2009 Toyota Camry 3.5L Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2009 Toyota Camry with a 3.5L V6 with 38,000 I have no idea what the previous maintenance was. Would like to know what other people with this engine are having good luck using for oil and filters. Its supposed to have 5w-30 but doesnt mention dino or synthetic oil in the manual. I plan to drive it until the body falls off. It will be driven in temps from -15F to 90F with city and highway. Thanks for any help.

How long of an OCI are you planning or comfortable with?

Last edited:
A minimum of 5,000 miles. Im curious as to what other poeple are doing with this engine because most comments are towards the 4 cylinder.

I have the V6 3.5L in my 2009 Venza.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 on a 5,000 mile OCI with OEM filter.

Great engine with minimal issues - at least that I have been able to find.

The oil filter is a little tricky to remove. Get the correct wrench cap off ebay and you should be good. You can find oil change videos on You Tube for the 3.5.

Originally Posted By: Danno
I have the V6 3.5L in my 2009 Venza.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 on a 5,000 mile OCI with OEM filter.

Great engine with minimal issues - at least that I have been able to find.

The oil filter is a little tricky to remove. Get the correct wrench cap off ebay and you should be good. You can find oil change videos on You Tube for the 3.5.

Thanks I will deffinetly buy one.

Normally for 5K I would say most conventionals would be fine.

BUT Toyota V6s have a history of being hard on oil and making sludge. So I would prob run a full syn even with 5K intervals and fram tough guard. Or ultra changed every other oci.

Originally Posted By: JW_Ford
Im "open" to going longer than 5k but was curious as to what other people use for this engine.

7.5k with a good syn is no problem. There area a large number of UOA you can see for this, or do your own and work up to it.

Both my neighbor and I use M1 HM 10w-30 in ours, and for 7.5k OCIs. I have the prior gen V6 in a Lexus and he has the same engine as yours in a Toyota. We are both very technical and researched it exhaustively. Mine now has 250k+ miles on it and runs great, no appreciable oil use (maybe a few ounces; not enough to require make-up oil). Our weather is ideal for 10w-30 year round, but if you don't go below 0F much, 10w vs 5w won't matter. Going to an HM oil for the better add pac and to keep your seals in good shape (why wait until the leak?) would be a good move.

Toyota V6s had some oil issues in the 90s, but that's not germane here.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: JW_Ford
Im "open" to going longer than 5k but was curious as to what other people use for this engine.

7.5k with a good syn is no problem. There area a large number of UOA you can see for this, or do your own and work up to it.

Both my neighbor and I use M1 HM 10w-30 in ours, and for 7.5k OCIs. I have the prior gen V6 in a Lexus and he has the same engine as yours in a Toyota. We are both very technical and researched it exhaustively. Mine now has 250k+ miles on it and runs great, no appreciable oil use (maybe a few ounces; not enough to require make-up oil). Our weather is ideal for 10w-30 year round, but if you don't go below 0F much, 10w vs 5w won't matter. Going to an HM oil for the better add pac and to keep your seals in good shape (why wait until the leak?) would be a good move.

Toyota V6s had some oil issues in the 90s, but that's not germane here.

they've had oil burning issues up to 06+

For whatever reason neither of my vehicles like the new Pennzoil Platinum after a few thousand miles. Nothing scientific just a butt dyno rough feeling my vehicle's get when they want their oil changed. I don't get that with M1 until about 7-8k.

I bought a 2009 Camry XLE 2GRFE V6 this past January with 40K on the odometer. Certified used Toyota & bought a extended 3x36 Toyota bumper to bumper warranty. The next day I changed the oil to Mobil-1 5W-30 with Toyota filter. The engine runs super smooth & I'm coming up on a oil change soon. Gonna keep using this oil & interval service. Just make sure that your 2009 had the LSC-90K oil cooler line recall done to replace the faulty rubber hose with a metal one. Many blown V6 engines out there because the rubber hose leaked oil out. Get this done & this car will last 300-500K easy!

Last edited:
I used Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 in our Sienna with this engine. After 140,000 miles, no oil consumption and no evidence of varnish.

The main problem with these engines is not oil related IMO but rather coolant leak related. Lots of Toyota V6 tend to spring leaks via the head gasket or water pump. There is some anecdotal evidence by Toyota mechanics that it could be related to the super long life pink Toyota coolant. This is what I would focus on if you want a 200k-300k engine.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
For whatever reason neither of my vehicles like the new Pennzoil Platinum after a few thousand miles. Nothing scientific just a butt dyno rough feeling my vehicle's get when they want their oil changed. I don't get that with M1 until about 7-8k.

There is no way you can feel when your engine needs an oil change.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I used Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 in our Sienna with this engine. After 140,000 miles, no oil consumption and no evidence of varnish.

The main problem with these engines is not oil related IMO but rather coolant leak related. Lots of Toyota V6 tend to spring leaks via the head gasket or water pump. There is some anecdotal evidence by Toyota mechanics that it could be related to the super long life pink Toyota coolant. This is what I would focus on if you want a 200k-300k engine.

That's [censored]. The pink coolant gets blamed for problems in the 2az-fe too but it's casting issues and bum waterpumps from aisin.

Any quality synthetic 5w-30 will be fine, 2GR-FE's do seem to like regular M1 5w-30. Get a quality Fram Ultra and run it two intervals (5k each).

Drain and fill the transmission with Toyota WS, good to do considering the age.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

That's [censored]. The pink coolant gets blamed for problems in the 2az-fe too but it's casting issues and bum waterpumps from aisin.

You could be right.. No hard evidence which is why I said anecdotal. But considering that several Toyota mechanics are talking about it and it is happening across several different Toyotas engines/generations, I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility either. Regardless, Toyotas have a lot of premature coolant leaks. My Toyota gave out at 140,000 due to a head gasket coolant leak and I'm not unique.

The pink gets blamed because the problems appeared at the same time they switched from red to Pink

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

There is no way you can feel when your engine needs an oil change.

You need to work on your vehicle relationships. Be a little more sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back