Latest Lawnmower change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another condensed learning.

Mixing is good
When you change, some is left behind and you mix, so mixing is good.
Used oil protects better than new.

So I took some used oil from the Navara, ran it through a TP filter (1 cup per week gravity flow is pretty well filtered).

2 parts used Edge 5W30, preconditioned through use and filtered
3 parts M1 5W50
4 parts Penrite small engine SAE 30.

40 minutes of grass mowing and no ill effects apparent.

Must be good.

I would totally mix different brands/weights for my tractor, but using used oil? why? How does used oil protect better than new?

So 'preconditioned' is the new word for used oil?
crackmeup2.gif

You are forgetting, they are all compatible, and having oil left in the sump at OCI time proves it.

40 minutes run time on the brew to date, and nothing bad has happened, clearly there's no problem with the brew.

Another condensed learning.

Mixing is good
When you change, some is left behind and you mix, so mixing is good.

So I took some used oil from the Navara, ran it through a TP filter (1 cup per week gravity flow is pretty well filtered).

2 parts used Edge 5W30, preconditioned through use and filtered
3 parts M1 5W50
4 parts Penrite small engine SAE 30.

Must be good.

^ OK...you have my attention! ^ Were you expecting ill effects after 40 minutes with this home brew?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So 'preconditioned' is the new word for used oil?
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, I'm thinking of marketing it...why go to all that trouble of having to break down the ZDDP and MoDTC during that "high wear" period at the front of an oil change when you can add a quart of pre-conditioned oil with the new fill and get all the benefits ?

seriously, 40 minutes in and I've seen nothing detrimental.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

^ OK...you have my attention! ^ Were you expecting ill effects after 40 minutes with this home brew?

I'll probably have another half hour next weekend, and pretty sure that nothing bad will happen then either.

Note that my absence of failure is not prompting me to recommend any of the above practices to anyone...just nothing bad has happened.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

You sure about that?

You gave it 40 whole minutes, huh? Wow, such a low bar to hit. How did everything measure out when you completely disassembled it and measured for wear?

Must be good.

Must be!

Bottom Feeder,
you need to keep up with the memes.

As to measuring up, I realised that my components only added up to 9, when there were 10 parts.

The missing part was additives...a little less well measured, but in descending order Rislone, Nulon E20, and Liquimoly MoS2.

I'm even more convinced in the "blend" now.

All that, and nothing bad happened...onto a winner methinks.

How used was each constituent of the frankenbrew to begin with? Could be, that skipping the TP filtration and simply dumping in the used oil would have shown exactly the same results...especially after only 40 min.

Originally Posted By: JW_Ford
I only use "hardly used" oil in my 8 year old push mower. Why spend more money.

how much oil does the push mower hold? 12oz? buying 1 quart would be good for what, at least 2 oil changes? I've never had a mower die from not changing the oil enough, that's for sure, but its pretty cheap insurance to just use new stuff. Even my tractor only takes 2 quarts, supposed to be changed every 100 hours. that's like $10 a year in oil.

+1

I've used some barely used 5w-30 Havoline in my push mower as well and it seems to work just fine

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

how much oil does the push mower hold? 12oz? buying 1 quart would be good for what, at least 2 oil changes? I've never had a mower die from not changing the oil enough, that's for sure, but its pretty cheap insurance to just use new stuff. Even my tractor only takes 2 quarts, supposed to be changed every 100 hours. that's like $10 a year in oil.

Its a beat up mower, my riding mower I take care of as I should.

Its a beat up mower, my riding mower I take care of as I should.

Fair enough! For the most part that may still be better than what most people do, which is never change it for the life of the mower.

If you had substituted 2 parts pee for the 'preconditioned' oil, along with the new oil, wouldn't it most likely have run for 40 minutes as well? .....Sorry...lol!

Back in the OLD days, literally 30/40/50 years ago when I repaired (and serviced) cars for a living, I always got a kick out of people who had very little money who would buy a cheap but solid car, then not want to service it or do minor repairs that would keep it on the road MUCH longer, because it "is just a cheap car"...They would say, I didn't pay hardley anything for it, so I am not going to spend anything on repairs.

And they did the same with lawnmowers too.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Bottom Feeder,
you need to keep up with the memes.

Huh?

This whole post is a joke. Poking fun at people on bitog who do basically the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back