Fram, wix, Bosch, M1 or Napa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys figured I'd ask a penny for your thoughts on these oil filters.

I personally am a huge fan of the M1 and Wix filters. I am currently running my first OCI on my civic using the Fram ultra and I plan on having a UOA done at the end of the interval.

I know there isn't a filter that is gonna make my car spontaneously combust just because of its name but I do love asking these questions for the knowledge aspect. While I have never used a Bosch on any of my vehicles, my dad likes them simply because autozone sells them in their conventional oil "bundles" and occasionally he will grab up an STP filter if it's available.

I've also never used a Napa filter and frankly never heard of them until I became a member of this site. So what's your fav?

Last edited:
Of those, I'd go with the Ultra. M1 used to be an outstanding filter, but its pretty outdated and overpriced compared to full-synthetic wire-backed media filters like the Ultra, RP, Amsoil, and Purolator Boss (which is plastic-mesh backed, but still has a rigid backing to keep it from deforming).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Of those, I'd go with the Ultra. M1 used to be an outstanding filter, but its pretty outdated and overpriced compared to full-synthetic wire-backed media filters like the Ultra, RP, Amsoil, and Purolator Boss (which is plastic-mesh backed, but still has a rigid backing to keep it from deforming).

I've been looking into the purolator boss here lately now that you have mentioned it and I think I will check them out. Never really heard anything bad about them

The Fram Ultra seems to be about the best filter you can really buy based on a filtration efficiency basis. It is also priced well. If looking for an extended drain filter, it would be hard to justify anything else unless it was free or included in a deal.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
The Fram Ultra seems to be about the best filter you can really buy based on a filtration efficiency basis. It is also priced well. If looking for an extended drain filter, it would be hard to justify anything else unless it was free or included in a deal.

I work at my local Walmart 3rd shift while being a full time student and they had my Fram ultra for $7.96. I usually run the M1 filter but given that it's over 5 dollars cheaper for the Fram I may just stick with the Fram

That is what I would do. The only reason I have any Mobil 1 filters is due to the rebate they are doing right now mixed with the Autozone coupon they passed out. Autozone had Mobil 1 and filter for $29.99 and Mobil 1 had a rebate for $15 for oil and filter. The rebate also comes out to a pretty good price with their normal Mobil 1 oil and filter price of $32.99

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
That is what I would do. The only reason I have any Mobil 1 filters is due to the rebate they are doing right now mixed with the Autozone coupon they passed out. Autozone had Mobil 1 and filter for $29.99 and Mobil 1 had a rebate for $15 for oil and filter. The rebate also comes out to a pretty good price with their normal Mobil 1 oil and filter price of $32.99

Wow! That's pretty good seeing as I normally pay 26-28 bucks for the jug of M1 EP 0w-20

NAPA filters are made by Wix, and are quite good in the Gold and Platinum varieties.

I have run M1 filters a couple of times, but think they're overpriced for what you get. At their pricing, I expect a fully synthetic wire-backed media, steel end caps, silicone anti-drainback valve, and a coil spring.

I used to run Purolator ONE filters, but cut apart too many of them that had deformed pleats in the media for me to really be happy with them.

I've run a few Fram Ultra's and think they are excellent filters for the money.

I just put a Wix synthetic filter on my Camaro, and it's run good so far. It will be at least 4 months before I cut it apart and see how it did.

I think Fleetguards are the best-constructed filters out there.

Napa Platinum have low efficiency and are probably the worst looking microglass filters of the bunch, definitely not worth the premium Napa charges

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
NAPA filters are made by Wix, and are quite good in the Gold and Platinum varieties.

I have run M1 filters a couple of times, but think they're overpriced for what you get. At their pricing, I expect a fully synthetic wire-backed media, steel end caps, silicone anti-drainback valve, and a coil spring.

I used to run Purolator ONE filters, but cut apart too many of them that had deformed pleats in the media for me to really be happy with them.

I've run a few Fram Ultra's and think they are excellent filters for the money.

I just put a Wix synthetic filter on my Camaro, and it's run good so far. It will be at least 4 months before I cut it apart and see how it did.

I think Fleetguards are the best-constructed filters out there.

