2016 Colorado Duramax 2.8L Oil Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it has DPF and SCR system right?
In that case go with oils that have lowest possible SAPS content.
My preference is Mobil1 5W30 ESP. You can also go with Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 or any other oil that meets ACEA C3 requirements, as well as BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, VW 504.00/507.00.
EDIT: I just checked, and Colorado has all emission systems that any BMW, MB, Audi and new VW's have.
So stick to Low-SAPS oils if you want DPF to last long time and if you want to prevent carbon build up. Go with oil that has VW 504.00/507.00 spec. since that is most stringent spec. when it comes to SAPS level.
Like I said, my choice would be Mobil1 5W30 ESP.

Last edited:
All the CJ-4 oils are designed with DPF and SCR in mind. 1 or less sulfated ash content is the requirement. Most blends and full synthetic CJ-4 oils are lower than 1 by some margin.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
All the CJ-4 oils are designed with DPF and SCR in mind. 1 or less sulfated ash content is the requirement. Most blends and full synthetic CJ-4 oils are lower than 1 by some margin.

Most CJ-4 are right at 0.95%, 0.99% or 1%. There is a reason why passenger vehicles call for 0.8% or less. (I don't know the reason)

Not all DPF and SCR systems are same.
VW/Audi recommends lower SAPS content then others, max 0.8.
On other hand BMW and MB allow bit higher (Mid-SAPS).
Although my BMW allows higher content then VW, I always go for lowest possible SAPS content.
Also, those specs are much, much more stringent then API CJ-4 spec. in many ways.
MB 229.51 does not allow NOACK more then 10%, has very stringent deposit and wear specs. VW 504.00/507.00 are tough on SAPS.
Also, all these oils require HTHS more then 3.5cp, and are on the thinner side of W40 grade or thicker side of W30 grade.
Compare to oils such as Rotella T6 or similar, I would always go with ACEA C3, MB 229.51, BMW LL-04, VW 504.00/507.00 oils.
And I think this engine is going to require much tougher specification then just API Cj-4.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Most CJ-4 are right at 0.95%, 0.99% or 1%. There is a reason why passenger vehicles call for 0.8% or less. (I don't know the reason)

I think main reason is a lot of short trips, city driving etc. Commercial vehicles, especially 18-wheelers see HWY all the time. Grocery getters sometimes do not even warm up engine properly, not to mention to start DPF regeneration.
However, for most of these Euro diesel API specification does not mean anything, nor it could meet other requirements.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I think main reason is a lot of short trips, city driving etc. Commercial vehicles, especially 18-wheelers see HWY all the time. Grocery getters sometimes do not even warm up engine properly, not to mention to start DPF regeneration.
However, for most of these Euro diesel API specification does not mean anything, nor it could meet other requirements.

There are lots of commercial vehicles that do not see highway drives. Work pick-up trucks, tri-axles, delivery vehicles etc.

The whole reason Delo 15w30 exists
wink.gif

There are lots of commercial vehicles that do not see highway drives. Work pick-up trucks, tri-axles, delivery vehicles etc.

The whole reason Delo 15w30 exists
wink.gif

Yeah I know. Not sure I would ever put 15W30 in short tripping vehicle though.
SA of 1, TBN 9? This Chevrolet will require much better oil then that or CJ-4.

I think the main reason is that passenger cars and light trucks have stricter emission requirements for diesel engines than the heavier trucks, so they probably have different emission systems

Originally Posted By: NH73

I think the main reason is that passenger cars and light trucks have stricter emission requirements for diesel engines than the heavier trucks, so they probably have different emission systems

Yeah, that too.

No. Just like I am not concerned with the dexos1 spec

If I were driving something calling for the dexos2 specification and I wanted to go out of spec, I'd be a heck of a lot more careful with that than I would be with a dexos1 speced vehicle. At least the latter will do more than well enough on any synthetic SN/GF-5, and probably on most conventional SN/GF-5 examples, assuming the OCI isn't too long.

The dexos2 spec is a little more problematic. If I went out of the dexos2 spec and the related ACEA C spec, I wouldn't just be grabbing any ordinary CJ-4. I'd probably grab something E6 rated, like Vection 5w-30, Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, or the Delo 5w-30. SA will still be much the same, but phosphorus will be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back