the machine see below.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is it like this one?

Yes sir. It's a neat little device.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I'm a cheapskate:

clay-smoker%20jpg.jpg

That's a pretty cool setup. Simple and effective.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I was looking at pellet grilles last weekend. Pretty neat. Pellets are getting more and more popular and they are cheap!

The pellets aren't bad, I bought 40lbs on Amazon for $32. But the grills are expensive, kind of. Depends on what world you're coming from. Expensive compared to CharBroil, but not compared to Weber.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I'm a cheapskate:

clay-smoker%20jpg.jpg

Don't say cheap say thrifty. That is an awesome!

Quote:
Some call it cheating because you aren't maintaining a fire and all that.
All smokers are designed to let you cheat. Some people are just a little too proud of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back