Effectiveness of Car Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
A new report by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that some car headlights did not perform as expected.

Of the 31 cars tested, the Toyota Prius was the only model to receive a good rating by the institute -- but only when the car was equipped with LED lights and high-beam assist (an added cost for the consumer). When the Prius was tested with regular halogen lights and without high-beam assist, it earned a poor rating.

The halogen lights on the BMW 3 series was ranked the worst among the 44 headlight systems that were tested. But another BMW 3 series that was equipped with a swivel LED system tested in the top third.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/report-raises-concerns-effectiveness-car-headlights/story?id=38018199

Quote:
The LED headlights in the Prius V tested were able to illuminate a straight roadway sufficiently to see a pedestrian, bicyclist or obstacle up to 387 feet ahead. At that distance, the vehicle could be traveling up to 70 mph and still have time to stop.

But halogen headlights in the BMW 3 series, the worst-rated models, were able to illuminate only 128 feet ahead. At that distance, the vehicle couldn't be traveling at more than 35 mph and still have time to stop, according to the study.

A supposed high performance sedan only illuminates less than half the distance of around 300 ft ?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-illumin...7--finance.html

They're constrained by cost, just like every other aspect of manufacturing.
PIAA or Osram bulbs and a relayed loom make a BIG difference to any car..

Originally Posted By: Olas
They're constrained by cost, just like every other aspect of manufacturing.
PIAA or Osram bulbs and a relayed loom make a BIG difference to any car..

Yes brand new BMW's don't have massive profit margin already built in?? They are jewelry in the USA and BMW got lazy on the "lessor" halogens. I believe the problem is headlights are part of aesthetic and aerodynamic design before the illumination part comes into play.

The other half of this equation is how far the average driver can actually see when given superior illumination.

Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent ... may have inadequate headlight, but BMW or MB or Audi ... ?

Cheap cars with cheap headlights is understandable, luxury/high-end cars with low-end headlight is hard to understand.

hey boss . I know whats wrong with the truck it isnt needing adjustement . It need ed light and evrrything will be fine!grin

The "wearers" who buy the lightly optioned BMWs don't care about seeing; they only care about being seen...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent ... may have inadequate headlight, but BMW or MB or Audi ... ?

Strange. Wife had a 2008 C-Class with xenon headlights, and I thought they provided excellent visibility.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Strange. Wife had a 2008 C-Class with xenon headlights, and I thought they provided excellent visibility.

They tested new cars. The new C class got rid of the Bi-Xenons and just have the LEDs. The Bi-xenons are better, but they're more expensive and they're not that common. I think the LEDs are standard.

Not surprised. As they came from the factory, headlights on our two cars were junk. Adjusting both sets properly and building a dedicated harness for one car helped quite a bit.

H13 bulbs ought to be banned. Even stock they can melt harnesses, much less when wiring them properly. Just use H4's and call it a day. Much better all-around bulb. But it's not idiot-proofed like a H13.

I am shocked that Acura TLX is found to be marginal! They are equipped with multi-led and one of our esteemed BITOGer (Jason) said the similar one on his parent's MDX were great.

the 02 acura had marginal lights when we first got it. it was far improved with 3rd party oem replacements from a next gen model which used halogen projectors.

I've had two gen 4 chrysler T&Cs. the 2001 had fantastic spread on the road- they were amazing. the identical-looking 2002 was pretty lame.

The 06 tundra was about like the 02 acura before upgrades - it's just adequate. dip beam projectors in the fog housings make it decent.

s60 is really pretty good. It rivals the newer-model projectors in the mdx.

I don't have harnesses or relays on any of them.

Best I've owned as either an 08 grand cherokee or that one T&C.

Last edited:
They know exactly what they are doing.The 96-00 Chrysler minivans were horrible little light units that were barely slits in the bodywork.Complaints flooded in,and the 01-07 generation were a million percent improved.What they should have been and what they should always be.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Yes brand new BMW's don't have massive profit margin already built in??

No, actually, they don't. AFAIK they run some of the smallest margins in the business.

More generally... I think good LED headlights should be standard on all cars, and halogens and HIDs shouldn't even be options.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
More generally... I think good LED headlights should be standard on all cars, and halogens and HIDs shouldn't even be options.

Did you read what I posted earlier? The C class use to have halogens and Bi-Xenons an an option. But I believe the 2015 refresh converted all of them to LED as standard. Now they're saying the LED are the worst. Be careful what you wish for.

Who's going to pay when "Richie Rich" is driving his new BMW 3 series at night and runs over a college student killing her? Did this study just open up a can of worms if?

BTW, I remember Consumers Reports saying when the current generation Corolla came out that it's standard LED headlights "is about the best we've seen". But The Corolla wasn't in this study.

The standard VW Jetta halogens are rated better than the Acura TLX headlights. Acura makes a big deal about headlights on their website.

2ql7qxs.jpg

A supposed high performance sedan only illuminates less than half the distance of around 300 ft ?

Your thread almost needs to be taken as irrelevant when you selectively remove info??

Quote:
the 31 cars tested, the Toyota Prius was the only model to receive a good rating by the institute -- but only when the car was equipped with LED lights and high-beam assist (an added cost for the consumer). When the Prius was tested with regular halogen lights and without high-beam assist, it earned a poor rating.

The halogen lights on the BMW 3 series was ranked the worst among the 44 headlight systems that were tested. But another BMW 3 series that was equipped with a swivel LED system tested in the top third.

So the trend we're seeing is that all halogen lights suck. And this is news how? Toyota couldn't exactly get them right in the same geometry as their "wonderful" LED lights that took the top spot.

Yet Toyota sells low end appliances to the masses, who are more likely to want the cheapest options, while BMW offers halogens (in the US; euro lights are likely different) only for the lowest end loss leader lease cars, since their buyers generally want the higher end/higher performance stuff.

I'd find the Toyota's lousy performance for what would be the common and mainstream light is more of a disappointment than a low end, low number loss leader item.

My 2004 Saab 9-3 had the best lights I've ever used, halogen or HID/LED. They can be done right. But the newest tech is obviously going to do better overall based upon efficiency and total lumen output.

Congrats to Toyota for a great LED light. I like LEDs and I think in the long run them at 4500-5000K is best for driving. But it's all about the beam pattern... And it's expensive to optimize these huge, gaudy lights showing up on so many cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back