Is penzoil ultra platinum being discontinued.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Pennzoil, about 6 months ago they said no. You can shoot them an email and ask, if you're still unsure after others reply.

I just picked up a jug yesterday, on the clearance shelf at my local WM. They have again reduced the size of the automotive area and the oil selection has dwindled again. They also got rid of the ammo counter. They have reduced my motivation to go into the store to nearly 0.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I just picked up a jug yesterday, on the clearance shelf at my local WM. They have again reduced the size of the automotive area and the oil selection has dwindled again. They also got rid of the ammo counter. They have reduced my motivation to go into the store to nearly 0.

I hardly go to WMT either. They dropped PU a few years ago around here, I hope they continue to sell it online. They seem to run out of it often online, but do get it back. I'd like to stick with it but time will tell........

It had been like that for me for quite some time. I hadn't heard of Ultra until being a member here and started looking when I'd be in parts stores or larger Walmarts.

Now all of the sudden, my local WM carries Ultra 5w20, but that is it.. I would much rather see PP 0w40 (not sure if larger city stores carry it?) since 9 times out of 10, WM has at 1 major brand of synthetic on rollback at all times.

I just now starting noticing 0w40 Castrol at my local store too.

everyone in my town phased it out it sucks since I use it I have wondered the same thing the OP asked I guess you scrounge to find it and hope they dont, I just bought 3 jugs of 5w30 of amazon, then they jacked the price up 15 bucks a jug supply and demand eh lol

I can't find it locally. But I've never seen it locally. I think that's been a problem for most of us for quite some time now.

Originally Posted By: Dupree
everyone in my town phased it out it sucks since I use it I have wondered the same thing the OP asked I guess you scrounge to find it and hope they dont, I just bought 3 jugs of 5w30 of amazon, then they jacked the price up 15 bucks a jug supply and demand eh lol

Amazon's price is a ripoff. Try Walmart online, they are out of it right now in 5W30 but they do get it back in stock. I'd suggest checking once every week or two, don't count on them sending you an email when they get it in stock. I tried that notification button. But for under $28 for a 5 qt. jug its worth checking back from time to time, at least for me.

My local W*M discontinued Ultra, but brought in Platinum High Mileage in its place.

Seems to be a good move to me. With people keeping cars longer than ever, and with it being W*M, it makes sense to me.

Just as long as they keep Gold on the shelf... I'm good.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
A coupe weeks ago I bought 3- 5Qt jugs at Walmart on closeout for 20.00 a jug.

Nice!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My local W*M discontinued Ultra, but brought in Platinum High Mileage in its place.

Seems to be a good move to me. With people keeping cars longer than ever, and with it being W*M, it makes sense to me.

Just as long as they keep Gold on the shelf... I'm good.

Agree. I love the Gold. I use MC oil in one vehicle and Gold in the other. If I had to consolidate I would go to the Gold. For now the price and quality are good on both so I get both.

I have only one of 4 Wal Marts in town that stock it; guess I'd better go and see if they still have it and hoard it.

I have never found it local in Tampa FL and I think that is pathetic. I get it on line from Wal-Mart but the 0W-20 takes some patience. If you buy it from Amazon you are getting ripped off.

I may just go to the Platinum, I just do not see why Pennzoil can not market it better. The Ultra and Ultra Platinum is a bad choice of names IMHO.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Nice!

Even nicer when you fill in the on-line rebate request and get 2 jugs for $10 net.

In December Auto Zone was clearing out the 10W-30 and 0w-40 PU. We probably won't see those again. One of my AZ stores still has some of PU in the clearance rack...but at the full price of $9/quart...fat chance.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Nice!

Even nicer when you fill in the on-line rebate request and get 2 jugs for $10 net.

In December Auto Zone was clearing out the 10W-30 and 0w-40 PU. We probably won't see those again.

It sure is nice at $10. I really cleaned up on it last year through an AMZN screw up. I just hope I can still get it from WMT online when my stash runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back