I've heard about those fleet guards being the best on diesel applications especially

+1 on the Fleetguards.

I like the NAPA Gold/Wix filters for most applications.

You really can't go wrong there.

Just as an FWIW, is it really that much more effort to type out "Going to" instead of "Gonna"? it makes you sound like either a yokel or a kid.

Anyways, as long as you keep your OCI's reasonable you can safely run any oil filter out there, the difference in efficiency, etc., is insignificant. Those numbers matter most when you're driving in extreme conditions or you're one of those silly tightwads that runs a filter for more than one OCI.

In my own not so very humble opinion, the best all around filter out there is the Wix (aka "Napa Gold"). Purolator lost me with all those tears, and I just cannot get past the flimsiness of the Fram Orange to believe that the same folks can make a decent, upmarket filter (aka Ultra).

Napa Gold or Platinum (Wix and Wix XP). After a problem with the Ultra and the tearing of Purolators I don't even bother anymore with other brands.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Just as an FWIW, is it really that much more effort to type out "Going to" instead of "Gonna"? it makes you sound like either a yokel or a kid.

Anyways, as long as you keep your OCI's reasonable you can safely run any oil filter out there, the difference in efficiency, etc., is insignificant. Those numbers matter most when you're driving in extreme conditions or you're one of those silly tightwads that runs a filter for more than one OCI.

In my own not so very humble opinion, the best all around filter out there is the Wix (aka "Napa Gold"). Purolator lost me with all those tears, and I just cannot get past the flimsiness of the Fram Orange to believe that the same folks can make a decent, upmarket filter (aka Ultra).

I'm a poor redneck from Alabama where literacy and correct use of words isn't a requirement for anything sir. I won't be losing any of my college credits because of my verbage on this site nor will I lose any sleep for your concern. But I will go as far as to say that....yes in fact it is a little too much to say it properly because it doesn't roll off my fingertips on this keyboard as well when it its typed properly
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Napa Gold or Platinum (Wix and Wix XP). After a problem with the Ultra and the tearing of Purolators I don't even bother anymore with other brands.

Yes the wix brand of filters have always served me very well from my first jeep up to my civic I am currently driving now

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Napa Platinum have low efficiency and are probably the worst looking microglass filters of the bunch, definitely not worth the premium Napa charges

This. The 'lower end' Gold ones are the ones you want, if anything.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I've been looking into the purolator boss here lately now that you have mentioned it and I think I will check them out. Never really heard anything bad about them

Well, you won't see much for a while. The Boss is very new and just starting to penetrate the market. The prior version was the Purolator Synthetic ("PSL-xxxxxx" part number, blue-sparkle textured can), and it had a wire mesh backing much more like a Royal Purple / Amsoil EAO. I've used a number of them, and they always held shape just fine. But IIRC the efficiency was a tick lower than the Fram Ultra or RP.

I will also agree with some of these guys about the Wix being a good filter. I just can't justify the price when a Fram Toughguard is cheaper with a better filtration rating and a mileage rating of up to 10k. That is if paying outright.

If you are paying for an oil deal that comes with a filter I would be perfectly happy with the Wix.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Hey guys figured I'd ask a penny for your thoughts on these oil filters.

I personally am a huge fan of the M1 and Wix filters. I am currently running my first OCI on my civic using the Fram ultra and I plan on having a UOA done at the end of the interval.

I know there isn't a filter that is gonna make my car spontaneously combust just because of its name but I do love asking these questions for the knowledge aspect. While I have never used a Bosch on any of my vehicles, my dad likes them simply because autozone sells them in their conventional oil "bundles" and occasionally he will grab up an STP filter if it's available.

I've also never used a Napa filter and frankly never heard of them until I became a member of this site. So what's your fav?

Though I have not personally used the Bosch filters, photos I've seen of their cut open filters made me want to go elsewhere.

If you like the Mobil 1 filter, you might like the Wix XP. The NAPA equivalent is I believe their 'Platinum' filter. A very fine filter, made with excellent components. Like the M1, it's great for synthetic oil, severe service, and longer drain intervals. I get the Wix filters on Amazon. They are also available at O'Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back