fluorocarbon leather spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a pair of cold weather leather gloves and reading the instructions they specifically say to avoid "oils, wax, polish or silicone" and advise to "treat the outside of shells with fluorocarbon spray (such as scotchguard leather protector)." These are full grain cowhide outer shells. Kind of weird instructions, but I guess they are trying to avoid compromising the breathable aspect. OK.

Guessing nikwax leather wax or Obenauf's Oil or LP would work very well... Buuutttt if I wanted to actually follow the instructions, I wonder about the 303 Fabric Guard bulk jug I have. Company says not to use it on any leather except suede, but the only info they would give about that is because it might stain? Isn't it a fluorocarbon much like scotchguard?

Curious - why not just use the recommended stuff?

What kind of gloves did you buy? Im looking for some cold weather leather gloves, preferably with removable liners...

These are just ICWG, or intermediate cold wet gloves; military surplus. I believe this is a slightly older model as its a full leather outer shell as opposed to the goat-skin palm with ballistic nylon backside that the newer models use. It does have a "waterproof breathable membrane" but no gore-tex tag so either its a knock-off or some other type of membrane; perhaps sympatex? Gloves are manufactured by Hawkeye in the USA.

Anyways, they fit kinda lousy compared to some of the civilian models. I bought them because of the HD cowhide construction along with the waterproof and insulated features; I figure they are a good motorcycle glove for cooler rides or a SHTF glove... as both scenarios are about as likely
smile.gif

BTW, I am running out of room for more products. I believe the 303 will work well, just haven't tested it out yet. Certainly hasn't hurt any of my leather/cordura boots where I've treated teh cordura with it (and there is certainly overspray onto the leather).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back