Valvoline Asian Vehicle Antifreeze with Zerex Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Got it.
55.gif

Good to know that Honda OEM concentrate, or near enough it won't affect anything, is available at non-dealer sources. That will make future drain/fills a bit easier to do.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Good to know that Honda OEM concentrate, or near enough it won't affect anything, is available at non-dealer sources. That will make future drain/fills a bit easier to do.

There is a Honda Type 2 concentrate intended for cold climates, a dealer in northern Wisconsin had it in stock.

OL999-9020_m.gif

^^^^^Just curious, any idea what the local Honda dealer gets per quart for the concentrate. It's non-premixed Type2.

Bernardi has it for $7.42/qt. If I did a complete exchange on my Accord would need to buy 4 qts to get ~50% AF concentration. So ~$30 a gallon (not including ~$21 shipping). 'Maybe' local dealer might match Bern online price. If not, using Bern list ~$9.50 qt.

PB OEM brand (pick your tint) concentrate below, ~$22/gal. That said, been running Peak Global Lifetime (~$15.50/gal Napa) concentrate with distilled in 01 Tacoma for a couple/few years now, still with original rad. Recovery tank and rad look good.

OEM-Extended-Life-Bottle-BLUE_A.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac
PB OEM brand (pick your tint) concentrate below, ~$22/gal. That said, been running Peak Global Lifetime (~$15.50/gal Napa) concentrate with distilled in 01 Tacoma for a couple/few years now, still with original rad. Recovery tank and rad look good.

Me too. I have Peak Global Lifetime(concentrate) in my S2000 for 7-8 months now, after a flush with distilled water. Everything looks good so far, according to Ultra gauge the coolant temperature is the same as with OEM coolant at around 183-186 F on highway and 190-195 in stop and go traffic.

The reason I like concentrate is there is water remained in the system after a flush, by pouring in concentrate to 50% of capacity and top off with water I have 50-50 antifreeze-water in my system.

^^^That's what I did with the Tacoma, distilled flush series till clear or close. The fill PGL to 50% system capacity, top with distilled.

I'll say the PB OEM concentrate is intriguing for an Asian vehicles, especially so if it could be caught on sale or with a promo code. But, PGL has been great in the Tacoma and no regrets.

And I'll back track on the Type2 concentrate. Looking at further at the info, it a very specialized AF designed to be used take a system to 60% concentration by adding AF to radiator after draining of the 'some' of old out. It's not designed/intended for use with a complete system exchange, which is my preference.

50% AF concentration takes it to -34F which for 'most' in the States is plenty. If not, when using a concentrate one can up the concentration some. Another advantage of using a concentrate like PGL or PB OEM brand.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^^Just curious, any idea what the local Honda dealer gets per quart for the concentrate. It's non-premixed Type2.

Bernardi has it for $7.42/qt. If I did a complete exchange on my Accord would need to buy 4 qts to get ~50% AF concentration. So ~$30 a gallon (not including ~$21 shipping). 'Maybe' local dealer might match Bern online price. If not, using Bern list ~$9.50 qt.

OEM-Extended-Life-Bottle-BLUE_A.jpg

My guess is that all of these OEM LL coolants are the same formula with a different color dye to match the OE coolant. What do you think? I picked up a gallon of 'blue' for my Hyundai (on sale @ $14.99) before noticing that 'green' is also mentioned for Hyundai. I would think they are the exact same formula? Would you?

PS: I've been running PGL in my Corolla for several years without an issue.

Originally Posted By: pbm
...My guess is that all of these OEM LL coolants are the same formula with a different color dye to match the OE coolant. What do you think? I picked up a gallon of 'blue' for my Hyundai (on sale @ $14.99) before noticing that 'green' is also mentioned for Hyundai. I would think they are the exact same formula? Would you?

PS: I've been running PGL in my Corolla for several years without an issue.

That is my conclusion too. All same LL Asian PHOAT concentrate, just tinted to match the vehicle manufacturer's oem tint. So, OEM brand 'blue' same as OEM brand 'green'. No problem using them interchangeably. Excellent price for that btw.

I have never had a problem with Dexcool in a vehicle that originally came equipped with it.

But I'll never let that stuff touch any vehicle that did not come with it.

I have started converting all of my GM vehicles over to Shell Rotella Ultra ELC, so I can have one coolant for the whole fleet.

I prefer the molybdate inhibitor package over nitrites, silicate, or 2-EHA. U ELC also has inhibitors for all known system materials, especially the copper, bronze, and solder neglected by almost all extended life coolants out there.

I guess I should have asked : if both coolants meet the same specs but are different colors can they be mixed? I knw that Peak Global is Yellow so that hen used to top off it won't affect the original fill's color.

The non-toyota Asians can be mixed. Pentofrost actually makes them in different colors to match your OE type (A1, A2, A3, etc) - but since they are the same no one really stocks them and just uses the default Toyota red.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I guess I should have asked : if both coolants meet the same specs but are different colors can they be mixed? I knw that Peak Global is Yellow so that hen used to top off it won't affect the original fill's color.

Other than color matching the oem, the color/tint has no effect on AF's compatibility. Not sure of the topic AF color, but based on recommendations on jug, the description, and being premix, same as ZAF only made for WM stores. It is a Long Life Asian PHOAT like current Honda Type2, Toyota SLL, and the new premix AF from Nissan and other Asian extended service interval AF's. It can be mixed with any, even the older shorter interval PHOATs like Toy LL red.

One note on Pentofrost, looking at their Asian AF line up. The Red and the Green concentrate are the older shorter service interval AF's, whereas the blue and pink premix are the newer like Honda Type 2 and Toyota SLL. Otoh, Pep Boys OEM brand are all the longer service interval AFs and also come as a concentrate.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I have a Tacoma, and flushed the radiator a few years ago, refilling with Zerex Asian, which my research showed to be exactly the same stuff as Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant). As someone mentioned above, it meets Toyota's demand for a silicate and borate-free coolant.

If I remember right, Toyota LLC (Long Life Coolant), the red stuff, can also be used, but the drain interval is shorter.

I also seem to recall from my research that the Zerex stuff is made by Ashland, which is also Toyota's supplier. So it makes sense that it's now also being sold under the Valvoline brand. That's a good thing, as I recall having to go out of my way to obtain the Zerex Asian a few years ago. Had to go to NAPA to get it, as your regular Auto Zones and Advances, etc, didn't carry it back then. Maybe they do now.

Went into Advance Auto a couple of weeks ago. Haven't been in there for a while. They now started carrying the Zerex Asian. Zerex G-05 as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. Looks like a repackaged Zerex Asian: the same components list. they just added some part numbers, e.g. Toyota 002472-SLLC2 for the pink Toyota SLLC, but the chemical make-up is not the same. FWIW, it may work, but not for everything and not for the period of time claimed. Ashland's Green also claims 5 years and 150000 miles in their brochure, and that could be the case, but I would be more comfortable, if they disclose what "Corrosion Inhibitors" and "Defoamers" (per the label)they put in. As always, watching risk-reward and cost-benefit doesn't hurt.
Toyota SLLC, part number 00272-SLLC2 clearly states Sebacic Acid (111-20-6) and Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3) that are nowhere to be found on the Zerex labels. It may do all they claim, it may be even 'better', but it's not the same.

I haven't used this stuff yet but we have Honda,Toyota,and Ford vehicles in the family fleet that have been flushed and refilled with universal extended life coolant 2X in the last 10(approx) years. No water pump or other failures at this point. I think the key as mentioned earlier is to fully flush out the old coolant and to only use distilled water combined with the replacement coolant.

However, after reading this thread, maybe I need to rethink things
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back