Looking at buying a new .22 rifle this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to purchase or order a new rifle chambered for .22LR this weekend. My first .22 was a Remington 522 that was a piece of junk.
I do not want a Ruger 10/22 as everyone I know seems to have one.
I Was at a Rural King last evening and the guy behind the gun counter stated the most accurate semi auto .22 for the money is the Remington 597 which of course they happened to have in stock. Anyone here own a Remington 597? Anything else I should look at?

I have 3 ruger 10/22's, and a Marlin 795.

I like the Marlin better, it is nicer to hold.

But if you like souping up a gun get a 10/22, tons of Butler Creek stuff that is nice.

I didn't get my 795 too long ago but the price has gone up a lot, IIRC I paid around 150$ for it.

I would say the CZ is much more quality built and yes the most accurate out there....and you pay for it. My Remington 597 is very very picky about what type/brand of ammo it decides to like.
For the same money I would definitely go with a Savage Model 64.
My Grandsons Savage64 eats any ammo he puts in it and he can shoot a squirrel out of a tree with deadly accuracy.

I like my Marlin 795 a lot . Most people say they are more accurate out of the box than the Ruger 1022 . And quite a bit cheaper to buy . If your going to leave it stock that`s the one to get . If you want to spend a bunch of money customizing it then go with Ruger.The Magtech 25 round mags work good on the Marlin I bought some at Rural King at $14.99 each .Also put a cheap red dot sight on it that I prefer over a scope .

Have you looked at a stainless steel 10/22? Not everyone has one of them. I'm not a Ruger fan but the 10/22 has been around a long time and they've proven themselves time and time again. They can be nicely customized too.

I've never wanted to own any .22 auto.
I have always liked Bolt-Actions.
If you would consider a Bolt-Action,,, continue reading.

I still have my Winchester Model 320 that I bought in 1973.
It has a walnut Stock, 10 shot Clip and a Weaver Scope.
One sold recently on GunBroker.com for $530.
It's not a piece of junk and I will have it my whole life.

Several years ago my Nephew bought a .22 bolt action (make unknown).
The shell Ejector was made from Spring Steel (very cheap).
It consisted of a flat piece of steel and the End was bent to catch the rim of .22
Only a matter of time before it breaks.

On my Winchester, the Shell Ejector is a forging that was then machined.

My 2 cents: If I were in the market for a older (well built .22) I would go to a Cabelas. They sell used guns. Look thru them and see if you find a really nice one.
I was never for buying 'used' guns, but would rather do that than buy 'new' junk.
USED could mean: Well cared for and Enjoyed (like my guns). I'd have no problem.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:
I have a Marlin 795 and I like it quite a bit. I have shot Ruger 10/22s and I think theyre pretty comparable with a slight advantage to the Ruger.

I've shot a CZ and own a Smith and Wesson 15-22 which is a 22 semi-auto configured the same as an AR. The 15-22 is a lot of fun. If you're going to put a scope on it and shoot 100 yds, I'd go with the CZ but for generally plinking and fun, the 15-22 is hard to beat. Mine has been very reliable. Very.

Of all stupid things, the Mossburg 144LSb is my absolute favorite 22. As far as I know, there are zero 22's available today that are manufactured like the 144LSb. (snarky comments aside, the 144LSb is a very well refined 22)

The 26 inch barrel means that subsonic rounds are absolutely silent, and fully stabilized.

The accuracy is probably unmatched by any 22, other than similarly configured Olympic competition rifles. I can regularly hit a 1/2 inch target at any reasonable distance.

144LSA0006.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite .22 rifle is also a Marlin model 60 with a tubular magazine. It's just a lot of fun to shoot. I would also get the stainless version. You can even find them at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Of all stupid things, the Mossburg 144LSb is my absolute favorite 22. As far as I know, there are zero 22's available today that are manufactured like the 144LSb. (snarky comments aside, the 144LSb is a very well refined 22)

The 26 inch barrel means that subsonic rounds are absolutely silent, and fully stabilized.

The accuracy is probably unmatched by any 22, other than similarly configured Olympic competition rifles. I can regularly hit a 1/2 inch target at any reasonable distance.

144LSA0006.jpg

I have a 52 B they are really fun.

Skyactiv,

If you dont want a 10/22 then I have several suggestions. I do not like to load 22 caliber magazines, I prefer a tube fed rifle. In a semi-auto I suggest a Marlin model 60. Good rifle, accurate, reliable. In a lever action a Henry is a good value. Savage bolt actions with an accutrigger are awesome. Buy what you want and enjoy it!!! If you find a cheap supply of 22 lr ammo please let us know where to get it.

I was never interested in .22. Then I received this Henry from someone and I love it.

21618216913_37ce94d370_h.jpg

Originally Posted By: locomaster1969
Skyactiv,

If you dont want a 10/22 then I have several suggestions. I do not like to load 22 caliber magazines, I prefer a tube fed rifle. In a semi-auto I suggest a Marlin model 60. Good rifle, accurate, reliable. In a lever action a Henry is a good value. Savage bolt actions with an accutrigger are awesome. Buy what you want and enjoy it!!! If you find a cheap supply of 22 lr ammo please let us know where to get it.

Remington .22 525 rounds for $35

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=412491

Cabelas has same for $37 but i heard that the shelves were raped within hours.

Originally Posted By: locomaster1969
Skyactiv,

If you dont want a 10/22 then I have several suggestions. I do not like to load 22 caliber magazines, I prefer a tube fed rifle. In a semi-auto I suggest a Marlin model 60. Good rifle, accurate, reliable.

I'll second that. I have one Ruger 10/22, and currently have 3 Marlin Model 60's. They are excellent rifles. The top one is a circa early 80's model with the 22" barrel, and 17 shot capacity. The middle is the 50th Anniversary Model with Walnut stock. And the bottom is the Stainless Steel model with grey laminated wood stock. All 3 are tack drivers that function flawlessly. Any or all of them will easily outshoot my 10/22.

Here are a couple suggestions, They are a little higher on the price ladder, but both are known as being among the most accurate .22 rifles outside the super high priced guns.

One is the Marlin 39A lever action. Everyone that I have talked to that has owned one tells me it is the most accurate .22 they have owned. And it has a great history. It has been in production longer than any other .22. That doesn't mean that the action is archaic. It is one of the smoothest actions on any gun in the price range. A real pleasure to handle. And it is very unique when compared to all the generic auto action .22 rifles that are out there. It is going to be one of my next two .22 purchases. The only disadvantage to this sweet piece is that it is difficult to find. If you come across one, buy it. Don't wait as I did the first time I found one, as it may be a long time before you find it again.

The other is the Browning T-Bolt. Also a very unique action. Research it online. Once again everyone that I know who has owned one tell me it extremely accurate, and a joy to shoot. The quality is everything you would expect from a Browning. This is the other of my next .22 purchases. Because of it's rarity, if I can find the Marlin, I will buy it first. If not then the Browning.

Either will be the type of firearm that is worthy of becoming a family heirloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back