Looking to cross donaldson P551604 over to DBL lin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, been a lurker for some time now, but it has come my time to sign up.
I have an 06 6.0 powerstroke that has a bulletproof oil cooler and their filter relocation kit, utilizing the wix 51832. I'm looking for a bit better filtration and so far have been stopped at the donaldson p551604. which I suppose isn't a bad filter but it's not exactly the DBL7349 that I'm running on my cummins either. I can't get a cross for the P series filter into the DBL series. So I've come for your guys expertise. I am also running the amsoil bk21 bypass kit with the eabp100
Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Here is a list of filters for your cross. http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51832

Why do you need or want better filtration than a Wix/Napa Gold?

Clean oil is essential in the design of these engines. The oil not only lubricates, but it also runs the fuel system. It's a HEUI system so I try to maintain clean oil the best I can.
There isn't much filter info for my circumstance though considering I do not utilize the factory filter. There's only a few people using the system I have.

J_mo, I set on the fence a long time over that BPD cooler/filter setup. I did not pull the trigger because of it's location, and it's really a solution that doesn't have a problem. Any front end damage, a deer strike, collision, and you can't drive away from it. It's a source of hot engine oil under pressure, not to mention the repair costs.
I don't think you need any better filtration than you have with the current bypass you are running. Your injectors are happier than 99% of the rest that are out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
J_mo, I set on the fence a long time over that BPD cooler/filter setup. I did not pull the trigger because of it's location, and it's really a solution that doesn't have a problem. Any front end damage, a deer strike, collision, and you can't drive away from it. It's a source of hot engine oil under pressure, not to mention the repair costs.
I don't think you need any better filtration than you have with the current bypass you are running.

The oem location has a high probability of bypassing. Bpd relocation eliminates that issue, however the factory filter is rated to 25um @ 95% where as this wix is 32um. I really don't know why I'm looking further, I have this set up on my other 6.0 with no bypass filtration and it has 280k healthy miles on it. But wherever there is a better solution to anything, I never mind searching for it!

I suppose I have some room to venture out as long as it meets the thread pattern and oem specs
Filter head is 1x12 thread and oem flow is 18gpm. Bypass @ 19psi

Last edited:
I guess what I should say is I don't need to cross that exact filter, it can be larger, the more the merrier lol. As long as it has 1x12 thread and fits the filter base while meeting the needs of the engine. I'd really like to get closer to, or better if possible to the 20um @ 95% of the factory filter.
I've already looked at basically every cross referenced filter for the wix last night. I came here because I'm not happy with what I found. Hoping someone could lead me in a better direction with their expertise.

Doesn't Donaldson or Fleetgaurd make some pretty high efficiency oil filters for diesel applications? I doubt there are any others with that thread size and physical size (for the large flow spec) that aren't already listed in the cross-reference tables provided.

If you want super-duper filtering (99%+ @ 20 microns or less), you may have to go with a bypass filter setup.

Originally Posted By: J_mo
Ended up coming across the lf3656 and I think that's gonna be the winner. $45 a pop though

shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back