Cummins big cam three uoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a big cam 3 400 hp cummins. Phillips gaurdol 15/40 with Ti. 365 hrs 1.5 gal make up in a kW that pulls a belly dump.this oil has sat in motor since November was warmed up sampled and changed this is cat sos. Thought tbn would be included I'll request it next time want to run oil to 400 hr this oci what do you think. Thanks.
[/list]
  • St17 oxi 16 nit7 sul19 w- a- f- v-100 13.2 oil condition ct/ml
    • Cu 2 fe 20 cr2 al2 pb3 sn0 si5 na4 k0 b 60 mo1 ni 1 ag 0 ca1912 mg334 zn1209 p 1076 wear metals ppm

Originally Posted By: Skyline
This is a big cam 3 400 hp cummins. Phillips gaurdol 15/40 with Ti. 365 hrs 1.5 gal make up in a kW that pulls a belly dump.this oil has sat in motor since November was warmed up sampled and changed this is cat sos. Thought tbn would be included I'll request it next time want to run oil to 400 hr this oci what do you think. Thanks.
[/list]
    • Cu 2 fe 20 cr2 al2 pb3 sn0 si5 na4 k0 b 60 mo1 ni 1 ag 0 ca1912 mg334 zn1209 p 1076 wear metals ppm

Could you repeat the above again, in english?

Those are nice engines. Though not an expert nor pretending to be one the wear metals are low and the viscosity seems ok. 15w-14 oil?

[/list]

Lemme see if I can translate.
      *cough cough*
      Quote:

This is a Big Cam III Cummins with 400HP. Oil used is Phillips Guardol ECT 15W40 with Titanium. Oil was in use for 365 hours and needed 1.5 Gallons of makup oil in a Kenworth that pulls a belly dump. Oil was in service since November. Engine was warmed up and the oil was changed with a sample taken and sent to Cat SOS. I thought TBN would be included, but Ill request it next time. I want to run 400 hours on this OCI, What do you all think?

Code:

Copper 2

Iron 20

Chromium 2

Aluminium 2

Lead 3

Tin 0

Silicon 5

Sodium 4

Potassium 0

Boron 60

Molybdenum 1

Nickel 1

Silver 0

Calcium 1912

Magnesium 334

Zinc 1209

Phosphorous 1076

Soot .17%

Oxid 16

Nitr 7

Sulfation 19

Water Negative

Antifreeze Negative

Fuel Negative

Visc 13.2cSt@100C

Thank you and please send any corrections to yourself.

Thanks Can't figure out how to get my iPad to do that Yes it is 15w40 semisynthetic conoco Phillips

If that soot number is 17%....wow. I've never had a mechanical pump engine tested so I wouldn't know what to expect. The viscosity is in great shape for that much soot and wear metals look great. The silicon is low too, especially considering what you do with the truck. I don't see any problem going up to 400 as you mentioned.

In the early nineties I drove an International with that same engine pulling tankers. I thought it was a fantastic engine.

Edit- for those wondering, Cat labs (that I've used) don't test for titanium. This oil is the twin to Kendall with titanium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
[/list]

Lemme see if I can translate.
      *cough cough*
      Quote:

This is a Big Cam III Cummins with 400HP. Oil used is Phillips Guardol ECT 15W40 with Titanium. Oil was in use for 365 hours and needed 1.5 Gallons of makup oil in a Kenworth that pulls a belly dump. Oil was in service since November. Engine was warmed up and the oil was changed with a sample taken and sent to Cat SOS. I thought TBN would be included, but Ill request it next time. I want to run 400 hours on this OCI, What do you all think?

Code:

Copper 2

Iron 20

Chromium 2

Aluminium 2

Lead 3

Tin 0

Silicon 5

Sodium 4

Potassium 0

Boron 60

Molybdenum 1

Nickel 1

Silver 0

Calcium 1912

Magnesium 334

Zinc 1209

Phosphorous 1076

Soot .17%

Oxid 16

Nitr 7

Sulfation 19

Water Negative

Antifreeze Negative

Fuel Negative

Visc 13.2cSt@100C

Thank you and please send any corrections to yourself.

No way that soot is only .17% unless he's got a super duper bypass filter
      smile.gif
      . I could see it as 1.7% but it does say 17.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

No way that soot is only .17% unless he's got a super duper bypass filter
smile.gif
. I could see it as 1.7% but it does say 17.

*shrug* I tried my best. In retrospect I was looking at a gas engine UOA from CAT to help me translate so I was thinking it was the right spot. You are right, it is probably 1.7%. I doubt its 17%; it would be sludge!

The sos sheet says particle count (ct/ml) . Does that mean 17 per ml I don't know how to convert that to a percentage thanks for all the replies it does have a spin on by pass filter all the older cummins did all filters on this truck are Napa gold thanks again

The sos sheet says particle count (ct/ml) . Does that mean 17 per ml I don't know how to convert that to a percentage thanks for all the replies it does have a spin on by pass filter all the older cummins did all filters on this truck are Napa gold thanks again

If you're referring to the 17 in the soot column, that is percentage. The particle count is a separate category. Some Cat labs test particle count and others require you to request the testing. If you have particle counts listed it will give you the size of wear particles in microns.

It will give you the number of particles in terms of >4 microns, >7, >10 microns etc. It's been a long time since I looked at a Cat SOS report but I think those are some sizes they used to list. The lower # of each of those the better. Anyway that's where you're seeing count/ml and soot is listed as percentage just like oxidation, sulfation and nitration.

I'm glad you have a bypass filter. I couldn't remember what Cummins used on the older ones. My N14 had one big filter that was a combo full flow/bypass. Whether or not that 17% is accurate, old mechanical fuel pump engines aren't as precise as an electronic fuel injection so it stands to reason for you to have more soot. I never owned a mechanical pump engine so I've never sampled/tested one. As a teen, I helped maintain a fleet of Macks with centrifugal (Spinner II) bypass filters. The amount of soot that was turned into a cake and removed at the time of oil change was stunning.

I'm wondering if the soot is actually percentage of an allowable number. That would make more sense because the oil looks very healthy and viscosity is typical for 15W40 in a heavy duty diesel.

Carry on and extend as you wish.

I find it hard to believe that there was negative fuel present in the sample. I think the last year of the Big Cam 3 was 1986? Those motors were great back in the day but not the most efficient..

I was surprised that there was no fuel but that is what cat says . The turbo is a year old injectors two years old .l agree they weren't fuel sippers but in this application it gets twice the mileage of a I S X stuck in regen and less electronic stuff to come loose thanks all

Report looks great. Resample at 500 hrs and see how it looks. Take good care of that engine and it will last a long time with minimal fuss.

Soot in a SOS report is reported in % of allowable. They would flag it if too high, and you would expect to see increased viscosity as well.

I think everybody is on the right track. Mechanical fuel systems created a fair amount of soot but the particles are so small that a typical filter won't trap them, hence Mack's use of a centrifugal filter. If that was my engine I would be very pleased with the numbers. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back