Proper Oil Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 TDI calls for 4.25 quarts of oil. As we all know, diesel oil comes in 4 quart jugs. Is there any harm in running only 4 quarts? I hate having partial bottles around.

I'd round it off to the nearest greater quart number, not the lesser quart number.
My Buick manual specifies 4.5 quarts, but 5 quarts brings it dead on the full line.

What have you been doing for the first 300k miles? Why are you suddenly worried about it now?

Probably wouldn't hurt your engine, especially since some people on here regularly run their engines with the dipstick halfway between fill and max. However I'd rather round up to 4.5, that way you'll only have a have quart left over which you can use up on the next oil change. I'd be a bit hesitant to run it 0.75 quarts more than specified.

My Focus is supposed to take 4.5 quarts, I use a slightly larger filter (FL400S v. FL920S) and fit 5 quarts in without going past the over full mark. Maybe find a slightly larger capacity filter and buy a 4 qt jug + 1 qt bottle. Main reason I did that was to fit the extra oil in, but it's not a diesel so I'm getting the 5 qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd round it off to the nearest greater quart number, not the lesser quart number.
My Buick manual specifies 4.5 quarts, but 5 quarts brings it dead on the full line.

^^This

What's your oci and how much does it consume?
Are you saying at the end of the OCI it hasn't consumed anything appreciable? I'd say stick in 4.5qts, then save the .5 quart to top off about halfway through your OCI (assuming it will consume .5 quarts).

Go ahead and run 4quarts, as long as it's between add/full you're fine. But if your engine consumes, then you'll be adding halfway through anyway...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
What have you been doing for the first 300k miles? Why are you suddenly worried about it now?

I've only had the car for about 18 months and sometimes I put in 4.25 quarts and sometimes just 4. This question just popped into my head during the latest oil change.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Does "I hate having partial bottles around" apply to milk and liquor too? Ha-Ha Kira

hahaha

Last edited:
Your TDI also is designed by people who are dishonest. So, can you trust that the 4.25 qt is accurate?

When you change the oil, there's always some old oil left in there, so if you must, you can add just 4 qts. The proper way to measure oil level after an OCI, however, is in your case add 4 qts., run the engine, stop, let it settle for a while, measure and add. The worst case scenario here is that you have to buy that extra qt. of oil and add as necessary. But, you know that at least the part you're responsible for is done correctly.

Last edited:
I try to keep the oil level at the top of the range on the dipstick no matter what it takes to do it, and yes I have found that often the owner's manual number is not exact--for that matter I bet the dipsticks are not exact! What's wrong with a partial bottle of oil? I always carry some oil with me in the trunk so I can top up as needed and the partial bottle is perfect for that.

I actually have the same "problem", my cars call for a bit over 4L (except the Colt), but I only put 4L, and that put them between 3/4 full and full.
Since They doesn't consume much oil, I'm good with it. No leftover, no mess! But I always have spare 1L bottles in the trunk, just in case.
(That's because I'm lazy and usually buy my oil in 1L/2L bottle or in bulk in a 4L jug.)

The Colt takes an annoying 3,3L... And I tried but 3L doesn't feel enough lol. After 5 OC I'll have a free OC of leftover
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Noey
Your TDI also is designed by people who are dishonest. So, can you trust that the 4.25 qt is accurate?

When you change the oil, there's always some old oil left in there, so if you must, you can add just 4 qts. The proper way to measure oil level after an OCI, however, is in your case add 4 qts., run the engine, stop, let it settle for a while, measure and add. The worst case scenario here is that you have to buy that extra qt. of oil and add as necessary. But, you know that at least the part you're responsible for is done correctly.
VW is "dishonest" enough that the vehicle has gone 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
My 2003 TDI calls for 4.25 quarts of oil. As we all know, diesel oil comes in 4 quart jugs. Is there any harm in running only 4 quarts? I hate having partial bottles around.

Partial bottles are needed for top-offs.

Well, to an extent of course. Too much oil can of course foam when the engine is turning high RPMs. I usually keep it right at the very top of the crosshatched area.

The smallest sump I ever had held 4.5 quarts. If I had a half quart when I did an oil change it got 4.5 quarts, if I didn't it got 5 quarts. I did that for well over 200K miles with no problems. Most of the time it got 5 quarts of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back