Mountain Bike under 1000 bucks budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NO2
I'd go with a 29" hardtail and change to some road tires. The mountain bikes are more durable but gearing is not appropriate for high speed riding. If you want to buy new, look at mail order places like Bike Nashbar or Performance.

I don't think mtb gearing is good for roadbike racing, but short of that, 3x8 or 3x9 gearing has a close enough ratio for almost any for fun riding I can think of?

I'd go to the good local bike shop and get their $1000 mtb with them sizing and setting it up for recreation riding. You'll get a free tune up or two as well and you'll get good service from them when you need it. At $1000 they are all pretty good IMO, even for hard riding the only thing I'd really get picky about is flexy forks.

Sarcasm maybe. Or it's awakened some bike envy
smile.gif
Or regret for not looking there before buying new.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Check on used bikes. There are some good deals because people get tired of them or realize that they really don't like riding.

There's going to be some bikes available as soon as the New Year's resolutions start failing.

Horrible suggestion. I just checked my local Craigslist, and found about 3 high-end road bikes that I want, at a fraction of what they sold for new. And they all probably have less than 200 miles on them.

So how is that a horrible suggestion?

I bought a Trek Marlin 29er about 3 years ago.$700.00 I think was the price. Very good bike. I would buy again. I mainly use on Railtrails and roads. Bought my son a Kona Splice for about $500.00 3 years ago. A 29er also. Both Mountain Bikes.My son gets a lot more use than mine but both bikes are holding up well. My brother-in-law has a 4 year old Giant mountain bike ( i forget the model) that gets lots of use and is in great shape.We all maintain and take good care of them. all bike are not abused but get lots of use.Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: NO2

I also bought a Trek DS 8.5 hybrid from my LBS , great ride, but the rims are garbage. I'm on my 3rd Bontrager rim so far.

It's not the rims, it's the machine built wheels. Pay to have an experienced wheel builder hand lace up a set of wheels and you won't be replacing them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back