Installing Windows 8.1 with license, but no media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short. Bought a Optiplex 745 a while back with 8.1 installed. Hated 8.1 so installed Mint over it. Now I do not use that computer. Would like to install 8.1 and upgrade to Windows 10. I have product key for 8.1. What procedure do I use to install?

If you have the product key for 8.1 then load 8.1.

Once that is done, it was my experience that Windows will ask you if you want to update to Windows 10.

I did this with my new tablet, and it did not go well. I had to buy a USB hub so I could do a clean install of Windows 10.

You likely won't encounter the same problems with your Optiplex...

You can go to the windows site and download the iso file for Win 10, and burn it. Then install it and put in your product key.You you should be gtg.

If it was a business-oriented OptiPlex it probably came with the Pro version of 8.1. The sticker on the side of the case should be able to tell you.

Saving Windows 10 ISO since it is pretty much what I did for windows 8.1. Will report back what happens. I did not understand the different version letters. I just clicked on 8.1 and 10 both times (first choice) and 64 bit.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
If it was a business-oriented OptiPlex it probably came with the Pro version of 8.1. The sticker on the side of the case should be able to tell you.

It was from an Ebay vendor. It originally came with Vista Ultimate. The Vendor included a Windows 8.1 Product Key, but no sticker.

I should clarify:

During Windows installation, when it asks you for a product key, skip that step. Choose 'Skip', 'Not now', 'Later', whatever it offers (just don't cancel). At that point, the only thing Windows will take is an actual Windows 10 product key. It's not until Windows is fully installed and connected to the Internet will a Windows 7/8/8.1 key work because only then will it have connectivity to the activation servers. Windows 10's ability to take older keys is for a limited time only, I think until June or July of this year, so it's not baked into the original ISO install image.

That said, you still need to know ahead of time which ISO image you need. IIRC, I believe there are two but I'm not sure how it splits them. There is either one with 32/64-bit Win10 Home and one with 32/64-bit Win10 Pro, or one with 32-bit Home and Pro and the other 64-bit Home and Pro. It's been a few months. Sorry.

That Optiplex is an old machine and probably has 1GB memory. Win8-10 may be too fat to do real work well other than just browsing the web. And the ddr2 memory upgrade sticks are relatively expensive. At least 4gb and an SSD would help that box a lot. If you're techie go to look up Black Viper and minimize the memory usage by shutting off services you dont need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
That Optiplex is an old machine and probably has 1GB memory. Win8-10 may be too fat to do real work well other than just browsing the web. And the ddr2 memory upgrade sticks are relatively expensive. At least 4gb and an SSD would help that box a lot. If you're techie go to look up Black Viper and minimize the memory usage by shutting off services you dont need.

It has 4 GB of memory already. But, seems my ISO was corrupt and had problems putting it on USB. I went to plan B. I have a Emachine with Solid State Drive and 4GB Ram. I tried Windows 10 on it before but the AMD E-300 was slow. But now I installed a dedicated graphics card and with the Solid State Drive it is doing OK.

I used my back-up disks since I wanted to keep Word Starter edition. Last time it allowed me to keep it. This time half way through install said it was not compatible and uninstalled it. Thank you Microsoft for your generosity.
frown.gif

Thanks for all the help! Windows is a pain.
mad.gif
The only reason I wanted a copy is I will now have to clock in at work using an Inspirion 7000 series 2-in-1 Tablet running Windows 10. It took 1.5 minutes just to boot up. Trying to learn the operating system to see if I can cut down on the time it takes to clock in.

Mint for the win!!! windows 7 is still the best MS OS made.
why can you not run Linux anymore?
i've ditched Ms in my house. all 7 computers are Linux or Mac.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
Mint for the win!!! windows 7 is still the best MS OS made.
why can you not run Linux anymore?
i've ditched Ms in my house. all 7 computers are Linux or Mac.

I am running Ubuntu right now on a Vista vintage HP and a Thinkpad I use at work. I am only putting Windows 10 on an old computer to learn about that Evil operating system.
grin.gif
I learn by doing and experimenting.

The cats were resting on heat vents on my Emachine I used for Mint. The power supply went out yesterday after that became their favourite spot in the house.

I still like Mint. I tend to experiment with different distros. But I am forced to use Windows 10 at work. XP is all I personally need Windows wise to run old software and never use those machines online.

Besides installing 10 on my Emachine I was able to get 10 PRO installed on the 755. Runs great. I would have never got this done without your help. Using a USB worked and downloaded files from my other Windows 10 machine. Sometimes Linux does not play well with Windows. I only used 13.7 GB of space on my hard when installed by USB. It was over 40 GB when I upgraded to Windows 10 when Windows 7 was already installed on the Emachine.

A while back I was guided to install 8gb Ram on my Optiplex 760 for the lady of the house who mostly uses AOL browser. It turned out well. She is pleased. Who would have thought an oil website would provide such great tech info.

to finish off the dangling items:
1. you can use office.com (all office products) for free
and skip paying for hard license or office365 monthly.
All browser-based so it works on any reasonable browser
with bonus of eliminating the OS wars.
2. you can delete the windows.old or via settings and
get rid of older windows - you have 30 days to revert back
I recall something like getting 10GB back but YMMV.

Bob

Thanks!

With the help of my cats I transferred the power supply from one Emachine to other Emachine that was running Windows 7 and has Windows 10 starter. Will not go online. Just need it as word processor and printing. The Optilex will be my main Windows 10 machine.

Today my HP 6005 arrives for about $43 from Ebay. It was cheaper than a power supply for the Emachine. I can use the Ram from other old computer to upgrade it to 8 GB. Plan to install Windows 10 just to have it since it comes with 7 Pro license. But really want to use it as my main Linux machine.

Windows 10 is helping with work. We have to go everything online to get paid. What works out better for me is having a separate computer for specific tasks.

I had aspirations and training to be a TV repair man 40 years ago. Maybe that is why I have 6 computers in my room.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back